4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 9:00 AM by dj_paige

The LR6.1 Debate: Standalone vs CC

Mike Woodford

I have been a fan and long term Adobe customer, buying all versions of LR since v3.0, and most versions of PS Elements over the years. I invested more hard-earned money in LR6 (perpetual licence version) and upgraded to LR6.1 looking forward to new features such as de-haze, however, it - and the other new features - are not available. Surely I am entitled to the same new features and updates as CC LR6.1, per all the assurances from Adobe over past months?

Previous iterations of major LR releases have delivered the usual support plus new features. Perhaps this comes down to what one is actually paying for?

• Are CC subscribers paying in advance or in arrears? I could subscribe, pay one monthly fee, and have immediate access to the new 6.1 features, right?
      • Have I paid for Standalone v6 as purely a 'today snapshot' of the software plus bug fixes? Or should I continue to expect new features to be delivered via interim versions, precisely as they have been historically?
      • Why is my customer experience of LR now being negatively affected by roll-out of an entirely separate Adobe commercial endeavour (CC)?
      • I fully expect LR7 to comprise many new and upgraded features, which I will be happy to have the choice as to whether to purchase. However, will Adobe even release a standalone v7?

It cannot help but appear to be coercion by Adobe for very long term faithful 'standalone' customers to move to CC. Is it Adobe's intention to deliver these new features in Standalone LR at all? Perhaps in v7?

• 1. Re: The LR6.1 Debate: Standalone vs CC
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In my opinion, if you are looking at Lightroom CC as coercion, then you should probably purchase Lightroom 6.1. You will have to wait for Lightroom 7 in order to get all of the new features that might be added along the way to Lightroom CC. As an example, you will have to wait for the Dehaze adjustment, and the added features to the adjustment brush and other tools. But at least you will "own" your license for Lightroom 6. That is the conception that most people have. In reality, what you own is a license to use Lightroom 6 and the features that it provides. Whether you like the Adobe plan is irrelevant. It's working for the company. But if you don't like it you can purchase Lightroom 6.1. A lot of users are doing that and, for the most part, are happy. Some of them don't understand why they aren't getting new features that are available in Lightroom CC, but I have explained that to you.

• 2. Re: The LR6.1 Debate: Standalone vs CC
            Jim Wilde Level 5

Mike Woodford wrote:

Previous iterations of major LR releases have delivered the usual support plus new features. Perhaps this comes down to what one is actually paying for?

This is where the argument fails. Previous iterations of major LR releases have delivered the usual support (bug fixes, new camera/lens support) only....and this is exactly what you will continue to receive with the perpetual license version of LR6, which is what we have all been told from the outset. The only exceptions to this have been the occasional new feature which was only ever made available when the first "dot release" was released in the same financial reporting period as the initial "x.0" release (this restriction is related to the accounting policies under which Adobe corporate operates). This time around the 6.1 release was not ready in time to fall within the same reporting period as the initial release, hence it was not possible to include Dehaze etc.

No "coercion" at all, simply two different models with different pay methods, and it was made abundantly clear from the outset how they would work.

• 3. Re: The LR6.1 Debate: Standalone vs CC
              szerszen

To be clear, does this imply that the features in question may be made part of an LR6 dot release?

• 4. Re: The LR6.1 Debate: Standalone vs CC
                dj_paige Level 9

szerszen wrote:

To be clear, does this imply that the features in question may be made part of an LR6 dot release?

In my understanding of LR 6, this will not happen. The new features will appear in LR 7. On the day Lightroom 6 was released, Adobe explained this policy. See: The CC Photography Plan Keeps Getting Better: All New Lightroom CC and More Available Today! | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG, where it is explicitly stated that LR 6 would not receive new features.