16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 3:12 AM by herbinp91287454

Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?

scan reg
      Hi All

How do you erase backgrounds from images, especially images with complex backgrounds?

Is there a good plugin?

I've seen one or two programs that have "Background Erasers", but it looks like Fireworks doesn't have such a thing.

Any thought most appreciated - thanks :-)
        • 1. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
          NewDevGuy
          Here's a tutorial from a site I use (you may need to register to view but it's a free site).

http://www.sxc.hu/blog/post/401

Many of these tutorials are written for photoshop but you should be able to find the necessary corresponding steps in Fireworks without any problem.
          • 2. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
            MAM_Racing_40
            For deleting objects and things out of the backgrounds I use the eraser and the rubber stamp tools. They do a pretty good job for me.
            • 4. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
              Level 7
              Have a look at this excellent tutorial....

http://tinyurl.com/t7hxf

Peter
              |
              | How do you erase backgrounds from images, especially images with complex
              | backgrounds?
              |
              | Is there a good plugin?
              |
              | I've seen one or two programs that have "Background Erasers", but it looks
              | like Fireworks doesn't have such a thing.
              |
              | Any thought most appreciated - thanks :-)
              |

• 5. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                Level 7
                On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:24:27 +0300, scan reg
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Hi All
                >
                > How do you erase backgrounds from images, especially images with complex
                > backgrounds?
                >
                > Is there a good plugin?

I must admit I yet have to try this one myself under FW, but since it's
                free, you can do the tests for free yourself:

http://research.graphicon.ru/computer-vision/image-processing/gml-matting.html

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                • 6. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                  Level 7
                  Hi, Ilya,

I've just had a quick go with it, and it looks promising, thanks for the
                  link.

Peter
                  | On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:24:27 +0300, scan reg
                  | <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
                  |
                  | > Hi All
                  | >
                  | > How do you erase backgrounds from images, especially images with
                  complex
                  | > backgrounds?
                  | >
                  | > Is there a good plugin?
                  |
                  | I must admit I yet have to try this one myself under FW, but since it's
                  | free, you can do the tests for free yourself:
                  |
                  |
                  http://research.graphicon.ru/computer-vision/image-processing/gml-matting.html
                  |
                  | --
                  | Ilya Razmanov
                  | http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

• 7. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                    Level 7
                    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:52:26 +0300, PJR
                    <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote:

> I've just had a quick go with it, and it looks promising, thanks for the
                    > link.

Probably I was too quick about recommending their stuff, now I re-checked
                    some and see that it doesn't seem to be compatible with FW MX (although it
                    seem to work under PS). But then again, I must admit that distribution
                    files were updated recently, so I have to update my set. All in all, you
                    better do some tests yourself ;-) After all, I have enough problems with
                    making *my own* plugins compatible and working, I can't be held
                    responsible when it comes to someone else's plugins, I only give links and
                    then you make the decision ;-)

--
                    Ilya Razmanov
                    • 8. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                      Level 7
                      Ilya Razmanov wrote:
                      > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:52:26 +0300, PJR
                      > <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I've just had a quick go with it, and it looks promising, thanks for the
                      >> link.
                      >
                      > Probably I was too quick about recommending their stuff, now I
                      > re-checked some and see that it doesn't seem to be compatible with FW MX
                      > (although it seem to work under PS). But then again, I must admit that
                      > distribution files were updated recently, so I have to update my set.
                      > All in all, you better do some tests yourself ;-) After all, I have
                      > enough problems with making *my own* plugins compatible and working, I
                      > can't be held responsible when it comes to someone else's plugins, I
                      > only give links and then you make the decision ;-)
                      >
                      > --Ilya Razmanov
                      > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

It does seem to work quite well in DW8 :-)

--
                      chin chin
                      Sinclair
                      • 9. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                        Level 7
                        .... and FW's 8 :-)

Peter
                        | > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:52:26 +0300, PJR
                        | > <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote:
                        | >
                        | >> I've just had a quick go with it, and it looks promising, thanks for
                        the
                        | >> link.
                        | >
                        | > Probably I was too quick about recommending their stuff, now I
                        | > re-checked some and see that it doesn't seem to be compatible with FW MX
                        | > (although it seem to work under PS). But then again, I must admit that
                        | > distribution files were updated recently, so I have to update my set.
                        | > All in all, you better do some tests yourself ;-) After all, I have
                        | > enough problems with making *my own* plugins compatible and working, I
                        | > can't be held responsible when it comes to someone else's plugins, I
                        | > only give links and then you make the decision ;-)
                        | >
                        | > --Ilya Razmanov
                        | > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                        |
                        | It does seem to work quite well in DW8 :-)
                        |
                        |
                        | --
                        | chin chin
                        | Sinclair

• 10. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                          Level 7
                          On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:52:26 +0300, PJR
                          <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote:

> Hi, Ilya,
                          >
                          > I've just had a quick go with it, and it looks promising, thanks for the
                          > link.

Oh well, I'm refreshing the compatibility part:

Their GML Matting definitely is compatible with FW. The interface is very
                          close to Photoshop's "Extract" feature. I yet have to make comparisons
                          regarding the efficiency of both, but at the first glance this plugin seem
                          to be comparable to PS feature. Taking into account the fact that the
                          plugin is free...

PS: and "just in case", no, I'm not affiliated with that folks in any way.
                          In fact, taking into account some competition between the Universities, I
                          guess I should be supposed to hate them.

--
                          Ilya Razmanov
                          • 11. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                            Level 7
                            On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:35:48 +0300, djinn <scobies@dsl.pipexYerKitAff.com>
                            wrote:

> It does seem to work quite well in DW8 :-)

Thanks, unfortunately, the first thing I retested was "GrowCut" that
                            didn'twork. Fortunately, "GML Matting" did work, so, after all, it seems
                            like I didn't quite f*cked up recommending their plugins :-)

--
                            Ilya Razmanov
                            • 12. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                              Level 7
                              PJR wrote:
                              > .... and FW's 8 :-)
                              >

It works in that too? ;-)

--
                              chin chin
                              Sinclair
                              • 13. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                                Level 7
                                Ilya,

Where do you install plug-ins like this so that they work in FW? This is new
                                to me but I want to play around with it -- looks like fun!

Many thanks!

--
                                Kelley Rao, Webeze
                                ------------------------------------
                                Website Planning Guide for Developers
                                http://www.web-eze.com/dwpg.html
                                ------------------------------------

"Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
                                news:op.tk70f7c06e3g07@toadie...
                                > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:24:27 +0300, scan reg
                                > <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hi All
                                >>
                                >> How do you erase backgrounds from images, especially images with complex
                                >> backgrounds?
                                >>
                                >> Is there a good plugin?
                                >
                                > I must admit I yet have to try this one myself under FW, but since it's
                                > free, you can do the tests for free yourself:
                                >
                                > http://research.graphicon.ru/computer-vision/image-processing/gml-matting.html
                                >
                                > --
                                > Ilya Razmanov
                                > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

• 14. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                                  Level 7
                                  Kelley Rao wrote:
                                  > Ilya,
                                  >
                                  > Where do you install plug-ins like this so that they work in FW? This is new
                                  > to me but I want to play around with it -- looks like fun!
                                  >
                                  > Many thanks!
                                  >
                                  Kelly,

Not Ilya but, on a windows pc with FW 8, point the install to here....

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Plug-Ins

Then look for GML under Filters in the toolbar.

SKB
                                  • 15. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                                    Level 7
                                    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 02:56:31 +0300, Kelley Rao <krao@lightsoffweb-eze.com>
                                    wrote:

> Ilya,
                                    >
                                    > Where do you install plug-ins like this so that they work in FW? This is
                                    > new
                                    > to me but I want to play around with it -- looks like fun!
                                    >
                                    > Many thanks!
                                    >

As explained by SKB already, you may install them into "Plug-Ins" folder
                                    located in FW installation folder. However, I personally would not
                                    recommend doing so. I never install plugins within host software folders -
                                    after all, at some point I may choose to remove the host completely. So, I
                                    created separate folder (let's say "C:\Plugins") and install plugins into
                                    subfolders there, separate subfolders for different products. Then you may
                                    go to FW Edit -> Preferences -> Folders, check "Photoshop plugins" and use
                                    "Browse" button to point FW into "C:\Plugins". Next time FW is started, it
                                    will scan "C:\Plugins" folder and its subfolders for plugins, and
                                    everything will be fine.

I, however, am using even more tricky method. I'm plugin developer myself,
                                    so I often mess with some development versions of my own plugins, placed
                                    into different folders and even different drives, and I want full control
                                    over it. So, I'm not modifying FW preferences. Instead, in "Plug-Ins"
                                    folder under FW, I create shortcuts to "C:\Plugins" and other locations I
                                    have plugins installed. It's easy to do by dragging "C:\Plugins" into FW
                                    "Plug-Ins" with Alt key pressed. Then the next time FW is started, it
                                    looks into "Plug-Ins" folder, finds the shortcuts to other folders in
                                    there, then goes to that other folders and scan them (including
                                    subfolders) for plugins. I may easily delete the shortcut so FW doesn't
                                    use some particular plugin anymore, yet the plugin remains on my HD. I may
                                    add the shortcut back and viola - plugin is working under FW again (after
                                    restarting FW, of course). I highly recommend this method - it gives full
                                    control on that what plugins are used by this or that program at any
                                    particular time.

--
                                    Ilya Razmanov
                                    • 16. Re: Erasing Backgrounds - Best Way ?
                                      herbinp91287454

Thank you guys for all the tips. Great help for me because I am working with photos frequently.

Herbin

http://www.happyhomesph.com