11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 9:49 PM by r2-no-d2

Why red is not red?

r2-no-d2 Level 1

When working in this mode:

J4aE4AA.jpg

сolors strongly change. For example, the red color does not look right.

slUDTyA.jpg

Which setting affects the distortion? I can not find

• 1. Re: Why red is not red?
          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi,

You have set the working space in Color settings. Please set it to none and then check the results.

//Vinay

• 2. Re: Why red is not red?
            r2-no-d2 Level 1

need for Linear Working Space ON

• 3. Re: Why red is not red?

Hi,

So, for Linear working space you need this sRGB profile.

This is a standard International profile which has a gamut attached to it. Means the specific value of colors that you can see in a clip.

You might see it different on different monitor or display device as each device has a color profile attached to it.

So, you might notice some color change (Minor) if you have different color profiles/space.

sRGB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

//Vinay

• 4. Re: Why red is not red?
                r2-no-d2 Level 1

This is a theory, but not the solution. I need true color and LWS-ON.

How can I see the normal color with gamma 2.2, but without "colors profile" distortion?

Example (on the right side distorted color):

6VTy61d.jpg

• 5. Re: Why red is not red?

Hi,

The gamma correction that most color profiles have makes the profile "correct" for human eye i.e. the color appears as they are. When you remove that gamma correction by going to a linear profile then the value of color enhances.

Whenever you import footage into a color managed After Effects workflow, you'll have the option of converting that footage from a color profile to the current working profile. Depending on what you choose at this stage, this will result in a change to the perceived colors of the footage, or a change to the actual stored values of the colors (which will result in minimal perceived shift of colors).

You can add or remove Gamma correction from Effect Menu in After Effects>Utilities> Color Profile Converter.

//Vinay

• 6. Re: Why red is not red?
                    r2-no-d2 Level 1

You can add or remove Gamma correction

I do not need to add or remove gamma. Gamma is working properly. I want to remove the color distortion!

when the red becomes not red but orange

• 7. Re: Why red is not red?

Hi,

1. Please mention all the Project settings and comp settings that you have chosen, the Operating System and the the exact version of AFter Effects that you have.

2. Please mention the Export settings that you choose while rendering the comp or the change can be seen in the Comp viewer only.

3. Have you check "Use Display Color Management" option?

Color profile.PNG

//Vinay

• 8. Re: Why red is not red?
                        r2-no-d2 Level 1

1 Project settings in 1st post, OS windows 7 64, AE - all version (i think), old story. current 2014/2015

2 I did not do export, because I can not even open files with the correct colors. Other work does not make sense.

3 Of course yes, without all it's different (dark gamma 1.0)

It should look like this.

jjujABI.jpg

But AE shows this bad.

itrrwCF.jpg

I need 32 + LWS for correct Multi pass composition. But the bonus I get the wrong color. You can see for yourself if you want.

test.zip - Box

• 9. Re: Why red is not red?

Hi,

Please go through this document.

After Effects Help | Color management

Also, if the Display color management and color profile is chosen After Effects will show you the color that you will see when you play the Video or the comp on a device using same color management. This will never preserve the RGB pixel value but will preserve RGB appearance and that too on a display device which has the same color management as your monitor.

So, for exact color in a Profile that you want to embed, do not use color management.as it will make changes in pixel value and you will notice it in your display device. I can understand you need Gamma 2.2 and not 1.0 as in the color profiles so it is necessary to choose.

Check the document for more info.

//Vinay

• 10. Re: Why red is not red?
                            r2-no-d2 Level 1

I have already read it all. there is no answer to my simple question.

What about the fact that the same project differently looks on different computers?
                            Where is the magic and that I should turn off that would see the normal color under the same conditions ?????
                            as in the picture to the left!
                            5SINS9H.jpg

• 11. Re: Why red is not red?
                              r2-no-d2 Level 1

I solved the problem!

670px-Change-Color-Management-Settings-in-Windows-8-Step-5-Version-2.jpg

It is necessary to delete the profile for the monitor in the operating system Windows.

After that color in AE multi pass composition exactly as in Cinema4d buffer!