1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 9:44 AM by Brad Lawryk

Adobe Stock Licensing - Modifications

mjwhite

First apologies for another question about use of Standard license images - I know there have been a few but I can't find the specific answer I need in the previous posts or in the Adobe Stock Additional Terms.

I'm struggling to understand the relationship between clauses 2.2 and 3.4, they don't seem to fully tally.

My use-case is imagery for use in the creation of independent creator owned comic books. Primarily the use of stock images as backgrounds. For example a scene might involve two characters interacting outside of the White House. Instead of drawing the White House I would propose to take a stock image, then use Photoshop to modify this (for example Gaussian blur, then posterise) to produce a derived image with a look and feel in line with the comic book foreground drawn art work. Occasionally in a panel the stock image could be the only item in the panel but this would be rare and in which case again the image would be heavily modified to have a comic book look.

From my reading of 3.4 (a) section i  this would be acceptable as the resultant image is significantly modified and I would not be looking to distribute the original media. Obviously sub clause (c) dictates that I can't reproduce any image more than 500,000 times but this is not an issue I would ever encounter. However, clause 2.2 sub section (b) seems to forbid this without an extended license (which doesn't exist).

Apologies again for a question very similar to many others out there, but I do think the current T&Cs are not that helpful. I also note that the information on the Adobe Stock website says:

'Adobe Stock is a new service that provides designers and businesses with access to 40 million high-quality, curated, royalty-free images, illustrations, and vector graphics for all their creative projects.'

Which seems to not be accurate as there are no extended licenses so the use of the words 'all their creative projects' seems a bit misleading. I fully understand that you would need an extended license to resell the stock image or add it to a content database to distribute it in the original form for re-use. And I accept that there would be limitations that show endorsement by the copyright owner of activities in clause 3.1 subsection (g), but currently what falls into clause 2.2 rather than 2.1 seems very restrictive for creative projects. perhaps I am misreading but I've been over this a few times and I'm struggling.

Can anyone advise on whether my use-case is permissible under Standard Licensing?

Martin