14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 3:32 PM by A.T. Romano

My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)

photokaty Level 1

I have saved a video I made, which includes photos/video on Video 1, some text on Video 2, audio on Audio 1, narration, and songs on Soundtrack. I have saved this file in many different formats, but I most often use "MPEG HD 720p 30". After uploading to youtube, the video and audio play just fine on computers (PC's, not on my Macbook), but on mobile devices (samsungs, iphones, and my ipad) only the soundtrack plays. When the narration and audio 1 tracks should be playing, I sometimes hear a bit of crackling, but nothing else. Here is the link to the youtube video: Gassman Automotive Products, Ltd. Informational Video - YouTube. I made this video using Premiere Elements 11 (actually about a year and a half ago), but just realized this issue on mobiles. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or using the wrong save format, but I don't know what else to do! Any/all help is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Katy

• 1. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

photokaty

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

MPEG HD720p30 appears to offer

Dolby Digital or MPEG audio formats

and

with MPEG, Audio Layer-1, Layer ll Audio

Do the specifications of your Mobile devices support that type of audio?

Have you used the Mobile Phones and Players export choices in the exporting area of the program?

ATR

• 2. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
            photokaty Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7.

I have tried on multiple mobile devices including several samsung's, iphones, and an ipad, and none of them work, so I would assume they must not support that audio.

I have not tried using the Mobile Phones and Players, because I was unsure if this would work on all devices if I upload to YouTube. Should I try one of those formats? And if so, there are so many options, I don't know which one to choose!

Thank you!

• 3. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

photokaty

Please let us see if me make an impact on the situation using the following export choices in your Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit

For 1920 x 1080p

Publish+Share

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod, iPad, and iPhone

with Presets = Apple TV, iPad, iPhone 4 - 1080p 29.97

use the default settings for now.

For 1280 x 720p

Publish+Ahre

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone 4 - 720p 29.97

use the default settings for now

If this shows promise, and, if necessary, we can customize the selected preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab,...

For now, I am bypassing a problem that Premiere Elements has with cell phone, iPad, and other devices that record with a variable frame rate instead of constant frame rate. Here I will need to know if your Timeline content for export is made up of cell phone and iPad video or whether there is no Timeline cell phone and iPad video and you want that Timeline content in a format for the mobile devices.

ATR

• 4. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                photokaty Level 1

I will try those two settings next. Will they still be playable and acceptable on desktops? I want to upload to YouTube for use on all devices.

All of my Timeline content was filmed using a JVC GC PX100 Video Camera (including the narration tracks where I recorded my voice, and then separated the video/audio and inserted the audio into the narration track. I will report back after I have published in the two formats mentioned above.

• 5. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                  photokaty Level 1

I have tried exporting the video with both settings you suggested, and uploaded the Apple TV, iPad, iPhone 4 - 1080p 29.97 to youtube at this link: Informational Video New Musin Apple Tv 1080p 29 97 - YouTube. It appears that the video has good quality and plays well on my pc again, but still no narration or video 1 audio when viewed on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. When viewed on my iPad Air, all audio is there. Now, is there anyway to get this play on all mobile devices (at full screen size)?

• 6. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

photokaty

The Mobile Phone and Players export H.264.mp4 should be playable on computer players such as Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, VLC Player.

And, the format should be a good file choice for upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

For any export category choice, If the JVC camera is specifically giving you mod widescreen, then we need to talk about that and the classical Premiere Elements 4:3 representation for the 16:9 file.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

photokaty

I did not see your post 5 until now. I think that we posted about the same time for posts 5 and 6. So my post 6 was not responsive to your post 5 results.

When I watched your YouTube video, all I could hear was the background music, presumed the Soundtrack music. No indication of narration or Audio 1 sound.

From what you wrote, the no narration or Audio 1 seems applicable to playback on all your devices, not just the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, including upload to YouTube.

Be advised that I am watching that YouTube video from Windows 7 64 bit.

Let us go back to see what is missing here.

1. What are the properties of what you put on the Timeline? If you have the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video, that should give us the source properties information. Is your source the video from the Samsung Galaxy Note 4? If so, from what I have read, you could be import 2160p30 or 1080p?

2. Before you went to Publish+Share/ and one of the choices, were you able to hear the project sound in the Edit area monitor previewing?

Did you apply the Smart Mix to the soundtrack, narration, audio 1? Were you using opened Audio Meter to verify the sound. See Window Menu/Audio Meters? Do you make any adjustments to the Timeline audio - with Audio Mixer, volume adjusts, other?

This is what I would like you to do...with the Audio Meter opened in the Edit area phase....

1. Start a new project, import your source video audio file to the Timeline. Export that with the Mobile Phones and Players settings that we discussed.

Do you hear the sound at playback of the export of that Timeline?

2. Open this project again, this time add Soundtrack to the Timeline to accompany the Audio 1 audio. Export that with the Mobile Phones and Player settings that we discussed. Do you hear the sound at playback of the export of that Timeline?

3. Open this project again, this time add your narration to the already present Soundtrack and Audio 1 sound. Do as above. Is the sound as intended?

That us see what we can put together from the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                        photokaty Level 1

Romano,

I am so sorry to revive this thread. Our shop closes every year for 2 weeks, and when I was on break I was not on my work computer, thus not allowing me to access this project. Low and behold, I forgot to finish this when I returned from work.

Nonetheless, I am going to try to continue pursuing this issue, and perhaps you will still be willing to help me. Here are answers to your questions:

1. All video was recorded with a JVC GC-PX100 video camera. I also used the same camera with a mic attached to record my narration tracks (which I separated the video and audio tracks to just use the audio track for narration.) As far as camera settings, not sure what setting info you need. I pretty much turn the camera to video and hit 'record'.

2. Before I went to Publish+Share, yes I was able to hear all of the audio, including the narration. I did not use the Smart Mix before exporting. I am a fairly inexperienced Premier user and am not even sure what that does completely; nor did I use the audio meter. The only adjustments I made to the audio tracks were using the volume bar on the actual audio tracks in the timeline.

I am now doing your suggestions:

1. After export on the first step there is no audio at all, so I am not going to continue with the next step unless you tell me I should continue.

Thanks again, I will await your response.

Katy

• 9. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Katy

Thanks for the follow up.

At this time, is the situation such that the audio issue exists only for the video audio file played back on your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 cell phone?

Or, do you get this specific problem anywhere else, like when you view/listen to this specific Premiere Elements Timeline content which has been uploaded to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature? Please specify all places that the problem exists.

To pin point the "before export" aspects of this situation, this is what I would like you to do, assuming that all sounds are playing back in the Edit area as wanted...

With a copy of the original project (See File Menu/Save A Copy), do the following....

a. Open the project and place a few scene markers in the content. Then go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu and apply one of the Movie Themes to the project. When you get into the Movie Menu customization area from the Movie Menu display area where you made your theme selection, do not customize the menu. Just go to Preview and click on that. In the main menu that appears, click on Scene Selection. In the Scene Selection page(s), click on a scene to play it back. Do you hear all the sounds that you seek?

Please review the plan. If any problems or need clarification of this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                            photokaty Level 1

ATR,

It appears these are the circumstances of the videos on Youtube: on my pc (windows 7 64-bit) and my apple devices (ipad air 2 and iphone 5), all audio tracks can be heard just fine. Most of us here at my work have Samsungs, so on my note 4, a note 3, and an s5, the narration and audio track linked to video 1 cannot be heard when watching the same link on YouTube. I also tried on an HTC and the same problem exists (perhaps is just an android issue?). Yesterday, I saved the video through Publish+Share and used Premier's built in Youtube uploader to which the same results have existed. You can view that version here: Test Upload - YouTube.

I have now saved a copy of the file, and added the Movie Menu as you described. When I go to "preview disc" and click on "scene selection" and then click on a scene, I hear all of the audio tracks as I expect I should.

Any other suggestions?

Katy

• 11. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Katy

Onward....

When you import your JVC source video file into Premiere Elements, where is the narration - is it embedded in the video file that you are importing into Premiere Elements or do you import a video file which comes with an audio component and then import narration file separately into the project?

There is an idea coming from the above....

ATR

• 12. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                                photokaty Level 1

ATR,

I am not entirely sure how to answer that question so let me explain how I added the narration track. (Here is a photo of my timeline to help if at all possible)

- I used my JVC camera with a mic attached to record my voice. I then imported that video clip into my project assets. When importing, it had a video and audio connected (like you can see on video 1). I then right clicked and "unlinked audio and video" and deleted the video portion so all that was leftover was an audio track. It now resides on the "narration" line below. I hope that makes sense.

premieretimeline.png

Katy

• 13. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                                  photokaty Level 1

I feel I need to add that on the android devices, it is not just the "narration" track that is not playing, it is also the audio on the "audio1" not playing either. When viewed on an android device, all I hear is the "Soundtrack" track.

Katy

• 14. Re: My 'narration' and 'audio1' audio tracks will not play on mobile (via Youtube)
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Katy,

Interesting.

1.  I have been OK with that detail

When viewed on an android device, all I hear is the "Soundtrack" track.

Please confirm, you also "all you hear is the Soundtrack content" if you upload that Timeline shown in the screenshot to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature.

Also, focusing on the Video 1 video and Audio 1 audio in the screenshot, is that footage from the camera that is still linked and never unlinked?

2. This is what I would like you to do first for troubleshooting purposes, if you have not done this before.

Set up a new 1080p30 project

a. Video 1 and Audio 1....just JVC footage straight from the camera...one file with a video and an audio component and that presents on the Timeline linked.

b. Soundtrack...as before

c. Narration...create your narration clip as pcm.wav file with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool or using Audacity or the Windows Sound Recorder.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Record audio with Sound Recorder

d. Determine if you have all the wanted sounds before going to export.

e. Export with Publish+Share/Mobile Phones and Players as before.

While you are doing that, I will do some exploring of the considerations as well. The fact that the problem does not manifest itself until the export is realized, and I am hoping that the above plan will reveal what is going on nonetheless.

I am wondering if your way of generating s narration clip and placing it in the Narration Track is at the core of this matter. Alternately, what happens if you move the narration to an upper number audio track instead of placing it in the Narration Track. Lots of unexplained interaction happenings narration - soundtrack - numbered audio tracks.

To be continued...

ATR