7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 1:26 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio & Video out of sync

hbit

Hi, I am new to Premier Elements and I would appreciate any help you have

I have imported a movie from my iPad using Adobe Elements Organizer 13 to my MacBook Pro (Late 2013) running OS 10.10.3. When I view it in Premier Elements 13.1, the audio and video are out of sync at the end of the movie. It is the same when I publish the movie and view it on QuickTime. I tried rendering the movie before publishing it and it made no difference.

However, if I view the original movie that was imported using Organizer with QuickTime the end of the movie is in sync.

The file that was originally imported on my computer is H.264, AAC. I am not sure how to tell the quality of the sound or the quality & settings for the video and audio when it was imported to Premier Elements.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
            A.T. Romano Level 7

hbit

What happens if you import your video from the iPad into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor first, not the Elements Organizer 13.1 first.

For now I will assume that the iPad is giving you a 1080p30 video. Please import the 1080p30 video into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 using the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

When you play back the video in the Expert workspace Timeline, is the audio out of sync with the video? Is there no colored line or orange line over that video content when you do that playback?

iPad typically records with a variable frame rate rather than constant one. Premiere Elements does not fare well with variable frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to be import the video at all. The answer has been to take the iPad video into free HandBrake to get a H.264.mp4 version with a constant rather than variable frame rate. Then you take that H.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements using Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders.

The variable frame is probably at the core of your issue, but I just want to make sure that your choice of transferring the video to the program and the project preset are not forcing the issue.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...when you import files into Premiere Elements, a copy of the file automatically gets placed in the Elements Organizer. Advantage to that than placing the file in the Elements Organizer and importing it from there into the Premiere Elements Editor. To be discussed if indicated.

• 3. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
              hbit Level 1

Here is a screenshot of the movie

Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 12.38.22 PM.png

I am still not sure if it is a constant or variable frame rate.  How can I tell?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
                A.T. Romano Level 7

hbit

Does the Mac version of MediaInfo offer a "Tree View". Look for a View Menu at the top of the page. In the Windows version that is where you can gain access to the Tree View which gives you detailed video and audio properties readouts.

What you would be looking for is whether or not the audio properties give one frame rate or three. If three that points to a variable frame rate. The three frames rates would be for minimum frame rate, frame rate, and maximum frame rate.

ATR

• 5. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
                  hbit Level 1

ATR, Thanks for the reply,

I was not able to re-import the movie directly from the iPad to Premier Elements because I already deleted it from the iPad. I did import the movie from the file on my computer to Premier Elements using the presets you suggested. The audio and video were still out of sync, but it did not seem as bad.

I used Handbrake with the codec you suggested with constant frame rate and re-imported it to Premier Elements and that did the trick.

By the way, in Handbrake, for the framerate I chose 29.97 (NTSC Video) I am assuming that is the best option. Am I correct?

Thanks again

• 6. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
                    hbit Level 1

ATR

I forgot to mention that I Mediainfo has a tree version. It is the middle icon on the screenshot on my earlier reply. I checked it and it showed that the video was shot at a variable frame rate.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Audio & Video out of sync
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

hbit

Great news of your success. And, great job sorting through the issues.

Typically the middle frame rate in the set of 3 in MediaInfo works well. I think that is what probably happened for your HandBrake constant frame rate set.

Best wishes.

ATR