9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 5:42 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

cleaning up tables

Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hello,

I've imported a large table into ID from MS Word. So, of course, it's a bit of a mess. I want to clean it up. I've got my paragraph styles all set up. No problem there. But, because of the change in typeface and other factors, the table falls differently than the original. I need to place some header rows at the tops of some pages. When I tell it to insert a row, it places it at the bottom of the previous page, not at the top of the present page, where I want it. Can someone please help me with this? I've tried to put in a page break at the bottom of the previous page, but, that doesn't seem to take in a table.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: cleaning up tables
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I hate tables...

Is this the same header row on all pages? You can define a row to be a Header Row for that purpose. Otherwise, you may need to break the table into several distinct tables to control the flow.

• 2. Re: cleaning up tables
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Peter,

Not cool question from somebody who loves tables to somebody who hates them:

In "landscape mode" pages, how to have the title and the header on "odd" but not "even" pages without breaking the table?

• 3. Re: cleaning up tables
              Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Ha. Two responses from two guys who hate tables. Pretty funny.

Here's what I've done so far. I've managed to merge all of the tables into one flowing table. That's great, but, now, I'm finding, towards the end, that I shouldn't have done that for ALL the tables. Because, it actually goes from four columns to two columns. The two-column bit is, of course, a separate table. Now, I need to split the table! Once I've got all this done I can put in healthy header rows and I should be set. But, I really need to split this thing.

Cheers.

• 4. Re: cleaning up tables
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Obi-wan doesn't hate tables, and he loves to play games. I think his post was a challenge.

• 5. Re: cleaning up tables
                  Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

Hi Peter,

An InDesign table can only contain 1 header per table although as stated by Peter Spier, that header can repeat in every text column, once per page, or once per frame. I'm wondering if the reason that the row is inserting on the previous page could be because you have a header row already defined which is repeating on each page. I think to achieve the result you are looking for, you'll have to format the rows uniquely to look like headers but they won't actually be headers (officially). Or you can split the table into several individual tables with a header on each. A screenshot and more details might help us to give you a more appropriate answer.

• 6. Re: cleaning up tables
                    Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Yeh, I know that. My problem now is trying to split the table. And, it's apparently not possible. Adobe Tech Support actually told me that. They told me to go back to word and split the table there, then re-place it. I guess I'll try that. I think I'm OK with the header rows now because I basically merged all of the tables into one. From there I can define a header row. But, I stupidly merged too many tables into one. That's my problem now. I merged four-column tables with two-column tables.

• 7. Re: cleaning up tables
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Obi-wan,

This is too easy to even bother with IF your header always appears in the same spot on the verso pages.

Just put a layer on the master that will be above the layer that contains the table text frame.

Set an unassigned object to Fill: Paper. This hides the header.

If, however, you need that area to sometimes not be hidden, create another master without the paper object.

Or do you have something difficult you need to do?

• 8. Re: cleaning up tables
                        Julian Beach Level 2

You can do it manually. Copy the rows from the point you want to split, paste them back after a line break in the main story flow, and then delete the ones you copied from the original table (you could cut them rather than copy, but I prefer to be cautious). Repeat until you have all the separate tables you need. Not as simple as doing it with a "split table" command, but perhaps someone can design a script for that!

• 9. Re: cleaning up tables
                          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Sandee,

Exactly the tip I use!  So cool!