5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 8:32 AM by lolly_slippen

Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor

lolly_slippen

Hi there,

I am new to adobe flash community and new on using the flash language, so pardon me about it.

I am currently trying to send data from the pressure sensor through Arduino and display it on flash.

Don't worry about the sensor and Arduino side of it since I have done the coding and communication part of it to flash, now I am trying to do is when the user press the sensor to have the circle ball [movieclip] to scale and expand the size according to the amount of pressure input from the sensor.

Below is the code I have done so far for the scaling and hopefully is on track, I use the width and height to adjust the size however I received an error that said "call to possibly undefined method CircleGreen".

Any ideas on what to do is greatly appreciate it , I will play around and let you know if I fix my problem.

Thank you

var circleGreen = new CircleGreen();

a.addEventListener(ArduinoEvent.ANALOG_DATA, onTickk);

function onTickk(e:ArduinoEvent):void{

var feetValue:int;

feetValue = a.getAnalogData(0);  //to get the data from the sensor

circleGreen.x = -circleGreen.width / 2 + 312;

circleGreen.y = -circleGreen.height / 2 + 188;

circleGreen.width = feetValue / 40 ;

circleGreen.height = feetValue / 40 ;

addChild(circleGreen);

}

• 1. Re: Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor
          lolly_slippen Level 1

I've changed the variable

var circleGreen = new MovieClip();

the error for "possibly undefined method CircleGreen" has disappeared but nothing happens, the circle is not resizing, although there are no error displayed. I assume is my logic of the coding is wrong. I will fiddle around more in the hope of finding solution soon.

• 2. Re: Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor
            funkysoul Level 4

Maybe something like this?

Assuming that you don't have any movieclip on the stage with the name circleGreen, I just drew it with AS3

var circleGreen:Sprite;

function init():void{
                 circleGreen = new Sprite();
                 circleGreen.graphics.beginFill(0x00FF00, 1);
                 circleGreen.graphics.drawCircle(stage.stageWidth / 2, stage.stageHeight / 2,100);
                 circleGreen.graphics.endFill();
                 addChild(circleGreen);

a.addEventListener(ArduinoEvent.ANALOG_DATA, onTickk);     
            }

init();

function onTickk(e:ArduinoEvent):void{

var feetValue:int;
              feetValue = a.getAnalogData(0);  //to get the data from the sensor

//since i don't know what range of values the arduino sensor ouputs, the normalized output should always be between 0 and 1 so you can safely multiply the normalized value with something that fits better.
              circleGreen.scaleX = circleGreen.scaleY = normalize(feetValue) * 4;
            }

function normalize(value:Number) {
                 var normalized:Number = (value - 0)/(1 - 0)
                  return normalized;
            }

• 3. Re: Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor
              lolly_slippen Level 1

Hi FunkySoul,

Thanks for replying, I've noticed that you put "stage" in the code, is it necessary to put import.flash.display.stage?

The arduino sensor analog output has an acceptable range between 0 to 255.

I've tested the code and when I played in SWF, the circle ball appeared for less then a second and then it disappears.

• 4. Re: Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor
                funkysoul Level 4

yes the stage needs to be imported, but you can also replace stage.stageWidth and stage.stageHeight with any number you want.

Regarding the value simply change line 25 to this:

var normalized:Number = (value - 0)/(255 - 0);

Yes it makes sense that you only see the circle for less than a second, as it's immediately waiting for user input from the sensor. as soon as you have normalized your sensor values, things should start to look again.

• 5. Re: Scaling Movieclip according to the input from sensor
                  lolly_slippen Level 1

cool, will tried out after I get back from work in few hours. Thanks a lot funkysoul, will update again in few hours.