9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 9:33 AM by Spiketrain

lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive

cielo4 Level 1

Why is lightroom so slow? I have a fast computer, thunderbolt drive, and a generally speedy setup. My main HD is an SSD.

When I fire up lightroom, which Ive only been using a couple of weeks, I see the external hard drive show on the left. All the folders are greyed out and no numbers next to each folder to indicate the number of photos in each file.

It can take as long as 5 minutes before they light up bright and populate down with the number of photos per folder.

Why is this? I am having to start Lightroom and do other things or walk away and come back later. Is there any way to speed up the linking of the program to the hard drive?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
          Spiketrain Level 1

Is this the only place where this problem is being reported? - cielo4 above describes this problem thoroughly - I am using Lightroom Thunderbolt drive, SSD drive on 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 4 core Macbook Pro with 16GB memory.

The Lightroom App loads quickly but I have nearly 30,000 RAW files across three years of folders. I have Spare room on my SSD and my Thunderbolt drive.

Lightroom is fast enough to use once the folders are 'pointed' but if I switch catalogue or I just exit the app or remove the drive and reconnect, then I have to go through the whole process all over again and it takes ages.

There must be something I can do .... the user above posted this over year ago - so are there any answers or updates?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

How long do you need to wait for the external drive to become usable?

On my Windows boxes, the external drives might take up to 15 seconds to wake from some type of sleep mode, but that has nothing to do with Lightroom any more than it does for any other app. I just use File Explorer to bring the drive(s) out of sleep mode before using LR to access them.

• 3. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
              Spiketrain Level 1

Hi ManiacJoe - Thanks for picking this up.

I just made a movie of it here - Let me know if you think this is normal - or whether you suspect the drive.

It's a 2TB Thunderbolt (5400) which I have just reformatted Mac OS (Journaled) and rebuilt the whole DB just yesterday - without this being fixed!

• 4. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What typoe of drive is in that enclosure? It doesn't really matter what the connection speed is, USB3/3.1 or Thunderbolt, if the actual physical drive in the enclosure is a slow style (Like a standard rotation hard drive).

If you open Finder and try to access those same folders how long does that take?

How old is the that external drive?

How full it is, what percentage of space is free?

Try this as a test. Click the Import button and in the import dialog window how fast are those same folders accessed in the Source section?

• 5. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                  Spiketrain Level 1

Thanks Just Shoot Me

It's a Lacie with spin speed of 5400. It's two years old. Not half full as you see in attached screen shot.

I also attach a BlackMagic disk report.

I did the Import test as you suggested and the same folders populated very quickly. In Finder it's instantaneous.

Screenshot 2016-10-13 14.59.31.pngDiskSpeedTest.png

• 6. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Spiketrain wrote:

Hi ManiacJoe - Thanks for picking this up.

I just made a movie of it here - Let me know if you think this is normal - or whether you suspect the drive.

It's a 2TB Thunderbolt (5400) which I have just reformatted Mac OS (Journaled) and rebuilt the whole DB just yesterday - without this being fixed!

Viewed the video. That is not normal.

As a Windows user, I don't know how much help I will be, but my first thought is to check the OS settings for that drive to see if there is anything that can be tweaked.

• 7. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I see you have another external drive, a WD My Book. Have you tested with images on that drive?

There are some settings in OS X that limit drive power and sleep settings. Sorry I haven't used a Mac in several years and forget where they might be.

But if you do some test on the WD drive and it works OK then I'd have to say it is the physical drive or the enclosure.

• 8. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                        Spiketrain Level 1

Just Shoot Me - Thanks again,

It would be a totally logical thing to do but I happen to know that my 4TB drive is sick! - It's got bad sectors - which somewhat annoyingly makes it rather slow to do stuff... so not a good drive to test this theory.

I guess we're kinda all answering the question though by posing more questions about the system I'm using - IE rather than saying things like 'Yeah Lightroom does that' or 'Yeah, this is wrong, there's an easy fix for this'...... what people seem to suspect is the Thunderbolt drive itself rather than the app - which is a little worrying since this means I'm facing two sick drives at once..... to the tune of 6TB - and I was running out of space as it was!

I'll do some drive tests when I can, and if LR still behaves like this, then I'll come back to this thread.

Thanks for all your help again Just Shoot Me and ManiacJoe

• 9. Re: lightroom takes a long time to connect to an external hard drive
                          Spiketrain Level 1

For all who chance upon this thread in the future - here's how this ended:

I bought a new USB3 drive and copied everything over to it and - yay! - much faster..... faster than the Thunderbolt 2 drive - which shows that I must have bad sectors or something. The drive works and appears to be fine - but I'm thinking that this might not be fully true now...

Another thing I did though, whilst I was sorting all this, was to move the actual LR - lrcat catalog file

(along with the additional 'lrcat-lock' and 'lrcat-journal' (and also smart previews and previews lrdata) files over to my MAC hard drive. Previously, I had the whole kit and kaboodle on the external drive - and wondered if this might not be the best practice for speed etc.

Anyway - just thought I'd close this off for folk. Summary - If your LR catalog takes too long to populate, you prob have a sick drive!