4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 3:51 PM by trshaner

Lightroom CC applying label colours to multiple photos

Radial180

I had a good workflow in Lightroom 5x when processing my wedding photos which would be to create a series of sub folders in the main wedding folder, then move certain groups of photos across into the those folders, i.e. formals, cake, first dance etc. 

In order to mark them as have been placed into a sub group, I would hit the selected photos with 6 (red label) key and with a No Label metadata filter applied would leave with the remaining pictures to group.

In Lightroom CC things have changed which I have found incredibly frustrating.

I select a bunch of pictures to be moved into a sub folder, drag them across, hit key 6 (with the same No Label metadata filter applied as above) but only the first photo has the red label applied. 

It is probably best illustrated by the screenshot.  10 photos selected and dragged into the 'ceremony' folder. Once the mouse is released, only one photo remains selected.  The long winded workaround is to go into each folder afterwards, select the photos again, apply the red label and then continue back at the beginning.

Have I missed something in the options as this has worked in all previous LR versions having used it extensively to v1..?

Any suggestions welcome!

Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 14.42.26.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC applying label colours to multiple photos
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can confirm this behavior in LR CC 2015.1. In LR5.7.1 the image files all remain selected when moved to a new folder. You can add your vote and comment here:

LightRoom 6 unselects recently moved photos

To be perfectly honest I recommend not moving files after they are imported into LR. This opens the door to file corruption (i.e. disk write errors) and lost files if accidentally moved into the wrong folder. Instead of using folders to catalog and organize the image files why not use LR's rating, keywording, and collections tools along with the Grid and Filmstrip filter bars? There's an excellent book on the subject available here:

Organizing Your Photos with Lightroom 5 - The DAM Book

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC applying label colours to multiple photos
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I disagree partially with the post above. I see no reason not to move images to other folders if it is done within Lightroom and suits your work flow. As to file/image corruption that can happen at any time, moved, not moved, whatever. If the disk fails or has problem reading and writing files you will lose all your work.

As to the problem of the images not being selected after the move just press Ctrl + A (Windows) or Command + A (Mac) to select all the images in that folder. Yes an extra step but it will solve the current problem you are having.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC applying label colours to multiple photos
              Radial180 Level 1

There are two of us shooting at a wedding and moving them into folders is the easiest way for me to get some sort of order into the 2000+ photos taken between us.  The photos are always moved within LR and I have never had a problem with disk corruption or losing files.

My workaround today has been as suggested by Shootisbond007 and I've created a filter to assist with the process although it takes a little longer than the original version of LR.

Thanks for the replies.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC applying label colours to multiple photos
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As long as you move the files within the same physical drive it's not likely to cause corruption. You still have the issue of "missing files" if they are accidentally dragged & dropped into the wrong folder inside LR. You may not even know they are missing if processing "2000+ photos!" It was just a suggestion.

Getting back to the issue of this post you may want to add your +1 Vote and comment at the Photoshop Family problem report link I provided. This is the best way to get Adobe's attention if you want it fixed.