9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 7:14 PM by Just Shoot Me

Removing JPG Sidecar Files

rklinge

I'm new to Lightroom, and just imported my first 700+ files into LR CC. My camera stored each photo in both RAW and JPG format, and without realizing it, when importing to Lightroom I imported all of the JPG's as sidecar files in addition to their associated RAW files. I'd like to remove all of these sidecar files, since the JPG's have no real use, and are each taking up an additional 10MB of hard drive space. Is there a way to do this? So far, I haven't found a solution.

(Note, I experimented with two photos, and deleted the JPG outside of Lightroom to see what happened. LR doesn't show an error, but still shows that the photo has a JPG sidecar file.)

• 1. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, I think that you can do this: Check the "treat jpegs as separate files" check box in Preferences then synchronise the folder. Then you ought to see the jpegs then filter by file type, slecte them and Delete..

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
            rklinge Level 1

Thanks, I see "treat jpgs as separate files" but this is under import. The photos are already imported. Is there another place to change this setting besides under import?

• 3. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files

As I said look in the Preferences:

Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 10.43.10 pm.png

• 4. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
                rklinge Level 1

Okay, I've got it. Even though I'm not re-importing, changing this setting in preferences under the "import options" and then synchronizing the folder doubled the count of photos in this folder, showing all the JPGs separately. I should be able to delete them all now that they're shown as unique files. Thank you very much for the assistance!! - Ron

• 5. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
                  TheBobbyMiller Level 1

I'd like to bring this topic up again.  I just realized I have a years worth of photos that have been converted to adobe .dng (raw files) and jpeg "sidecars".  I don't understand how there's no easy way to retroactively remove these side cars.  Considering there are years of forum posts about this, you would think Adobe would listen...

• 6. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files

It is not too difficult to remove the files.... converting to DNG of raw files has no impact on jpegs, they were there when you imported. As mentioned above there is a setting in Preferences that determines whether the jpegs are treated as "sidecar" (hidden) files or not.

The simple thing to do is to check the checkbox and then synchronise your top level folder or each separate folder. Deleting can be done after each import from the Previous Import collection.....

• 7. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
                      TheBobbyMiller Level 1

I understand what one has to do prior to importing, but what about a year of photos that have worthless jpeg side car files attached to them?  It would be nice if Lightroom had an option to remove them.

• 8. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files

I have explained above how you can do that currently. As Lightroom never has files "inside" the catalog just links to files on disk removal of files calls the OS to do that.

Current implementation is when jpegs are imported as sidecars they are treated like xmp files, delete the raw and you delete both. There is no option to delete only xmp files if they have been created either.

I see no priority for implementing such a request as there is little use/value and a solution is already available.

However you can make a feature request here at Photoshop.com which is the correct place for that.

• 9. Re: Removing JPG Sidecar Files
                          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sidecar files are XMP, FileName.XMP not JPGs.

If you have both the RAW files and the JPGs then you have a few options.

1) do as suggested and check the option to treat JPGs as separated files. They will then be displayed in LR. Then Filter by file type, JPG, select all and Remove Photos then Delete from disk.

2) Don't shoot both RAW and JPG.

3) during import don't import the JPG files.