3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 4:04 AM by MDFB

What Colour Management settings should I use to ensure correct Pantone and CMYK values for print and then conversion to web?

MDFB

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help. I seem to have opened a colour management can of worms and have now disappeared down the rabbit hole of profiles – leaving me well-intentioned but unsure. Here’s where I am:

The company I work for has two corporate colours. One is a Pantone and the other a specific CMYK value. They are:

Pantone 021 C – Orange

C=100 M=70 Y=0 K=10 – Blue

I’m about to set about recolouring a large number of two colour (orange/blue) vector images in Illustrator that I previously made when given incorrect values. Since then I’ve become more aware of colour management, something I’m on the cusp of ‘getting’ but I need to make that final leap to enlightenment.

My first question is: What colour management setting should I be using in Adobe Bridge? There are so many to choose from. I had assume that one of the Europe setting would be correct as I’m based in the UK, but a brief conversations with the designer at my printers revealed he used U.S. Web Coated (SWOP). I get the feeling this is such a newb question that the answer may be “it depends,” but I need to understand the “on what” part.

Which leads to my second question: I need to convert my CMYK illustrations to RGB for use on our website. I think I’m right in saying that depending on what settings I choose in Adobe Bridge will influence the converted RGB values. I’m going to need to ensure consistency and also include this in a style guide for both print and web.

Which leads me to a third question: Am I doing this the wrong way around? I keep picking up that I should have an RGB workflow and convert to CMYK at the end. If this is the case, how can I ensure that when converted the images etc. will match the Pantone and CMYK values above?

Help! I really need a mentor I can go to on things like this.

Many thanks,

Matt.

• 1. Re: What Colour Management settings should I use to ensure correct Pantone and CMYK values for print and then conversion to web?
          jdanek Level 4

Hello,  let me try to help.  I'm in the USA.  If you are in the UK, things may be different...

My first question is: What colour management setting should I be using in Adobe Bridge? There are so many to choose from. I had assume that one of the Europe setting would be correct as I’m based in the UK, but a brief conversations with the designer at my printers revealed he used U.S. Web Coated (SWOP). I get the feeling this is such a newb question that the answer may be “it depends,” but I need to understand the “on what” part.

- This really depends on the print vendor and what their RIP requirements are.  That's the "depends" part.  However, using a SWOP Coated profile may or may not be enough.  Here in the USA, I tend to use SWOP Coated Sheetfed v2.

Which leads to my second question: I need to convert my CMYK illustrations to RGB for use on our website. I think I’m right in saying that depending on what settings I choose in Adobe Bridge will influence the converted RGB values. I’m going to need to ensure consistency and also include this in a style guide for both print and web.

- I avoid Bridge settings.  Instead, I set the Color Settings in the applications.  In Illustrator, I use Save-for-Web.  I may convert using sRGB.

Which leads me to a third question: Am I doing this the wrong way around? I keep picking up that I should have an RGB workflow and convert to CMYK at the end. If this is the case, how can I ensure that when converted the images etc. will match the Pantone and CMYK values above?

- No.  You are doing it the right way.  Set your CMYK settings workspace to SWOP Coated v2; RGB workspace to Adobe RGB; with the exception of web conversions, use sRGB.

• 2. Re: What Colour Management settings should I use to ensure correct Pantone and CMYK values for print and then conversion to web?
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Systems Technology wrote:

My first question is: What colour management setting should I be using in Adobe Bridge?

In sync with Photoshop, see:

http://digitaldog.net/files/Photoshop_Color_Settings.mov

And I agree that using Convert to Web, sRGB is the best you can do for conversions. It would be useful if the CMYK working space in Color Settings actually defined the process you use to get CMYK in the first place.

And yes, you're doing this a bit backwards, use the original tagged RGB data to get to sRGB, as well as to get to CMYK.

• 3. Re: What Colour Management settings should I use to ensure correct Pantone and CMYK values for print and then conversion to web?
              MDFB Level 1

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a lot closer to understanding where to go on this. Best wishes, Matthew.