6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 6:38 AM by trshaner

I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog

SwampYankee456 Level 1

Hi, I recently switched camera lines.  I've backed up all my photos in a couple of places.  I am running out of hard drive space on my laptop.  I'd like to remove all the CR2 files from the catalog and from the disk.  It would be great if my catalog could include both my occasionally plugged in portable hard drive and my laptop drive, but I have not figured that out.  so, how to remove the .CR2 files?

thanks

• 1. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can move some of the files to your portable drive. It's a common practive to have the photos on removable drives and attach the drives as needed.

It's important to do the moving from within Lightroom, so Lightroom will not lose track/connection to the files.

In the library, you see all your drives and if they are available or not. You can drag and drop a complete folder to another location. LR will move the files and keep the catalog updated on the new location. I would not recommend to remove/delete any of the files because you will then lose everything you have done with these files, including your edits.

• 2. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SwampYankee456 wrote:

I'd like to remove all the CR2 files from the catalog and from the disk.

As already mentioned if you remove files form LR you will lose all of your work done in LR. In addition if you have JPEG or TIFF copies of these image files in the LR catalog when you move the CR2 files to an external drive they will become separated. These original CR2 raw files are your "negatives," which you need to make prints, slideshows, books, postings to the web and social media, etc.

To prevent this from happening the simplest solution is to move ALL files (CR2, JPEG, TIFF, videos, etc.) associated with the old camera(s) to the external drive. This will leave just the folders containing image files from the new camera(s) on your laptop's internal drive. When you want to access the old image files simply connect the external drive.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/how-to-copy-files-to-an-externa l-hard-drive-in-lightroom/

There is a 2nd option using Smart Previews available in LR5 and later, which may be useful if your Laptop HDD is small:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/lightroom-smart-previews.html

• 3. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog
              SwampYankee456 Level 1

Thanks.  I am using a mac but the hard drive is formatted for Windows.  The Mac sees it and I can add a folder via Lightroom but Lightroom just wants to import from the drive.  The external drive does not show up as a folder in Lightroom.

thanks

• 4. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog

SwampYankee456 wrote:

Thanks.  I am using a mac but the hard drive is formatted for Windows

Why? What drive formating are you using (Fat32, NTFS, exFAT)? Does the external drive also need to be used on a PC?

SwampYankee456 wrote:

Thanks.  I am using a mac but the hard drive is formatted for Windows.  The Mac sees it and I can add a folder via Lightroom but Lightroom just wants to import from the drive.  The external drive does not show up as a folder in Lightroom.

thanks

These are contradictory statements.....what do you actually mean? If the drive is formatted Fat32 then your Mac can "read" the files on the external drive, but Lightroom will not be able to "write" files to it.

• 5. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog
                  SwampYankee456 Level 1

I'm kind of new to Macs but they treat drive formatting differently for MAC & PC.  For example I can read files from the PC formatted drive on the MAC but the MAC will not use it for backups with Time Machine unless it's formatting in Mac OS format.  I can't really reformat it as it has too many photos on it that only exist on that drive and in the cloud

• 6. Re: I want to remove all .cr2 files from my catalog

If the external drive is NTFS format you can use Tuxera software to enable Write capability under Mac OS X:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

...or buy a new drive, format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and transfer the files on the current drive. Once completed you can follow my suggestion in reply #2 above.