8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 12:35 AM by neil wilkes

Enhanced CD creation

Opera Rat
      Does anyone have any advice on creating an "Enhanced CD". A CD with both audio tracks that will playback on any CD player (so I presume that means it's not MP3s) and the option of playing it in a CD-Rom drive and watching pictures or something like a Director movie that is timed to music?

I don't know where to begin with this. I have seen Enhanced CDs. I just don't know how to link a director movie to CD audio files for the sound track. And if you put it in an audio CD player how will it know what files it cannot play (movie files)? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
        • 1. Re: Enhanced CD creation
          Level 7
          I have created enhanced CDs using Toast on a Mac, I don't think it's
          possible for a program on the Data side to play the Audio segment, I
          have created mp3 compressed copies of the audio tracks on the data size,
          taking up only about 1/10 the space the CD audio tracks take.
          • 2. Re: Enhanced CD creation
            Earthwarrior
            I am currently working on an enchanced CD project. The audio and dada portions will be totally seperate. When creating your director project for the data part, you'll have to import the song you want behind your picture show as a cast memeber and drag it to one of your sound channels.

Happy New Year
            Rad
            • 3. Re: Enhanced CD creation
              Bentmen
              Well, there USED to be a way to make Enhanced CDs, with the CD Extra from Penworks. Penworks, however, seems to have ceased to exist. The URL is up for sale.

I can tell you that it is NOT simply a matter of importing the audio files as regular cast members and linkinng to them. Red Book audio is burned to disk in a completely different manner than a regular data CD. The extra allowed one to reach over the partition and use red book audio tracks as assets. Without the xtra, there's really no way I aware of.

You should also know that Windows XP has effectively killed ECD as a viable platform. Thank you, Microsoft! Grr....

Bottom line: make two different CDs -- an audio-only version for CD Players and an interactive version that uses MP3s.

Sorry!

• 4. Re: Enhanced CD creation
                Opera Rat Level 1
                Well if Penworks no longer exists then they won't care if their extra is shared. If anyone has this extra PLEASE let me know. This sounds like exactly what I want. I don't think there is enough room on the CD to have director movies with embedded MP3s.
                • 5. Re: Enhanced CD creation
                  Bentmen Level 1
                  Hi --

Are you planning on distributing this commercially? Even if you aren't, the Xtra would put up an annoy screen and (if I remember correctly) have limited functionality running in a projector unless you had a serial number -- which was generated by Penworks and locked to the serial number of your version of Director (i.e., basically crack-proof). Since Penworks doesn't exist and there's no real way to contact them, there's no way to get a new serial number.

It's a shame -- they had good stuff and extensive documentation that seems to have gone completely bye-bye.

The last updates to the Xtra were in 2003. A lot has happened since then. Also, as I said, it basically won't work under XP, if that's a consideration... I'm sure you can forget about Vista.

I wish there were a better answer!

• 6. Re: Enhanced CD creation
                    neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not too difficult to create thse discs.

The hard part is getting the HTML section correct as you need to be sure you are cross-platform compatible.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

Firstly, you need to create the CD-DA session, making sure that the burner is set to append the session & not close/finalize the disc.

Secondly, you need to create the ROM datsa in XA format, giving you an Enhanced CD - Blue Book - disc.

I would personally not use DIrector - unless a Mac can now understand an EXE file, there is not much point.

What you need is an HTML file instead, and create the ROM content as a sort of portable website on the CD.

If you do it this way, session 1 will be the CD-DA data, and a CD player will see this with no trouble.

When the disc is loaded into a ROM drive, you will *not* see the usual .cda filesa at 1kb each, but instead just the ROM structure.

On a PC you can create an AutoRun file, but most folks turn this "feature" off.

BTW - the reason most AutoRun files don;t wqork on Vista is because Microsoft have changed the dsyntax from "Run" to "Action" instead.

So an autorun.inf file will need 2 commands - run=index.html for example (for XP/Earlier) and action=index.html for Vista.

• 7. Re: Enhanced CD creation
                      Mark A. Boyd Level 4

neil wilkes replied to a 2½ year old question:

Not too difficult to create thse discs.

The hard part is getting the HTML section correct as you need to be sure you are cross-platform compatible.

No need for HTML at all.

I would personally not use DIrector - unless a Mac can now understand an EXE file, there is not much point.

You ARE aware that you've posted in a Director forum, and that Director makes both Mac and Windows executables, right?

What you need is an HTML file instead, and create the ROM content as a sort of portable website on the CD.

Nope. No need for a Website at all (and that method would require a static set of HTML pages unless you want to go the extra miles to include a cross platform Web server and possibly a database server).

Due to the above, I didn't even look at the sections of your post about creating an Enhanced CD. Just saying that it is pretty easy these days, though it is still easier from the Mac side.

BTW - the reason most AutoRun files don;t wqork on Vista is because Microsoft have changed the dsyntax from "Run" to "Action" instead.

So an autorun.inf file will need 2 commands - run=index.html for example (for XP/Earlier) and action=index.html for Vista.

I don't recall ever using "Run" in autorun.inf - maybe I did once in a while. I can state that "open", and "shellexecute" have worked fine for me through the versions.

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin' :-)

• 8. Re: Enhanced CD creation
                        neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the pointers, Mark.

I was completely misinformed as to running a Director EXE file on a mac it seems (This side is not my department as I don't know Director at all well).

I appreciate being put straight on this one. Time to dig deeper into what can be done, I think.

As far as using HTML goes, I still find this the easiest way to go - it's like creating a portable website on the CD - with the added advantage that it can easily be set up to run seamlessly with an internet based site that can carry a heck of a lot more value added content compared to what can be done with Director (and I am not knocking Director here, just comparing what can be done between the 2 formats).

With an HTML based Blue Book disc, I can use F4V video - even on the CD - which I do not think I can use in Director (last time I looked) and I really cannot overstate the benefits of having content accessed from the HTML pages on the CD that actually point at a full-blown website.

Maybe this can also be done from Director these days - I do not know.

Creating the CD is simple though.

CD-DA first, and for replication I have found the best way is to burn the Audio portion as an appendable session and then add the ROM section as XA data. Masters to go to DDP image, with the CDDA section as 2352 Bytes/sector, and the XA ROM data as 2336 Bytes/sector.

GEAR Pro Mastering Edition can easily handle the creation of both sections of the disc once the ROM data has been prepared.