1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 5:08 AM by trshaner

Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

JPW1

Hi, I've recently upgraded to LR6 and found that my JPEG images appear significantly lighter than their original RAW files.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you judging the lightness using the X|Y compare option in LR Library after importing the exported JPG back into LR or some other way?

• 2. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
            JPW1 Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly! When I export I put the JPEG in the same location (and catalogue), so I'm not reimporting it, just comparing. The difference is most visible if I view the RAW and then JPEG images using the Loupe view (one after the other).

Could this be something related to thumbnails? But I didn't have the problem before. If I view older pictures, the JPEG is almost identical to the RAW image.

(I have changed two factors however - a new camera as well as upgrading to LR6 - the former forced me to do the latter)

• 3. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

You cannot see an image in LR without importing it.  Maybe you have the Add To Catalog checkbox enabled, which automatically imports the exported images.

Please show us a screenshot of the X|Y compare view in Library with the raw and jpg selected and visible side-by-side.

• 4. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                JPW1 Level 1

Hi ssprengel, thanks. I'm trying to send an image but the html editor is refusing the file types I've tried so far (and earlier today the Adobe forum website was down). Sorry for the delay - I have an example ready to post when I can work out how...

• 5. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

You can copy/paste an image into the text area of a forum message on the forum website, or you can use the camera icon across the top to include a saved file from your hard drive:

• 6. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                    JPW1 Level 1

Example-RAW-jpeg.jpg

Phew - I've managed to paste this in! I was getting 'file type rejected' when I tried the upload option.

Anyway thanks again for your response - you will see from these two images that the right hand (JPEG) is lighter than the left hand (RAW) when viewed in the library. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong, because before LR6 and my new camera, the two always looked identical (to my eye) when viewed in LR.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

The pasting of the image was unsuccessful.  All we can see is the name of the jpg, not the image, itself.

If you cannot attach the image to a message, here, then upload the image to dropbox.com and post the public share link to it, here.

• 8. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                        JPW1 Level 1

Dropbox - Example-RAW-jpeg.jpg

Good idea - thanks. Did this work?

I'm afraid I tried multiple times to upload/paste a picture without success!

• 9. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

On my system, downloaded from your link and opened in PS CC 2015, they look extremely similar. The one on the right might be slightly lighter but that could be because of the color space the exporting is using or some other setting in the export dialog window.

That is if the one on the right is the JPG image.

• 10. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

They look about the same to me.  It would be helpful to have Loupe Info turned on that shows the filename, so we can see which is the JPG and which is the raw.

In X|Y compare mode, do the images look the same to you or not?  And if so then how are you comparing the images, otherwise, when they don't look the same?

• 11. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Here is the 5K monitor screenshot on dropbox:

Example-RAW-jpeg.jpg

• 12. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see a slight overall increase in image brightness, which could be due to over-sharpening a high ISO image.

Please tell us what camera these images were shot with, ISO setting, and LR Detail panel settings for Sharpening & Noise Reduction. If resizing the JPEGs during Export please provide the 'Image Sizing' and 'Output Sharpening' settings you are using.

• 13. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Looking at the screenshot at full resolution, I see no evidence of there being high-ISO noise.

At this point I agree with ShootistBond007 that very slight difference in brightness could just be the profile conversion during the Export.

What's important at this point is whether the OP is talking about this very slight difference in the exported JPG or if there is a much different brightness when viewed with a different utility.

It might be useful at this point to be able to download the raw file and exported jpg for examination on our systems.  Can the OP upload the original raw and exported jpg to dropbox.com and post a public share link, here?

• 14. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                    JPW1 Level 1

The one on the right is the JPEG. Yes when compared next to each other they look close, but when I flick from one to the other the difference is pronounced. You can see it most in shadow areas like the cymbal on the left hand side, and the face of the drummer in the background. All the images from this shoot show similar lightening. Yes please do let me know whether you think the settings below might have caused this. I am not aware of having changed these at all from all my previous shooting where the (developed) RAW image and the exported JPEG have always looked identical.

Original RAW (NEF) image: Dropbox - DSC_0133.NEF

Camera settings for this picture: Dropbox - CAMERAsettings.tiff

Develop settings that have been applied to the RAW file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb296cgh3z9496c/DEVELOPsettings.tiff?dl=0

Export settings used to create the (small) JPEG image: Dropbox - EXPORTsettings.tiff

Resulting JPEG image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/je4v8n408worfos/DSC_0133.jpg?dl=0

I hope those files provide all the information. I am using my new Nikon 7200. Apart from upgrading to Lightroom 6, the only other thing I can think of that has changed is the camera settings for RAW files. I've no idea how/if this could impact this, but I am using 12-bit compressed RAW to keep the NEF file sizes down a bit.

Thank you...

• 15. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                      andrewfreeman Level 3

What happens if you don't limit the file size?

• 16. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Here is a side-by-side of your NEF with your settings and your exported JPG.  I don't see any difference in tone in my LR CC 2015.1 on Windows 8.1 and mine are darker just like your Develop version.  Besides being limited to less than 1MB in size, your exported JPG has also been resized to 4000 on the longest side instead of the native resolution that is greater than 5000.  Since this one thing is different than your documented export settings, could your export have include sharpening as well, which would lighten things a bit on a high-ISO image.

• 17. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

I see the same as with no visual difference between the NEF and JPEG. I applied all LR adjustments and crop to match the OPs settings and Exported with Limit 1,000K, Long Edge 4000, Screen High Sharpening. The NEF and exported JPEG still look identical.

(click on image to see full-size)

DSC_0133_NEF to JPEG Compare.jpg

The Detail panel settings in the screenshot should not be causing any issues with this high ISO 2800 NEF. With over-sharpening and/or insufficient Luminance NR high ISO images may look lighter in the Library module when compared to the Develop module at Fit view. With the OP's settings the NEF looks identical in both. There are two possible causes, which the OP can test:

1) The Library Preview for one or both images is not being updated. In the Library module click on each image (one-at-a-time) to launch it in 1:1 view and wait for the 'Loading' popup to go away. Compare the images. If still the same select BOTH images (NEF & JPEG) and go to menu Library> Previews> Discard 1:1 Previews. With both images still selected go to Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews.Compare the images.

2) The GPU preview processing may be causing the issue. In LR menu Edit> Preferences> Performance uncheck 'Use Graphics Processor' as below:

• 18. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Can we get another copy of your exported jpg DSC_0133.jpg but this time with the CR settings embedded in it, using the All Metadata preset in the Export panel?

I am asking for this because the current sample JPG on dropbox has no CRS history tags in it.  CRS tags are what show the ACR/LR adjustments used to produce the JPG.   When I export a JPG from LR with the All Metadata preset selected I get all sorts of history, or example that the Camera Profile is Camera Standard:

However, when I open up your sample JPG from Dropbox, there are no CRS tags in it:

I am suspicious that the sample JPG was produced with settings other than what you think it was, and is lighter due to this, not some other problem with LR.  For example, I can get a lighter rendering from LR if I change the Camera Profile from Camera Standard to Adobe Standard.  Or I can get a lighter rendering from LR if I click Auto in the Basic toning area, instead of using the specific toning you've provided a screenshot of.

Basically, I'm asking you to prove your LR adjustments are what you say they are for the exported JPG by including those adjustments in the JPG.

• 19. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                              JPW1 Level 1

DSC_0133-2.jpg

I did a fresh export with 'All metadata' selected (I've not changed it, so I am surprised it didn't include all the metadata last time). Not sure how to view the metadata as you did? Does this include the CRS info?

• 20. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                JPW1 Level 1

Thank you trshaner - I can't yet resolve it with rebuilding previews or switching off the processor. I agree yours look identical. Thanks for demonstrating that. I've just tried exporting again to check I have no export effects but still having the same issue. Puzzling...EXPORTsettings.jpg

• 21. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

This one does not include any CRS tags, either.  I wonder if it's the LimitByFilesize that is purposely removing as much metadata as it can so as to make the file smaller, although my LimitByFilesize has CRS tags, so I don't know.  I am opening the JPGs in Wordpad, a Windows text editor, to see what text there is amidst the gibberish.

Your latest JPG looks fine on the screen, here, slightly darker like the raw and jpg on your systems.

Can we get anther side-by-side screenshot with this JPG and the raw that includes the Loupe Info overlay that has the filename and photo dimensions?  I press I (eye) on my keyboard to cycle between the various Loupe Info views.  You can do it from the menus as well.

• 22. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

ssprengel wrote:

This one does not include any CRS tags, either.  I wonder if it's the LimitByFilesize that is purposely removing as much metadata as it can so as to make the file smaller, although my LimitByFilesize has CRS tags.

The recent Export screenshot shows 'Limit File Size To' unchecked

This may be due to a corrupted Preferences file. I suggest resetting the LR Preferences file as outlined at the below link:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-fi le-updated

It may even correct the lighter JPEG preview issue....don't know until you try it!

• 23. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                      JPW1 Level 1

I'll try prefs and report back - thanks trshaner...

• 24. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

And consistent with the Export settings not matching what settings were used to produce the new -2 JPG, the filesize is still under 1MB (936,229 bytes).

• 25. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Using the OPs original NEF Crop & Develop settings and Export settings in post #20, I get 1,261 KB, but my file has all of the LR settings metadata. With Metadata 'All Except Camera & Camera Raw Info' it's 810 KB, which is closer to the OP's.

The only thing I am aware of that would do this (different metadata than selected in the Export module) is a corrupted Preferences file.

DSC_0133-Quality 58.jpg

• 26. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                            JPW1 Level 1

I just tried deleting the prefs file and resetting (as per instructions in that useful link). No luck, unfortunately. Very puzzling that you're not getting the visual difference I have.

Any other things I could try? I'm trying to think what could be different between my system and yours.

• 27. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

We may have been thrown off by this statement in your post #2:

"I have changed two factors however - a new camera as well as upgrading to LR6 - the former forced me to do the latter."

The assumption being LR5 is working correctly and LR6 or the new camera image files is causing the issue. Do you use a monitor calibrator (i1 Display, Spyder)? If so recalibrate the monitor to 6500K and 2.2 Gamma making sure the calibration software preferences are set to create ICC Version 2,  Matrix profiles. If you do NOT calibrate your monitor use the procedure as outlined below to assign it the sRGB profile if using a standard-gamut monitor, or the Adobe RGB profile if using a wide-gamut monitor:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/corrupted-monitor-profile/

• 28. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                JPW1 Level 1

I don't (yet!) calibrate my monitor with anything external. I'm using an iMac retina, which I gather (now) is not wide-gamut.

I've deleted my display profile and re-started to create a fresh one. Also played with the calibration settings (advanced settings). No luck yet. It is set to gamma 2.2.

• 29. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

Resetting the preferences was hopefully going to allow producing a JPG that was larger than 1MB and had the CRS adjustments embedded in it. 

JPW1 can you upload a third exported JPG after resetting the preferences, and making sure the Resizing and Sharpening are OFF, Quality is 90-100, the All Metadata is included, the Color Profile is sRGB?  Then upload to dropbox and post a link, here?

• 31. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                    JPW1 Level 1

P.S. I think there is CRS info in there. Anything useful below?

crs:Version="9.1" crs:ProcessVersion="6.7" crs:WhiteBalance="As Shot" crs:AutoWhiteVersion="134348800" crs:Temperature="3750" crs:Tint="+5" crs:Saturation="0" crs:Sharpness="32" crs:LuminanceSmoothing="22" crs:ColorNoiseReduction="25" crs:VignetteAmount="0" crs:ShadowTint="0" crs:RedHue="0" crs:RedSaturation="0" crs:GreenHue="0" crs:GreenSaturation="0" crs:BlueHue="0" crs:BlueSaturation="0" crs:Vibrance="+18" crs:HueAdjustmentRed="0" crs:HueAdjustmentOrange="0" crs:HueAdjustmentYellow="0" crs:HueAdjustmentGreen="0" crs:HueAdjustmentAqua="0" crs:HueAdjustmentBlue="0" crs:HueAdjustmentPurple="0" crs:HueAdjustmentMagenta="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentRed="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentOrange="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentYellow="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentGreen="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentAqua="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentBlue="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentPurple="0" crs:SaturationAdjustmentMagenta="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentRed="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentOrange="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentYellow="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentGreen="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentAqua="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentBlue="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentPurple="0" crs:LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta="0" crs:SplitToningShadowHue="0" crs:SplitToningShadowSaturation="0" crs:SplitToningHighlightHue="0" crs:SplitToningHighlightSaturation="0" crs:SplitToningBalance="0" crs:ParametricShadows="0" crs:ParametricDarks="0" crs:ParametricLights="0" crs:ParametricHighlights="0" crs:ParametricShadowSplit="25" crs:ParametricMidtoneSplit="50" crs:ParametricHighlightSplit="75" crs:SharpenRadius="+1.1" crs:SharpenDetail="18" crs:SharpenEdgeMasking="0" crs:PostCropVignetteAmount="0" crs:GrainAmount="0" crs:LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail="29" crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="45" crs:LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast="0" crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="5" crs:LensProfileEnable="0" crs:LensManualDistortionAmount="0" crs:PerspectiveVertical="0" crs:PerspectiveHorizontal="0" crs:PerspectiveRotate="0.0" crs:PerspectiveScale="100" crs:PerspectiveAspect="0" crs:PerspectiveUpright="0" crs:AutoLateralCA="0" crs:Exposure2012="+0.32" crs:Contrast2012="0" crs:Highlights2012="0" crs:Shadows2012="+20" crs:Whites2012="0" crs:Blacks2012="0" crs:Clarity2012="0" crs:DefringePurpleAmount="0" crs:DefringePurpleHueLo="30" crs:DefringePurpleHueHi="70" crs:DefringeGreenAmount="0" crs:DefringeGreenHueLo="40" crs:DefringeGreenHueHi="60" crs:Dehaze="0" crs:ToneMapStrength="0" crs:ConvertToGrayscale="False" crs:ToneCurveName="Linear" crs:ToneCurveName2012="Linear" crs:CameraProfile="Camera Standard" crs:LensProfileSetup="LensDefaults" crs:HasSettings="True" crs:CropTop="0.123462" crs:CropLeft="0.051557" crs:CropBottom="0.997774" crs:CropRight="0.928906" crs:CropAngle="-0.091621" crs:CropConstrainToWarp="0" crs:HasCrop="True" crs:AlreadyApplied="True" crs:RawFileName="DSC_0133-2.jpg"> <dc:creator> <rdf:Seq>

P.S. This process feels like visiting a very helpful dentist! Sorry it is taking so long - I'm VERY grateful for all the help.

• 32. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

I am wondering why this JPG isn’t called DSC_0133-3.jpg since you already had a -2, before, but at least this one is larger than 1MB and has CRS tags that indicate the settings used.

Can we see a side-by-side screenshot of your NEF and this JPG on your monitor?

• 33. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

It looks like resetting the LR Preferences file corrected the Export metadata selection issue. Unfortunately the most recent export file looks identical to the previous DSC_0133-2.jpg file.

Next logical step would be to create a new catalog and import some files with settings that have the issue into it.

1) Create a folder on your desktop called Test Images.

2) Select a few of the images with settings that exhibit the issue and then Export to: 'Test Images' folder with File Settings:

2) Create a new catalog and name it Test Catalog: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/create-catalogs.html

(NOTE: Do NOT make any changes to the Preferences settings in the new catalog.)

3) Import the Test Images folder with DNGs into the new Test Catalog.

4) Check them in the Library module by clicking on the image to launch in 1:1 view, wait for any preview building, and then compare at Fit view in The Develop & Library modules.

The whole process shouldn't take long.

• 34. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                          JPW1 Level 1

Here it is. (Sorry the file name confusion was caused by me deleting a previous JPEG). This JPEG is exactly the one I uploaded to Dropbox.

Compare_screenshot_original.jpg

• 35. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                            JPW1 Level 1

trshaner thanks. I've followed that procedure (although not quite sure what I'm testing) - did you mean I should export the JPEGs also as DNGs?

The result looks similar when I compare a few of the resulting pictures DNG-DNG.

Compare_screenshot2.jpg

I also tried an additional step which was to use the resulting DNG for this image (exported from the original NEF) to create a fresh JPEG (result below). But I'm not sure of the logic or what I'm testing!

Compare_screenshot.jpg

• 36. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

JPW1 wrote:

trshaner thanks. I've followed that procedure (although not quite sure what I'm testing) - did you mean I should export the JPEGs also as DNGs?

No. Here's the procedure with corrections to make it clearer:

1) Create a folder on your desktop called Test Images.

2) Select a few of the NEF image files with LR settings applied that exhibit the issue and Export them to: 'Test Images' folder with the File Settings shown below:

3) Create a new catalog and name it Test Catalog: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/create-catalogs.html

(NOTE: Do NOT make any changes to the LR Preferences settings in the new catalog.)

4) Import the Test Images folder with DNGs into the new Test Catalog.

5) Check them in the Library module by clicking on the image to launch in 1:1 view, wait for any preview building, and then compare at Fit view in The Develop & Library modules.

By exporting the NEFs to DNG format the LR Develop settings are embedded and "automatically" applied when imported into the new 'Test' catalog. This will help determine if your original catalog or previews folder are corrupted and causing the difference between Library module and  Develop module views.

• 37. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                                JPW1 Level 1

Thanks for the explanation. In fact I've not been seeing a difference between the Library module and the Develop module (unless I'm misunderstanding you again here). I've been seeing a difference between NEF files and JPEG files next to each other in the same module (whether Library or Develop).

Your prompt has made me think again about the differences. I'm looking closely at the Develop module view of NEF and their JPEGs. Most of the settings look identical but I think there are some differences. I'm just examining the PRESETS which are being applied to the NEF and the JPEG because I think they're different, and I think that might account for the brightness of the JPEGs.

I'll do a little more inspecting and report back...

• 38. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)

JPW1 wrote:

Your prompt has made me think again about the differences. I'm looking closely at the Develop module view of NEF and their JPEGs. Most of the settings look identical but I think there are some differences. I'm just examining the PRESETS which are being applied to the NEF and the JPEG because I think they're different, and I think that might account for the brightness of the JPEGs.

Check all of the Develop module panels with the Exported JPEG file selected. ALL of the Develop controls should be at their 0 default settings including Lens Corrections> Profile, which should be unchecked as below. This includes the Local  controls (Graduated filter, Radial Filter, Adjustment brush), which should not be applied. If you are applying a preset to the Exported JPEG file then it will look different than the NEF.

• 39. Re: Exporting RAW to JPEG results in lighter image (since LR6)
                                                                                    JPW1 Level 1

OK getting very warm I think - I wonder if you can help me understand this.

Below are two screenshots from the Develop module, one showing the NEF file and the other showing the JPEG.

The NEF file has had my custom preset applied to it during import (this is a new preset I created after getting this camera recently, trying to get the import develop settings about right). The history in the left hand panel shows that this '7200 Nikon Standard Basic' profile has been applied. For some reason the preset itself in the left hand panel is not highlighted, but when I visit some other pictures it is highlighted. You can see the effect of this preset on the right, in various settings (tone, presence, sharpening etc).

Then when I switch to the JPEG it is not clear that any additional 'preset' has been applied, but the develop settings on the right are a tiny bit different. All the tone and colour settings seem identical, but the detail settings are a bit different. I don't that accounts for the brightness - I've tried removing any further sharpening on the JPEG and the brightness issue remains.

(The Camera Calibration also says 'embedded' which presumably means it is taken from the NEF file?).

HOWEVER when I selected the JPEG image and in the left hand preset menu I selected 'ZEROED' this immediately resulted in the JPEG image looking as it should: Identical to the NEF.

Have I found the issue? Can you help me interpret what's going on and how to fix it consistently?

Here's the NEF original with its preset (LHS) and Develop settings (RHS).

NEF_original.jpg

Here's the JPEG export which is still too bright. (As before, it doesn't look very pronounced when viewed separately like this, but when flicking from one to the other the difference is clear).

You can see the 'detail' settings are a little different (RHS) but that doesn't account for the issue I think.

JPEG-export.jpg

However if I select ZEROED in the left hand presets menu (Lightroom General presets), the problem is fixed and the JPEG dims slightly - identical to the NEF.

1 2 Previous Next