10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2006 6:15 PM by kglad

bug? firefox doesn't load clips!

soyalexmanman
      Hi everybody...
      I have this terrible problem...
      I'm developing a site entirely made with flash (customer's request...), and I rely on flash's ability to loadClips (movies)...
      It already works on Internet Explorer, Opera, and other browsers, but with firefox... it is like it doesn't even send the request to the server to load the clip, since I put some listeners, and the onLoadStart() isn't called...

I'm using the MovieClipLoader object to make the loadings... so... does anyone have any idea on what's going on? any solution?

the site i'm making is: http://colegiosalesiano.org.mx , perhaps it's a problem of my ISP, i don't know... and you all must agree that I MUST enable the functionality of the flash on firefox

Hoping for an answer... wish you all a happy new year
        • 1. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          your firefox browser is using an older (before v. 7) flash player version?
          • 2. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
            soyalexmanman Level 1
            No, it has the newest version
            • 3. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
              copy and paste the code that fails.
              • 4. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                soyalexmanman Level 1
                it's a lot of code.... I have this Moviecliploader object, and a function loads the clip... like that...

listeners=new Object();
                listeners.onLoadStart=function(){
                //things that I should recognize it this is called
                }
                listeners.onLoadProgress=function(){
                //the progress report
                }
                listeners.onLoadComplete=function(){
                //completed
                }

mcl=new MovieClipLoader();
                mcl.addListener(listeners);

addSection=function(swf){
                mcl.loadClip(swf,mccontainer);
                }

So many buttons call the "addSection()", like...

button.onRelease=function(){
                _root.addSection("dir/sample.swf");
                }

Now, the code I pasted is not the used on the flash, but it works like that... on the Flash it doesn't
                presents any syntax error, so, it's not like that the posible error, but a logical planning, I guess... or
                simply the plugin for firefox doesn't works properly, or I'm missing something... dont know.
                • 5. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                  did you clear your firefox cache and test? is the target swf loading but the listener methods are not executing?
                  • 6. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                    soyalexmanman Level 1
                    Yeah, I have cleared the cache, and tried on many computers running the site with firefox, and the problem persist.

The listeners aren't even called because the loading doesn't even start, so the swf is not loaded anywhere, like the request to load the swf has never really been done.

if you can, try watching the incomplete site on IE, and then compare to what "happens" on firefox, perhaps it's a problem of the ISP.

http://colegiosalesiano.org.mx

the upper buttons call the function "addSection" explained above

btw , thanks for the efforts
                    • 7. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                      ok, i see the problem and confirm that your upper buttons work well with ie and fail with firefox.

however, i made a test file (www.gladstien.com/new/test.html) which uses an mcl to load the image of my jag. it works with both firefox and ie.

so, there's something more than just your use of an mcl that's causing the problem.

you can start removing parts of your fla to see when the loadClip starts working in firefox and narrow the cause of the problem.
                      • 8. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                        arunbe Level 1
                        HI soyalexmanman,

I can guess whats your problem.
                        I think you are using the absolute path for the image.
                        Please look into the image path. If you are using the "\" then i wont support with
                        Firebox, and support with IE. So, you have to change that "\" into "/" [front slash]..
                        • 9. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                          soyalexmanman Level 1

Hi...

Kglad: I checked all the code, looking for posible errors, made some fixes, but the problem was still there...
                          Arunbe: I'm using relative paths, although, I retyped the urls like "./example.swf", and the problem was still there... but...
                          later Finally found the solution...

For some reason, the "hotlink" of the server was causing the problem... so, what I can think of as the problem, is that firefox's plugin actually does the request as the localhost (user's host), and the hotlink denied the download, while IE, Opera, and others, recognize the request as made by the server... perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know, but by now, the problem was the "HotLink" service
                          • 10. Re: bug? firefox doesn't load clips!
                            well, i'm glad you figured that out.