4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 1:02 PM by Szalam

Should I use a green screen or rotoscope this?

media kat Level 1

I want to create the effect of a baby flying around my backyard. I'd like to shoot video of my backyard, and then separately shoot video of a baby somehow in front of a collapsible green screen under the same natural lighting, key out the green screen in After Effects and make the baby move, fly, etc. on a separate layer in the program. I'm hoping it will all look good since it will be based on the same lighting.

This made me think that it might be easier to just do it in AE by holding the baby and moving around the backyard with just my arms in the shot and mask out the baby or get rid of my arms? Any suggestions for how to approach this in AE based on what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Should I use a green screen or rotoscope this?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think your second option is better. Carry the baby around and just mask you out. Just make sure the camera doesn't move and your hand doesn't occlude the baby at all. Luckily, they're usually a little chubby, so that should help. Alternatively, you can make sure the baby's wardrobe helps to hide the holding hand.

• 2. Re: Should I use a green screen or rotoscope this?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you lock down the camera and shoot a clean plate then it should be easy to Roto you out of the frame.

If you want to use a handheld camera then I would use a green screen. Expect to take a lot more time making a handheld shot look right.

• 3. Re: Should I use a green screen or rotoscope this?
              media kat Level 1

Just for clarification:

- I place the camera on the tripod and shoot some video of the environment

- I step into the shot with the baby and try to minimize how much of me is in the shot

- I roto the part of me that is in the shot

- With both clips, the part of me that was removed will be replaced by the background from the other shot

1. Do these steps sound correct?

2. After rotoscoping me out of the image, what exactly am I doing with the masked out portion, that part I am not clear on.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Should I use a green screen or rotoscope this?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're masked out, just plop the shot with nobody in it underneath.

It doesn't matter how much of you is in the shot. What matters most is that you don't occlude the baby.

Basically, you're cutting the baby out and placing it in the scene without you. We're just trying to help you have less rotoscoping/cloning work.