1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 10:42 AM by ssprengel

Going back from LR6 to previous version because of massive slowdown: catalog cannot be "downgraded"

palalomo

Well, it seems that Adobe has failed again.

I have recently purchased a new computer (lenovo w550s : Intel i7, 250G SSD, 16G RAM, Nvidia Quadro GC). Something that should normally allow me to run lightroom "confortably".

I have installed the new Lightroom CC/2015 version when it has become available. Since then, I have experienced very low performance. I've tried everything I read on forums to bring back the experience I use to have with previous versions of LR.

Nothing worked. I fiannly decided to re-install the previos version (5.7.1) only to discover that my catalog, update to LR6 can not be accessed anymore by LR5. What a joke !!!

Is there any way to access my LR catalog from LR5 ?

• 1. Re: Going back from LR6 to previous version because of massive slowdown: catalog cannot be "downgraded"
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you could access your LR 6 catalog from LR 5 your LR 6.1 would be called LR 5.9 not LR 6.  Catalogs of a new series of LR never work with the previous versions.  It is by design and one of the reasons for changing a major version.

What you can do is save metadata to all your photos to XMP files, which will save a snapshot of your LR6 settings in an external file for each image.  Now import those images with their updated XMP data into LR5.  LR 5 will import the files using whatever settings are stored in the XMP and interpret the settings it understands and ignore the ones it doesn’t.  That will get you most of the way.  I think one of either color flags or rating flags aren’t saved in the XMP file, I don’t remember which, so things will be incomplete, and of course LR 2015.1 Dehaze operations won’t be understood by LR 5.