5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 11:09 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Animation presets issue in CC2015

Peter J Kovacs Level 2

I have a bunch of expressions saved as animation presets. Normally I can drag these animation presets to a layer and ONLY the expression would be added and the layer's current value wouldn't be modified. This is great since I have a bunch of expressions that I use for transition-in and transition-out effects.

But now in After Effects CC2015, when I drag these animation presets to the layer... it applies the expression AND changes the layer's current value to match the one that was saved when the preset was created.

According to the After Effects Help Page, an animation preset is only supposed to save the expression as long as there's no keyframes.

So now, I can no longer use any of my animation presets because it will move my layer to a completely different position.

I have over 50 expressions that I use all the time and applying them via animation presets saved my TONNES of time because I didn't have to manually add them to individual layers anymore. I could simply select a bunch of layers and apply an animation preset to them all in a single click.

Any suggestions?

-Pete

• 1. Re: Animation presets issue in CC2015
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have more than 200 presets and have found most work as expected but when it comes to position and scale things get really weird. I haven't tested them all. CC 2015 seems to introduce a position property that is not in the original expression. I'm not sure where it comes from. For example:Dropbox - flyInBounceDropOut.ffx

Here's how you use the FFX.

Create a new or import footage. Scale and position the layer to it's final resting place. Set the in and out point for the layer. Apply the preset. The layer flys in from the right, bounces, then drops out of the bottom of the frame. This works perfectly in CS6 thru CS14 but in CC15 the layer always jumps to 199.3, 200.

I'm in the process of doing a detailed bug report on the problem.  invite others, including the grand master of expressions Dan Ebberts to take a look. something weird is definitely going on.

• 2. Re: Animation presets issue in CC2015
            Peter J Kovacs Level 2

I'm fairly sure the animation preset always stored the original position and scale properties of the layer that it was created from. Up until CC214 this stored information wouldn't be applied to a new layer... but in CC2015 it is being applied.

• 3. Re: Animation presets issue in CC2015
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Animation presets only stored the position information if there was a keyframe. Try playing with that animation preset that I posted. I still haven't figured out why it's going wrong.

Creating an animation preset using the same properties in 2015 actually breaks my scale calculations.

• 4. Re: Animation presets issue in CC2015
                Peter J Kovacs Level 2

That's what I thought... but I did a test where I created a text layer in a specific spot, added a simple position expression (ie. value+100), and then saved that to an animation preset.

I then created a new text layer in a different spot and applied that animation preset created from the first text layer. This new text layer snapped into the exact position of the first text layer.

Weird.

• 5. Re: Animation presets issue in CC2015
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update is available, which fixes this issue: http://adobe.ly/1Il5JYe