12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 12:13 PM by Bill Gehrke

Performance for Premiere Pro

rolandp49106934

Hi, I'm looking for a notebook for VideoEditing with Premiere Pro. Is this performance enough?? ->- Intel Core i7-4710HQ 4x 2,5 GHz - 16 GB DDRIII RAM 1600MHz - nVIDIA GeForce GTX860M 2GB DDR5 VRAM - 128 GB mSATA SSD Drive - 1000 GB S-ATA 5400u/pm.....or is a S-ATA with 7200u/pm compulsory necassary...thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may want to ask here:

Hardware Forum

• 2. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The specs on that notebook look good except for the disk drive.  But what media are you editing?

Does the notebook have provisions for an internal second drive?

I am right now on a ASUS G750.  What I did was remove the 5400 rpm drive that came with it and cloned the OS/Applications to an SSD and then installed a second internal SSD and I am using a very high speed USB3 flash drive for my media and Project files.  For my 1080 AVCHD media I can have three timelines of video and it plays smoothly.  After editing I take the Project and media USB3 flash drive and export on my workstation (you can export on the laptop but it takes considerable longer) and then it is archived on the workstation.

• 3. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
              rolandp49106934 Level 1

Thank you very much for answering,

I will also work with 1080 AVCHD media and i will use the internal SSD Drine (128 Gbyte) for the PremiereSoftware + temp. Renderfiles and an external SSD Drive (over USB 3.0) to export the Films.

Do you think it will works in this konstallation ?

Nice Day

Roland

• 4. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
                rolandp49106934 Level 1

Amendment statement:

The uncut original AVCHD mediafiles will also be on the external SSD Drive.

• 5. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you are going to use the new lumetri color panel, you may want to look for something with a gtx 970m, if not, still might want to at least get a gtx 965m.

• 6. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro

Roland,

Make sure you test the read and write performance of the external USB3 drive.  There are good USB3 performance devices and lousy devices..  Great read performance would be 300 MB/second and there are lousy USB3 devices that will give you only 30 MB/second or less.

What you need is a fast read capability of your Adobe "Media Cache", "Media Cache Files" and "Preview Files", you do not want these on the lousy 5400 rpm disk drive.  These files continue to accumulate and you should develop good housekeeping habits of removing these files regularly especially as you change projects..  They will regenerate if you reopen an older project.

In the long run you should plan on cloning your OS and applications to an SSD and getting rid of that 5400 rpm drive completely out of the system and installing another larger SSD

Bill

• 7. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
                      Chase Chick Level 1

Unless there is a specific reason for getting a laptop, why not build yourself a nice desktop and get double the performance for half the price?  The cost of mobility is still sky high.

• 8. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
                        Chase Chick Level 1

Could you give recommendation on a good speed usb 3.0 external?

• 9. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro

Right now I have a Patriot Supersonic Magnum.128 GB.  If you look at some of the reviews on this device it does not rate well as the device under this name was introduced about 4 years ago and was rated as ready to retire.  And if you look at this result from a synthetic benchmark I would have to agree,

http://cache.futurelooks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/patriotusb-13-500x331.jpg

Here is the benchmark I have just run on it:

Apparently Patriot has made a major design change on the current ones.

I have had just the opposite experience with a PNY device where I got three great ones and then PNY changed the design and was able to reduce the price significantly and the next devices I ordered were terrible performers.  So what ever you get test it.

With our PPBM Disk I/O test I got a score of 118 seconds for the AVI export.  That is a real application write rate of 318 MB/second which is amazing for a USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

• 10. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro
                            JFPhoton Level 3

....if you need a little more capacity and have the funds, this new Samsung external SSD performs like an INTERNAL SSD using the usb 3 port, if you have Windows 8.1......it is the Samsung T1, available up to 1 TB. Below are the test results given by Anandtech, this is AMAZING for USB 3...i don't know how they are doing it,but, they are !

• 11. Re: Performance for Premiere Pro

Thanks for that update JFPhoton.  I had been looking at the Samsung T1 but had not yet seen any real test data.  I just ordered one to test out for myself and see our PPBM Disk I/O write speed test performance.