Exit

i3 it is enough? cc14 or cc15

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i3 3220 and 2gb ram it is enough?

Hi everyone.

My budget is very low so I would like ask if my configuration is adequate to work with 1080p footage of Canon 510 and gopro?

I know that i need to improve my memory ram. I will work only with premiere and after effects. Which GPU do you recommend?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regrettably, no. The footage from both of the cameras that you mentioned are extremely CPU-intensive to begin with. A quad-core, eight-thread i7 CPU or higher is strongly recommended for this video material. Your CPU, however, has only two physical cores and four threads. And no such CPU will perform as fast as even a quad-core i5 without hyperthreading, let alone a multi-core i7 with hyperthreading. With such a CPU as the one you currently have, expect to spend two to three times longer than if you had even a mediocre quad-core i5 just to perform basic editing tasks.

And even if you had upgraded the amount of RAM in your machine, if you're still going to continue to use that i3 despite my warning, don't go with any GPU higher than a GTX 750 (non-Ti) for that machine. Anything higher than that will be a waste of money because such an overkill GPU will be forced to wait for the CPU to catch up.

Remember, balance is very important in a PC that is to be used for editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you for your feedback. I will try config a new desktop.

Which hardware do you recommend for my cameras? CPU? GPU and Memory Ram? The other hardware I can handle it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would recommend that you read all of the articles on Harm Millard's Tweakers Page.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page

I am not sure what your budget is but here is a budget "critical component list" that should be well balanced.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W8sHt6

As Rjl190365 said, your footage is CPU intensive so it would be nice to have a better CPU like an i7-4970k, but that may be out of your budget.  If AMD gets their act together with their new CPUs they might be something to look at per Redsharknews.com. I wouldn't count on it though as they have stuck to the lower end of the market so far, and Adobe software really needs the "firmware" that Intel has.

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/2402-can-amd-s-new-processor-exploit-intel’s-delays

The GPU should go on sale for around $100 sooner or later. You could also buy an MSI or Gigabyte if they are on sale.

You will need a Z97 motherboard like this one versus an H97 if you want to overclock

It is a very important to have multiple hard drives.  At least one for your OS and paging file and one for your project files, raw media, Premiere Pro's cache, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also depends on which i3 that's in a given system. The thread starter's i3-3220 is an Ivy Bridge CPU. Just yesterday I put together a Mini-ITX PC build with a Skylake i3-6100 CPU, an H170 motherboard, 16GB (two 8GB modules) of DDR4-2400 RAM running at DDR4-2133 speed, all-SATA-SSD storage and a GTX 960 GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. My initial testing with that PC resulted in a total PPBM9 time of 330-ish seconds, with an export result from the H.264 Blu-ray timeline of 190-ish seconds. That's almost as fast as a PC equipped with a five-year-old Sandy Bridge i5-2400 CPU, the same amount of system RAM and identical storage and graphics components. Ah-mazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "for real" testing on my i3-6100 mini box reveals the following results:

Disk I/O: 82 seconds

MPEG-2 DVD (MPE on): 45 seconds

MPEG-2 DVD (MPE off): 1,224 seconds

H.264 Blu-ray (MPE on): 195 seconds

Total: 322 seconds

RPI (as of the current PPBM6 list): 448.8

These results were, indeed, ahmazing for a PC that's equipped with a CPU that has only two physical cores although still no match for a decent, properly tuned quad-core CPU-based PC. In pro terms, performance-wise this little PC would more than suffice for 720p video work, and can do 1080p in a pinch.

The thread starter's i3-3220 Ivy Bridge CPU-based PC would have tested out significantly slower, overall, than my i3-6100 Skylake mini-box.

My testing with my i3 Skylake mini-breadbox PC just serves to embarrass AMD (in its current state) even further: Even the fastest octo-core FX CPU-based PC in that PPBM6 list is substantially slower, in both total time and the RPI, than my i3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RjL190365 wrote:

My "for real" testing on my i3-6100 mini box reveals the following results:

Disk I/O: 82 seconds

MPEG-2 DVD (MPE off): 1,224 seconds

H.264 Blu-ray (MPE on): 195 seconds

Total: 322 seconds

RPI (as of the current PPBM6 list): 448.8

These results were, indeed, ahmazing for a PC that's equipped with a CPU that has only two physical cores although still no match for a decent, properly tuned quad-core CPU-based PC. In pro terms, performance-wise this little PC would more than suffice for 720p video work, and can do 1080p in a pinch.

I have just upgraded the CPU in my breadbox to an i5-6500 (with the i3-6100 going into my cousin's PC that I have rebuilt from a system that originally had an early Core 2 Duo CPU, an Intel 975X chipset-based motherboard and 4GB of DDR2 RAM, all of which are now long obsolete). I have retested this system, and here are my results this time:

Disk I/O: 83 seconds

MPEG-2 DVD (MPE off): 873 seconds

H.264 Blu-ray (MPE on): 157 seconds

Total: 285 seconds

RPI: 423.6

Just looking at the total street price of the two configurations (all other components besides the CPU are the same), the CPU "upgrade" to the i5-6500 isn't worth the extra cost over the i3-6100 based on the overall PPBM RPI and the total cost of the entire PC (minus the monitor).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines