5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 10:01 AM by A.T. Romano

I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?

ackley17

I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?

• 1. Re: I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ackley17

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. I am after the properties of your source video. Mov is just a file extension for the file.

Are you setting the project preset yourself (manually) before file import and letting the project set the project preset automatically during file import? What is being set? See Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio readings (even if the fields look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

When you play back the source video in the Edit area, are you looking at the rendered or unrendered Timeline (is there no colored line above the content, orange line, or green line)? If not sure, press the Render button above the Timeline. Do you get a rendering box pop up or just playback of the video in the Edit area monitor?

In what way are you getting a poor playback - jerky, blurry, other?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?
            ackley17 Level 1

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is

it running?

Version 12 on Windows 10, on a laptop and a desktop.

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. I

am after the properties of your source video. Mov is just a file extension

for the file.

Canon 7D Mark II in HD video mode.

Are you setting the project preset yourself (manually) before file import

and letting the project set the project preset automatically during file

import? What is being set? See Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel

Aspect Ratio readings (even if the fields look grayed out) under Edit

Menu/Project Settings/General

Opening default new project, with no changes, then using default import

settings for clips.

When you play back the source video in the Edit area, are you looking at

the rendered or unrendered Timeline (is there no colored line above the

content, orange line, or green line)? If not sure, press the Render button

above the Timeline. Do you get a rendering box pop up or just playback of

the video in the Edit area monitor?

Orange line in the video and audio tracks; no line  in the edit play

window, and clicking Render only play the video.

Thanks for the very quick response. My goal here isn't so much to

troubleshoot as to learn what might be the best format for editing, or if

it's not critical as long as the imported format is supported. I've just

migrated from Premiere 6.5 editing only AVI files and am curious.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ackley17

Thanks for the reply.

I have no history on the performance of Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 10 which will not be released officially until the end of July 2015.

So, what I write is based on Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1. If you have not already, update 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. One of its major perks is that it gets rid of the known Text Styles issues that exists only in the 12's Expert workspace.

2. It is important that the project preset is set to match the properties of the source files. Right now you are letting the project do that for you based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the project's Timeline. Sometimes the program does it right, sometimes not. So, important, check the readings Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to make sure that you do not have the project's default 1080i instead of what you should have. You seemed to have skipped over that detail in your reply. If the project does not set the project preset correctly, then you start a new project and set the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project.

Example...if your source is 1920 x 1080p30, then the project preset would be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97

3. Canon 7D

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D

It appears that the camera will present you with H.264.mov with various resolutions and frame rates. For 1920 x 1080, there appears to be a choice of 30p or 24p. Make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are running the programs as administrator.

Evaluate "supported" formats in terms of video compression, audio compression, and file extension. Case in point, both AVCHD and AVI are supported formats.

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)  under video compression type and AVI as an wrapper/container format. But the combo of the two, AVCHD.avi, is not supported by Premiere Elements. Your H.264.mov should be supported by your Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

4. There is the factor of Windows 10 as the computer on which Premiere Elements (any version) is installed. Some say fine. I would prefer to see more information on that from users running Premiere Elements with the released Windows 10.

Please review and then let me know if I have addressed your immediate questions. If not, please let me know what you need to know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?
                ackley17 Level 1

Thanks again. I've looked over the  settings you discuss, and all appears

to match between the Canon file type and the Project preset. I'm going

through the tutorial and other help topics and am studying Rendering in

particular.

This is quite a new process; I've only edited captured DV files from my

Sony 8mm digital previously and there's a lot to learn. Thank you. You can

close this ticket if you wish.

ga

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: I've imported .mov files. They play poorly. Do I need to render them to a different format for editing?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ackley17

Thanks for the follow up.

This is not Adobe here. Rather user to user. So, no ticket to close. Please know that we are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance with your Premiere Elements workflows, and your questions and requests for clarification on these matters are always welcomed.

Best wishes and you move on with your exploration and experimentation with the program.

ATR