5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 12:43 PM by donm26210672

Music score waveform

donm26210672

Why is there no waveform on the soundtrack when I insert a music score? It makes it difficult to see any volume adjustments.

• 1. Re: Music score waveform
          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Assuming Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for now.

When you use one of the project's Audio Tab/Music Scores (wav files), it can be presented on the Expert workspace Timeline with display style

black vertical line that runs across the middle of the audio clip

or

yellow/orange vertical line that runs across the middle of the audio clip

There is no waveform in either of these.

The Music Score soundtracks are not regular wav files. They are specially created so that changing their duration does not alter the music arrangement - similar in concept to SmartSound, but not SmartSound.

However that should not make it difficult to make volume adjustments....

a. At the Timeline level by moving the line up or down for the volume adjustments

b. Using the Tools/Audio Mixer to set the volume - volume keyframes set are visible on the Timeline audio clip's line after the playback has stopped and the Audio Mixer closed.

c. Going to Adjust Tab/Adjustments/Volume Panel expanded for the volume adjustments of the audio clip selected on the Timeline.

Please let me know where you are getting into difficulties doing a, b, c or other.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Music score waveform
            donm26210672 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 13 and Windows 7.

I can adjust the volume in the audio mixer but on the timeline it is just a green bar. There is nothing visible to see any adjustments. It's not a problem. I was just wondering why I couldn't see any waveforms.

• 3. Re: Music score waveform
              A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Add On...As to volume and waveform

In Premiere Elements, note the waveform when you are dealing with volume vs waveform versus gain vs waveform.

Original - Volume As Recorded (0.0 dB)

Volume1.JPG

Increased - Volume at 6.0 dB max

Volume2.JPG

Decreased - Volume at lowest level - no sound

Volume3.JPG

But, if you were to look at Gain (Clip Menu/Audio Options/Gain and set the gain for 6.0 dB) and waveform

Gain5.JPG

In this last screenshot, Volume is at 0.0 dB (original volume) and Gain has been increased to from 0.0 dB to 6.0 dB

The above was done with SmartSounds in Premiere Elements 11 where the SmartSounds wav does have display format with waveform.

Nonetheless, good to distinguish whether you are changing clip volume or gain.

Based on all that, I do not see where the presence of waveform in Premiere Elements 13 Music Scores would be of factor in establishing volume changes.

Please review, and let me know if I have overlooked factors in what you want to do. Also of note - Double clicking of SmartSound wav in version 11, brings up the clip's Preview Window for closer look at waveform. Double clicking of Music Score wav in version 13/13.1, just brings up a Music Score Properties dialog.

ATR

• 4. Re: Music score waveform
                A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the follow up.

I just saw you post 2 after I had posted 3.

As I mentioned initially SmartSound (version 11) and Music Score (in your Premiere Elements 13/13.1) both work from the same principle which lets you change the duration of the soundtrack without altering the music arrangements. But, the Music Score is not SmartSound which is last seen in Premiere Elements 11.

I have no insider information on why the waveform availability for SmartSound but not Music Score. Two different creations with the same principle.

But, from what I have been able to put together, I am not seeing the absence of Music Score waveform factoring into your volume changes.

ATR

• 5. Re: Music score waveform
                  donm26210672 Level 1

Thanks for the info and advice.