6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 8:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players

Qmc1134

When I make a dvd using non blu ray burner and not selecting blu ray in burn options some dvd players play a certain amount of the video and others not at all, But it plays fine using my ps3 which is a blu ray player! why is it not working in other reg dvd player?

• 1. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Qmc1134

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

My first impression...

I imagine that the issue goes to the specifications of the player for disc, format, and format on disc.

The Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO gives two folders OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. If you burn to disc from Premiere Elements, then the VIDEO_TS is taken to disc there in the disc file system. If you burn to folder in Premiere Elements, the VIDEO_TS Folder is a folder in search of a program to take it to DVD disc in the disc file system. It is the same VIDEO_TS Folder in each case.

Neither of those choices comes with an AUDIO_TS Folder. Most of the time it is not needed. But, there is the possibility that a particular player needs that AUDIO_TS Folder included on the disc with the VIDEO_TS Folder for player disc compatibility reasons.

The answer to your generalized question

why is it not working in other reg dvd player

could go from player settings to player specifications to many other factors that you have not yet mentioned.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
            Qmc1134 Level 1

I have the premier elements 12

• 3. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
              Qmc1134 Level 1

Also it is on windows 8    4.2 processor 16 gb ram at 2133 overclocked 2 tb hd 2 dvd burners and a blu ray burner and a xfx graphics so all that is plenty for program, does great on blu ray players but some friends do not have anything but reg dvd players

• 4. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Qmc1134

Thanks for the reply.

Let me back up. I may have taken too much for granted when you wrote about your DVD burn experiences and regular DVD players.

Are you doing burn to disc DVD to get DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or are you doing burn to disc DVD to get AVCHD format on DVD disc?

That will make the world of difference in my interpretation of your question.

There is no way that I have ever heard of to get AVCHD on DVD disc to play back on a regular DVD player. You can produce a AVCHD on DVD disc with a regular DVD burner (do not need Blu-ray burner), but you cannot play back AVCHD DVD on a regular DVD player. You need a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

So, you are looking at

DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc 720 x 480 16:9, display about 872 x 480 (NTSC) and about 1050 x 576 (PAL)

versus

AVCHD on DVD disc 1920 x 1080 16:9

Please review, consider, and supply more details to make sure that we are in sync on the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
                  Qmc1134 Level 1

Well I take my video from go pro, Contour + some from hd cameras all to comp run it threw elem 12 and I select the DVD option after creating movie! Now from what I understand from your message it looks like it would be better quality going to AVCHD instead of selecting dvd? I do think I found the problem one of my dvd burners is not burning correctly, Also I think one prob simmilar to what you said about missing file. So I del 2 of the missing files that not using from assets, So running my other burner after del the 2 files seems to work fine! But could you still let me know if I am able to take video file from recording devices to burn in AVCHD onto DVD+R or will there be conflict with players?

P.S. I do thank you for your help it is very appreciated.  I am good at building comps and editing but when there is issues with programs of any sort It kicks my A**'

• 6. Re: Problems playing dvd on devices that are not blu ray players
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Qmc1134

Thanks for the reply.

You definitely are going to get a higher resolution product with the AVCHD on DVD, but finding a player for it is a consider.

Are your viewers likely to have a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of the multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD? Do they have computers players that support AVCHD DVD playback? If they do, consider.

If not, then it is DVD Video Widescreen on DVD disc for playback on the regular DVD player and computer player that supports DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD  disc playback.

Going with the best possible DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD should provide acceptable results. Been there and done that. But, make the comparison yourself, do mini test run for each approach. And, go with what works for you. Are your viewers going to be friends and family? What is the size of the TV screen for viewing?

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

ATR