3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 2:45 PM by Szalam

Freeze Frame questions

jeffw991801

I started out with a clip of someone running, I split the clip, deleted a portion, and nudged the 2 clips back together. I then duplicated the bottom layer and right click > time > freeze frame

1. How do you hide the freeze frame in the layers? I try hiding the duplicate layer and that doesn't do it. I went ahead and hid all of my layers and the freeze frame is still there.

2. The default duration for the freeze frame was 0:00:05:14 I double-clicked on the little square on the Time Remap layer and changed it to 0:00:00:30 just as a test, and when I go back to check it again it is now showing 0:00:01:06 and it is displaying a completely different freeze frame in the Composition window???

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• 1. Re: Freeze Frame questions
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't quite understand the issue you're facing, but it sounds like you might just need to clear your cache.

• 2. Re: Freeze Frame questions
            jeffw991801 Level 1

Yes, clearing the caches cleared up some of the bizarre issues I was having. I guess I should get into the habit of doing that every time I close and reopen AE?

1. Now just for clarification, I duplicated a layer and made a freeze frame where the playhead was and the entire layer became the freeze frame, it is no longer video. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

2. I want to use the pen tool to rotoscope the freeze frame. Does it matter where the Current Time indicator is on the freeze frame when I begin using the Pen tool? It seems that I am doing the rotoscope to the entire freeze frame?

• 3. Re: Freeze Frame questions
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jeff Wright wrote:

Now just for clarification, I duplicated a layer and made a freeze frame where the playhead was and the entire layer became the freeze frame, it is no longer video. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Yes. That is precisely what you asked it to do.

If you want the video to play up until that point and THEN it freezes, you have options.

Option 1: Apply Time Remapping to your video layer. Set a new keyframe for time remapping at the point you want it to freeze. Delete all future keyframes.

Option 2: Split your video layer (Ctrl+Shift+D on Windows, Cmd+Shift+D on Mac) at the point you want the freeze frame and apply freeze frame as you did to the new layer.

There are a few other ways, but these two are the simplest.

Jeff Wright wrote:

I want to use the pen tool to rotoscope the freeze frame. Does it matter where the Current Time indicator is on the freeze frame when I begin using the Pen tool? It seems that I am doing the rotoscope to the entire freeze frame?

It does not matter where the CTI is when you use the pen tool. A mask will apply to the entire layer. If you want a mask to animate, you can keyframe the mask path property.