4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 1:20 PM by phil2015d

Folder appears under "root" in library tree view after import

phil2015d

Hi experts,

after two years without problems, I've encountered some strange behavior importing photos:

When I import pictures from my SD-card, the folder I'm importing to ends up in root in library view. Let's say the folder, where I want to import to is /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw . I choose /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw as target for the import. After the import, when I go back to library view, the folder /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw apparently stays empty, while a new folder /raw appears at the same level as /media. The photos can be viewed only in this folder. When I try to move the photos from /raw to  /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw Lightroom tells me the photos are already there.

Looking into the file system, everything is fine. The files are under /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw. (Of course I do all file and folder operations only through Lightroom.)

For me this looks like a new setting, unfortunately I cannot find where to get rid of this... And I don't want all folders end up in root.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

=========================

Version Lightroom: 5.7 [991162]

Lizenztyp: Perpetual

Betriebssystem: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [3]

• 1. Re: Folder appears under "root" in library tree view after import
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In the Folders panel on the left, right-click the "raw" folder and select Show Parent Folder.

• 2. Re: Folder appears under "root" in library tree view after import
            phil2015d Level 1

Hi John,

thanks for the fast reply!

When I click Show Parent Folder on "raw", I get /holiday_italy/raw shown in root. Then do it again on "holiday_italy", I get /06/holiday_italy/raw. Again and again: /2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw is shown.

Seems this is like just duplicating the original branch. When I look into the folders, those photos which show up in the "original" branch are missing in the "new" an vice versa.

When I right-click "2010s" and select Show Parent Folder I do not get /media/2010s/2015/06/holiday_italy/raw as expected, instead an "Internal Error":

>>>

Database "/Users/name/DATA/priv/Lightroom_Catalog/lr_catalog/lr_catalog-2.lrcat": columns rootFolder, pathFromRoot are not unique

Statement: UPDATE AgLibraryFolder SET rootFolder = ?,pathFromRoot = ? WHERE id_local = ?;

<<<

What next?

Thank you,

Phil

• 3. Re: Folder appears under "root" in library tree view after import
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

This is an old bug that Adobe has never fixed.  See if the solution in this thread helps: Re: Importing Problem.  Make sure to backup your catalog first!!!

• 4. Re: Folder appears under "root" in library tree view after import
                phil2015d Level 1

THANKS!!! That did it!

You saved my day!

Pasting the solution:

>>>

1. Backup your catalog, just in case something wrong.

2. Create a dummy (i.e. new but empty) folder at the root of your MacintoshHD drive, call it something like "Dummy Images".

3. In the Lightroom Folders Panel right/ctrl-click on "My Lightroom Images" and in the resulting context menu select "Update Folder Location". A file browser window will open, use this to navigate to and select the "Dummy Images" folder. Don't be alarmed when "My Lightroom Images" disappears from the panel to be replaced by "Dummy Images", and all the sub-folders will have the "?" mark to indicate they're missing.

4. Next, right/ctrl-click on "Dummy Images" and again select "Update Folder Location".This time browse to and select the "MY LIGHTROOM IMAGES" folder, and if all goes to plan you should now see everything back as it should be, with "2014 Photographs" showing with the other year sub-folders. One thing to note, there MAY be a "Merge" warning message, i.e. along the lines of "This folder already exists in the catalog, do you want to merge", if so choose "Merge".

<<<