3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 4:24 AM by runeneverno

Font name inconsistency when opening AE Mac (?) projects on Windows

runeneverno Level 1

AE CC 2014 13.2.0.49

I have a project that I think have been exported from a Mac, where the Dependencies > Collect files.. function have been used.

The included report .txt file says:

Layer:  Text Layer

External dependencies:

Font family: “ITC Avant Garde Gothic”, Font style: “Bold”

Font family: “ITC Avant Garde Gothic”, Font style: “Extra Light”

Font family: “ITC Avant Garde Gothic”, Font style: “Medium”

Font family: “ITCAvantGardePro”, Font style: “Bk”

When AE opens the project, however, it complains about "AvantGarde" missing:

gQgo7N7.png

Using the "Missing fonts" search functionality and finding some text layer I see:

t6g2rZu.png

Now, the thing is, I have all the ITC Avant Garde Gothic fonts installed... the entire package of all variants..

Why does it show as "AvantGarde" in AE, and why doesn't it load properly since I have the font installed? (I can perfectly well set the font manually..)

If I in FontForge open up one of the .otf files that the designer eventually sent me and check the TTF names, I don't see any "AvantGarde" name for this font:

lPusCVY.png

Opening the .AEP file in HxD (hex editor) I see various references to "AvantGarde-Medium" etc:

UZcbBES.png

In fact, I can't even find a single reference to "ITC" in the .AEP other than the reference to ITCAvantGardePro-Bk.

I was wondering if there was some functionality on MacOS to make aliases for fonts, but since I am not a Mac person, I don't know.

Why is the .txt report referring to the full name, but then there's this other name in the project?

• 1. Re: Font name inconsistency when opening AE Mac (?) projects on Windows
          runeneverno Level 1

For what it's worth, I did a small script to traverse the project and find all fonts:

var fonts = {};

for (var i=1; app.project.items.length>=i; i++)

{

var it = app.project.item(i);

if (it instanceof CompItem)

{

for (var j=1; it.layers.length>=j; j++)

{

var lay = it.layer(j);

if (lay instanceof TextLayer)

{

var tx = lay.property("Text").property("Source Text").value;

if (fonts[tx.font] == null)

fonts[tx.font] = { font: tx.font, family: tx.fontFamily, style: tx.fontStyle, path: tx.fontLocation };

}

}

}

}

$.writeln("---------------- These are the fonts: ----------------");

for (var k in fonts)

{

var f = fonts[k];

$.writeln("    \"" + f.font + "\" (family: \"" + f.family + "\", style: \"" + f.style + "\", path: \"" + f.path + "\")");

}

This prints the following:

---------------- These are the fonts: ----------------

"AvantGarde-Bold" (family: "AvantGarde", style: "Bold", path: "C:\Windows\Fonts\MyriadPro-Regular.otf")

"AvantGarde-Medium" (family: "AvantGarde", style: "Medium", path: "C:\Windows\Fonts\MyriadPro-Regular.otf")

"ITCAvantGardePro-Bk" (family: "ITCAvantGardePro", style: "Bk", path: "C:\Windows\Fonts\MyriadPro-Regular.otf")

I couldn't find a way of checking if the font was missing (like .footageMissing AVLayer), but clearly the use of Myriad is a pointer that it's missing.

• 2. Re: Font name inconsistency when opening AE Mac (?) projects on Windows
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check for new versions of the font. Perhaps it's simply an older version and the internal engine has it blacklisted.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Font name inconsistency when opening AE Mac (?) projects on Windows
              runeneverno Level 1

I suspect it is just that the designers have made a copy of the font or variation of it, and just named it differently, and that the copied font filename is actually "AvantGarde" but that the font family which it is a copy of was "ITC Avant Garde Gothic Std", which would still be the listed file within the metadata of the font file.