7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 11:57 AM by adobenewbie123

Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I am exporting my project in one of  two ways.  For online, I utilize the Vimeo HD settings and for burnig to a disk,  Blu-Ray 1920x1080 NTSC.  The difference in video quality between 1080p and 720p is negligible.  I can't even tell the difference.  But I am hearing a difference. The sound seems stronger on the Vimeo HD preset than from the Blu-ray .  I am using the default settings on both but I do not even see a way to view the audio settings from the "Burn a Blu-Ray" section.  I can see the audio  specs for Vimeo HD. So here is my question. Does it make sense for the Vimeo HD file to sound better and if so, is there any way to change the settings on the Blu-ray burn so the Blu-ray  sounds just as good as the mp4?

Thanks for your time !

• 1. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

The burn to disc Blu-ray preset is not user adjustable. You can select from a few different presets, but that is it.

In Premiere Elements 10 burn to disc Blu-ray, you get 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and the audio is Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel.

Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = Vimeo HD offers you the following default Advanced Settings. You have probably seen them.

VimeoHD.JPG

If you want to guess-estimate what Adobe is giving you in the way of settings for the burn to disc Blu-ray, do a burn to disc Blu-ray, and then do a MediaInfo readout for the audio for the 00000.m2ts in the STREAM Folder of the BDMV Folder on the disc. What you get would be expected to look like the following in most of the audio settings of interest

Bluraysettingscccc.JPG

Please consider.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Sorry for the delay iin responding as I have been out of town.  

In order to improve audio output,  would you recommend exporting as a 1920 x1080  file in the AVCHD area and then burning that file to disk in a different software program?  Also curious if a newer version of Premiere Elements would allow more control over the audio setting?

• 3. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

The burn to disc for even the current version does not allow for user customization of its presets.. Your only say in the matter is picking one of the Adobe presets.

If you had Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you would get a preset that you would not get in 10

Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby

(1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second)

13pbr.JPG

13/13.1 also offers the one you have now in 10

Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

(1920 x 1080 @ 29.976 interlaced frames per second

13ibr.JPG

In 10

Presets - H.264 1920 x 1080iNTSC Dolby

(1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second)

identical to its counterpart in 13

10ibr.JPG

Dolby Digital Stereo 2 channel is used in all chases of 1080i. But, of note -

the 1080p preset in 13/13.1 is named H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby.

BUT, when you look at the MediaInfo audio readout, the audio is PCM and not shown as Dolby Digital.

Note the difference in the bitrate 1536 kbps vs 192 kbps.

More on this later. Something to think about.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
                A.T. Romano Level 7

adobebenewbie123

Add On....If the Blu-ray 1080p preset in burn to Blu-ray disc is really using audio PCM Stereo that seems to be preferred over Dolby Digital Stereo.

PCM = Pulse Code Modulation and is supposed to represent no data compression where as Dolby Digital represents data compression. From what I have read, PCM takes up more space on the disc than Dolby Digital Stereo. Nevertheless, PCM seems to be the preferred one for quality.

Is it worthwhile for you to look at a tryout of Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to check out the burn to Blu-ray disc 1080p preset?

I am still trying to figure out why MediaInfo would give the audio as PCM Stereo and yet Adobe is calling its Blu-ray 1080p preset "H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby"...why the Dolby in this case?

Are menus a requirement for your export? And, do you have any frame rate requirement....this 1080p frame rate is 23.976 progressive frames per second, not 29.97 interlaced frames per second?

ATR

• 5. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for all of the good info!  Normally I'd be willing to try exporting out of 10 and into a trial version of 13.1 to look for audio improvements but I would end up taking a hit on the video quality .  Our project is 29.97 progressive frames per second and I am fairly confident  the change to 23.97 will make the movements too choppy.

Does Premiere Pro offer up any possibilities?

• 6. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Not sure what Premiere Pro is offering for audio in the burn to end products. But, you might want to look for uncompressed audio for the burn to. My recollection is that the burn to for Premiere Pro is done in the Encore program. Then, from your perspective, you are looking for uncompressed audio at a specific 29.97 progressive frames per seconds specification. Uncompressed audio takes up more space on the disc, and that is a major con versus its pro for audio quality.

Even in Premiere Elements 13, apparently you cannot be sure what is under the burn to preset until you actually text run the preset.

Since we wrote last, I have written a blog post on the subject of PCM Stereo and those Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray presets

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: PCM Stereo & Blu-ray Burn To Disc Presets

ATR

• 7. Re: Audio Settings on export from Premiere Elements 10
                      adobenewbie123 Level 1

Yes, I would very much like to burn under PCM to get the highest possible quality.  Is taking up more space still a con if the blu-ray can store all the data?  If the con is that it would only take longer to burn, I can live with that. Is Encore a separate program or some sort of addon to Premiere?  Can I burn uncompressed audio at a frame rate of 29.97 on Encore?  In the meantime, I am going to check out your blog post referenced above.

Thanks!