9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 11:36 PM by WildStormPhotos

Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch

astalsberg

Hi there!

So, here's the thing. I am trying to use Premiere Clip to do an easy cut on my tablet (iPad Air 2), but I want to send it to Premiere to refine the cut with Premiere Pro.
      Just like advertised here: Refine a Premiere Clip video in Premiere Pro | Adobe Creative Cloud Mobile Apps Tutorials

However...

I'm sitting here with a test project to try and do just that. I have a title and I have a clip following it (taken from Creative Cloud allready), then another title.

- I try to send my file to Premiere by pressing: "Edit in Premiere Pro".

- The only reponse I get is: "Could not send the project. Unable to send this project to Creative Cloud because some of your media is still synching. Please try again in a few minutes."

Now, as error messages go, this one is pretty good. Explains the problem and tells me to wait. So I wait.. However, I also notice the loading icon in the top left.

So, I press this to see the uploading media going on. Now at 150%... Only to reach 199%, then reset back to 0% and start all over (it is trying to upload the file allready taken from Creative Cloud).

This has been going on for the last 2 hours.

1: Is this a firewall issue?
      2: Is this a bug?
      3: Why wont it update?

Any tips/clues would be more than welcome.

• 1. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Does the project include any clips with a duration of about 4-8 minutes? That's the source clip's duration, not the duration of trimmed instances of the clip within your timeline.

If your project contains any clips of this size, then you are almost certainly hitting a known issue with clips of about 500MB to 1GB, one signature of which is that the Sync Status dialog reports that uploading reaches 100%, then resets to 0% and climbs to 200%. In some cases, uploading completes successfully after reaching 200%, but sometimes it just resets to 0% yet again.

We're working on a fix for this issue. In the meantime, I'm afraid there's no workaround--at least not for existing clips that are larger than about 500GB. For future projects, you can skirt this issue by keeping your clips shorter than about 4 minutes.

As for a workaround for your immediate purpose of getting the project to Premiere Pro, the following should work:

1. Delete from the project any clips that come from a file larger than 500GB. To facilitate re-inserting a clips in Premiere Pro, you might want to insert a title in its place with enough info to remind you of which clip goes there.
          2. After the project has finished syncing, go Publish>Edit in Premiere Pro
          3. Use Creative Cloud (or Dropbox or some other cloud storage service) to get the large clip(s) from your mobile device the computer that's running Premiere Pro
          4. In Premiere Pro, open the Adobe Clip project, import the large clip, and add it back to the timeline.

Of course, this is a feasible option only if your project also includes other assets that are smaller than about 500 MB...

Let us know if your project does not contain any clips larger than 500GB. In that case, we'll want to investigate further to determine what's going awry in your case.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 2. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
            astalsberg Level 1

And the winner is #2 "Is this a bug?

File size is 846 MB, so yes, that would indeed be the issue.
            The replacement of the clip with a title to remind me works just fine thank you.

And the fact that you are working on a fix for this issue, is just good news in my ears!

Thanks for a good and quick answer.

• 3. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
              KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional
              • I captured footage that is causing the "over 4 minutes" error (5:40 trt)
              • On the iPad, I went into Photos and Trimmed the footage to less than 3 minutes
              • I saved the footage as new video.
              • I used the new, short video segments in my edit (rather than the 5:40 source)

I still have the error.

Is it possible that the iPad isn't actually creating new videos? But instead, it is creating markers to playback the original footage with new IN/OUT points?

I'll test it further once I have completed the edit and delivered the final.

• 4. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
                NathanOdellin Level 1

Im having the same contunal issue - it is driving me insane. Why do Adobe keep rolling out products that crash constantly!

I've made a 5 minute promo video containing about 20 short clips - each clip is about 10 seconds long and no larger than 88mb each.

All went perfectly wel in premiere clip, really useful tool for quick selection of clips and buidling a fast story. BUT THEN, as soon as I go to share in desktop premiere - NOTHING, ZIP! just spinnning wheel and the same error message as the inital post.

I've restarted machine, tried re installing desktop creative cloud app, but nothing works. Assets Sunc is 'ON' - and I've also just intalled an app through creative cloud, all fine.

I watched a youtube video of 'clip' in action by an adobe expert - it looked amazing and incredible quick sync almost immediately to desktop premiere. I have a five minute tiny video, and absolutely nothing syncs or works to either lcoud or desktop. Useless!

• 5. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch

My personal experience:

I've found Premiere Clip's success in linking relies heavily on several elements (All of which vary).  I recorded a travelogue in short bursts, but when adding up all of those small segments, the sync was still very big.

• WiFi connection speed and reliability.  Of course everyone knows, but uploading video (10 minutes of full res iPhone video with handles - even in little chunks) takes a really long time. For me on ATT Uverse = hours for multiple projects.
                  • The number of projects you have "active".  I used to have several projects active in Clip.  During sync, Premiere Clip would try to resolve the media from all of those.  Bad idea.  Now, I only keep one project active... or at least I try. (see my feature request post)
                  • Consider the number of devices you have on and trying to actively sync with your Premiere Clip account through your WiFi.  I own two iPads (16, 64G) and an iPhone (128G, just for video). I do not recommend trying to sync all of their different projects at once.  USE ONE DEVICE.

20 * :10 = about 3 minutes

20 * 10 second clips is about what I had in my video, edited down to about a minute.

Sounds like you might have used pictures and title cards too?  Those take a little more time, but the video is the real bandwidth hog.

• Consider: Premiere Clip is uploading your WHOLE SOURCE.  So, although some of the shots I edited down to a 2 second event, they were shot as 5~10 second source movies.  Premiere Pro wants handles for editing, so you get the whole source video (trim handle option on my wish list).

I'm sure I've missed something more that might help, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.  I shot a bunch of stuff at SIGGRAPH EXPO 2015 with Premiere Clip, and I have one more thing I need to try in order to solve our (all of our) upload dilemmas.

• 6. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch

Mark,

How do we get 500GB movies onto an iPad or iPhone?!

<I think he meant 500 MB>

Now I want a TB phone!   #neverdelete

Mark Mapes wrote:

We're working on a fix for this issue. In the meantime, I'm afraid there's no workaround--at least not for existing clips that are larger than about 500GB

1. Delete from the project any clips that come from a file larger than 500GB. To facilitate re-inserting a clips in Premiere Pro, you might want to insert a title in its place with enough info to remind you of which clip goes there

Let us know if your project does not contain any clips larger than 500GB. In that case, we'll want to investigate further to determine what's going awry in your case.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 7. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
                      NathanOdellin Level 1

"

• Consider: Premiere Clip is uploading your WHOLE SOURCE.  So, although some of the shots I edited down to a 2 second event, they were shot as 5~10 second source movies.  Premiere Pro wants handles for editing, so you get the whole source video (trim handle option on my wish list)."

Now THATS interesting. I mean it makes sense from a retrospective view point that clip retains the whole source, thats a good thing actually. That's possibly the issue I am having, all of my clips are heavily clipped with intro/outro points, but the clips themselves probably all run for about 8 seconds so my overall 2 minute shoot is probably (in actual fact) around 5-6 minutes long, running from background source. Interesting!

For al those new to clip then, it's proably worth noting the above and perhaps storyboard your clips before working on your edits. i.e try and use imported clips with just a bit of leeway room either side of your actual chosen footage rather than have loads of extra legroom - that will cause a whole lot of sync delay I expect.

An addendum to my original post/issue. As is usually the way with Adobe cloud products, my sync issue magically disappeard without me doing anything new - things just kicked into action and I am now able to sync from clip back to Premiere without issue (other than quite long sync times). Go figure!

My initial thoughts about clip are that it is a really great tool for previewing any clips you have stored / shot on your iPad or iPhone and for organising things into quick sequences. Its great to have quick access to clips and use your fingers to quickly organise and swap around files - LOVE it for that, its so much nicer and more fluid than having to search through files on the computer and organise into folders with a mouse. The problem with clip though, if you're working in a more serious capacity in conjunction with Premiere pro, is the syncing capability and its speed. The time you save initially organising things in clip, is almost immeditaely lost as soon as you then need to transport over to Premiere for further editing. You just sit there for ages twiddling thumbs and thinking 'why didnt I just start work directly in Premiere'!

Painful is a bit dramatic, but you know what I mean!

I work on a super ramped up macbook pro, have a maxed out iPad Air 2 / iphone 5s and 40mg internet so when I'm sat around for 15 minutes waiting for Clip to sync a 2 minute video containing 10 or so iphone clips, I can't help think.....why bother! But the previous point above about Clip syncing WHOLE source now sheds a bit of light on potential lag time with syncing.

Final thoughts: if you intend to build rough and ready short films directly inside Clip (like you would with iMovie) then it's probably a good iMovie contender. If you intend to use Clip as part of a professsional workflow, you will probably only get real benefit if you first take stock or your raw footage and think about sequences and timings before you actually start to bring your footage into Clip. If Clip is dumping whole source files from your sequences every single time you sync over to Premiere desktop, you're gonna end up pulling your hair out......I'm half bald already!

Happy shooting!

• 8. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
                        NathanOdellin Level 1

I'm not on my iPad just now so I can't check to see how it works exactly, but another point that I've just realised, is that Clip will be exporting ALL project clips that you have stored inside the project, irrespective of whether you are actually using all of them inside your Clip sequence.

I need to check this out when I'm back inside clip, but if the above is true then another way to speed up syncing would be to only import footage into Clip that you fully intend to use - don't have tons of footage inside your Clip project sat there simply for backup/storage.......it's gonna sync ALL of this stuff out and not just your Clip built sequence.

(I may be wrong about this but I can't remember off the top of my head how clip uses / stores your movie files, sequences and projects. I need to check)

• 9. Re: Refine clip in premiere pro wont synch
                          WildStormPhotos

Has the 500MB file size issue been fixed yet? I'm still seeing massively slow sync times and even when it appears to have sync'd (shows dohe) I still get the error about still uploading clips when I try and export to Premiere Pro.