17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 4:37 AM by do85030177

Text box errors

do85030177

Everytime I open a document which has been sent to me from various colleagues. I need to expand every single text bow in the document to view. Hopefully it may just be a setting adjustment. It is very time consuming and annoying !! Please help

Many thanks DarrenText box error.png

• 1. Re: Text box errors
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, Darren!

Maybe you are not using the exact same font files?
          Example: Different Helevticas, same names, some OTF, some TT would react differently needing less or more amount of space vertically.

I think, we need to know more about the used fonts or versions of InDesign or OSs into play.

Uwe

• 2. Re: Text box errors
            do85030177 Level 1

Thank you for your response Uwe,

This occurs when i open any document sent,  i do have a font issue where i seem to have lost all of my fonts. Has indesign got an helpline?

Regards

Darren

• 3. Re: Text box errors
              jmvrankin Adobe Community Professional

Try having your college send you a packaged document, with a document fonts folder. Typekit fonts can't be packaged, but normally installed fonts can. When you open the packaged document it will use the fonts in the Document fonts folder. This might help you track down which specific fonts are causing the overset problem.

• 4. Re: Text box errors
                do85030177 Level 1

I seem to have lost my drop down text box selection, how can i restore it?

• 5. Re: Text box errors
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not sure what you mean. can you show us a screen shot?

• 6. Re: Text box errors
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I don't understand, why your colleagues are using so many text frames. As it is shown, one singe text frame would be enough. It is one of the primary problems in your file.

Others might be the use of different fonts, not using Paragraph Styles, etc.

What do you see, if yo go into text mode? cmd/ctrl+Y

Can you post an example and link it here?

• 7. Re: Text box errors
                      do85030177 Level 1

Thanks for the response to date but still not clear. Please forgive my ignorance but indesign has been put on me and im trying my damdest to utilize its fantastic potential. I think i have TWO problems. One is the disappearing font selection box at the top LH corner (See screen shot) and The text froame error when opening any document sent to me from colleagues (see screen shot)Text frame error.GIFLost Font box.GIF

• 8. Re: Text box errors
                        1. Please link an example INDD file. As I wrote: WHY ARE SO MANY FRAMES HERE?
                        2. Menus in the control bar are context sensitive. Fonts are only shown, when a text tool is selected.

Do you work with paragraph styles?

• 9. Re: Text box errors
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The menu bar that is showing is more or less context driven.

If you select things like graphic frames or text frames, not text itself, you will see the controls shown in your screenshots. If you will select text, the text controls are showing.

However you could switch to all text controls, if you are changing your active tool in the tool box to "T", the tool for editing text. Keyboard shortcut (KBSC) is t. Even, if you selected not text, but eg. a text frame. Changing back to the Selection Tool, the "black" arrow, for graphic frames and text frames is the KBSC v. Then the controls you are currently seeing will show up again.

These are very basic things in handling InDesign.

I would recommend doing a basic course using InDesign.

Uwe

• 10. Re: Text box errors
                            do85030177 Level 1

Thanks Uwe i have now reinstated the text box by clicking 'T' however i only have Robot as an option. No other fonts exist in the drop down box. Not a problem i can live with that! Thanks.

Will look up where i can undertake some training in the UK.

Still not joy on the text frame eroors yet tho??

• 11. Re: Text box errors
                              do85030177 Level 1

Hi willi,

How can i link the indd file to you? Shall i email it?

Text drop down sorted now but only limited to roboto?

Many thanks

• 12. Re: Text box errors

Put it somewhere in the drop box or in the creative cloud and put a link here.

• 14. Re: Text box errors

Those who have set up this document are idiots. I have never seen such a dilettante work. They have to go to a class, not InDesign, first a class how to turn on a computer, second how to use a keyboard, after attending such a class, you can send them to a basic InDesign training.

I this document is everything wrong which could possible be wrong. Or worse. If 2 errors are possible in my imagination, they did 4.

I suspect that they had the correct font installed when they did the setup in the document.

They have started the document in a version older than CS4, I suppose CS2, saved as INX, opened that INX in an InDesign CC 2014 (a version without any bugfix!!!!!!!). This itself is causing problems and changes. The Gap between CS2 and CC 2014 is huge.

The document has some Paragraph Styles, none of them is used. Everything is styled manually, even several different manual formats in one single paragraph. This is a no go and a source of problems.

Many Frames are used, more than the screen shoot would tell us. It could be handled in one single frame on each page.

No layers are used. Terrible practice.

Those who have set up the masters, did not know how to work with masters. Terrible. Useless document.

This document is a CMYK document, so I would consider it as a print document. But no bleed is found. This document would not be able to be printed without problems.

I would recommend to start from the scratch with that document. The problems in this document are found deep in the history, created from ancient versions and from dilettante people.

• 15. Re: Text box errors
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Thanks Uwe i have now reinstated the text box by clicking 'T' however i only have Robot as an option. No other fonts exist in the drop down box. Not a problem i can live with that!

Sounds like TypeKit filtering is turned on.

TypeKit Filter.png

To turn if off, first click the dropdown arrow next to the font name to pen the list, then click the indicated button at the top.

• 16. Re: Text box errors
                                      do85030177 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback Will.

I have just made some enquiries into Indesign training.

Cheers

• 17. Re: Text box errors
                                        do85030177 Level 1

Excellent sorted, thank you Peter!