11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2015 10:14 AM by cssgeoff

Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside

cssgeoff

OSX 10.10.3, iMac Late 2012, ID CC 2015

All images that are placed inside a shape that is anything other than square/rectangle have terrible aliasing. Eg: Profile picture in a circle. Very very rough edges compared to how things displayed in other releases. Am in High Quality Display mode.

I have tried turning on and off the global anti-aliasing in the preferences, but it definitely is enabled, and when disabled, it affects everything in the document. The aliasing gets worse on the items in question when it's disabled, so it's not just that those objects are not anti-aliased at all.

All objects that have alias display issues render 100% correctly in bounced PDFs.

Shapes WITHOUT images inside them are smooth. Eg: A plain blue circle will look just fine. Place an image in it and it gets jagged.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you create screen captures and post them to your message thread with the Camera tool in the editing window so we can see what you're talking about. (It doesn't work to email them to the forum.)

• 3. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Raster images will ALWAYS show some stair-stepping on any edge that is not vertical or horizontal. How much depends on the angle of the slope and the image resolution. Keep in mind that in ID you are looking at a screen preview, which is inherently lower res. How does it look in a PDF?

• 4. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
              cssgeoff Level 1

Hi, thanks Peter.

My problem is that I was working in projects which looked great in screen preview in ID CC 2014, which when I moved to CC 2015 became noticeably and dramatically more stair-stepped. In previous releases, I hadn't noticed any stair stepping enough to pay attention to it before, but this release/issue (for me at least) has left some screen previews so bad that I don't want to show clients certain spreads in-program. These exact same spreads looked much better in-program in CC 2014 2 weeks ago somehow.

PDF's print to file correctly. I understand that's in the end the only thing that matters, but as someone who has used ID for years, it seems worth mentioning, because this issue (along with a couple others) has definitely made comping more difficult since I can't get as accurate of a representation in-program as I used to get from the same previous versions of the same software. Trying hard to work through some of this stuff, but it's slightly frustrating every day now.

• 5. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside

There are similar reports from other users, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's some reason connected to OS, video driver, etc.

I haven't played with CC2015 enough to have noticed if it's happening here, and I might not notice anyway since I seldom pay attention to screen previews.

• 6. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
                  cssgeoff Level 1

Hi, thanks again for the response Peter.

I think you could be right with video driver performance being an issue maybe? To be honest, I've noticed poor vector/alias/whatever performance in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop CC 2015 on this system versus previous releases. I had major trouble in Illustrator, which was mitigated by turning off GPU assistance- but it still seems like vector shapes are stairstepped, where they weren't before. Photoshop seems to be slightly worse at displaying these kinds of things as well, but Indesign and Illustrator are both having enough of an issue that it's been a struggle.

The issue appears similar to looking at non-retina stuff on a retina screen.

• 7. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
                    Gaurki Level 1

I looked up this thread because I also noticed this problem. A shape with a solid or gradient fill looks fine. When an image is added inside it looks jagged, regardless of zoom level or display settings in inDesign.

Running 10.10.4 on Mid-2011 iMac.

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Exported PDFs look ok but obviously I need inDesign to be capable of producing a visual preview of what will be exported with accurate reliability like it had been doing a couple weeks ago.

Also noticed dramatically decreased performance in Photoshop, lagging even while painting solid colors with a mid-sized brush. Haven't played with the GPU settings at all but I'm thinking this must be a loss of support for my GPU by either Adobe CC 2015 or Mac OS 10.10; not sure if it started with latest CC update or latest OS update.

• 8. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
                      cssgeoff Level 1

I also have another second similar thread on here: Re: Indesign CC 2015: Image display issues

Where I'm at with this all:

• I think Yosemite is the big problem, but I haven't personally tested rolling back to Mavericks because I gave up on this after 2 months of annoyance and troubleshooting and bought a new computer. I believe Yosemite is not handling some video drivers correctly.

• CC 2015 programs look remarkably worse on this machine than their 2014 counterparts, but even 2014 apps look worse than they should in subtle ways and sometimes not so subtle ways. Illustrator 2014 looks terrible. Illustrator 2015 is unusable.

• Performance is AWFUL in all Adobe programs now. Sluggish response, especially in Photoshop. Frequent ~10sec hangups when doing simple things which never occurred previously.

• I thought it was a NVIDIA specific problem, but I now don't believe that to be true, especially since you are on an AMD and having same issues. My MacBook Pro has Yosemite and CC 2015 and everything seems fine- that system has an Intel graphics card I believe.

• 9. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
                        janoroh

It's actually not a Mac issue, I'm having the same problem on Win 7 64 bit. The high quality display is working pretty terribly since updating to CC 2015 from CC 2014. While their new driver actually works okay with the page previews in the page overview tab (in CC 2014 it took forever to generate those thumbnails), it definitely doesn't with the high quality display. Pages will be displayed correctly in hq and suddenly randomly go bad. Sometimes deactivating/reactivating the visibility of the whole layer in the layer panel helps, sometimes not. The display of 1200 dpi tifs in b/w bitmap mode is especially bad. It goes from looking crystal clear (as it should) to sub-par jugged lines that look like the whole thing was put through a fax machine 100 times over and over again. This is extremely annoying for working on comic books where I have to put the 1200 dpi lineart over the 300 dpi color backgrounds.

• 10. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside

I see intermittent display problems in several versions in Win7 that seem to be related to Logitech mouse drivers and scrolling horizontally. Holding the Alt and Spacebar down to get the Hand tool, then clicking once anywhere clears them up. Might not be the same thing, though.

• 11. Re: Indesign CC 2015: Bad aliasing on shapes with placed images inside
                            cssgeoff Level 1

This specific display issue appears to be better as of the latest update 11.1.0.122. Still having other issues (super pixelated and low quality images)

Borders around placed images in shapes appear less jagged. Not perfect, but seems nearly as clean.

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 10.10.52 AM.png