3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 8:01 PM by QR CD 0.1

convert images to virtual copies in a collection

QR CD 0.1

As you create collections in LR5+ you are creating a pointer to the master file. If you make changes to images in a collections you are changing the master. To avoids this can you convert images in a collection to a virtual copies which will n virtual copy

• 1. Re: convert images to virtual copies in a collection
          richardplondon Level 4

I'm not sure if that was a question? In case it was...

You cannot directly turn (convert) an image inside a Collection, into a virtual copy. Either a master or a virtual copy (or both) can be added to a collection. There is a command to "switch" Master and Copy status for a given image version - but if you did that to such an image version inside a Collection, you would also be doing the same thing to the image version outside the Collection, as well.

If Master images have been added to a Collection, it is possible to then make virtual copies of those - which, if this is carried out when working "inside" the Collection, will cause membership of (just) that particular collection, to then be inherited by those new virtual copies. The master images could then be removed from the collection, leaving only the copies in place. These copies would of course also be seen, alongside their masters, when the relevant image folder was viewed.

As part of creating a brand new Collection, there is an option to add the currently highlighted images to that. Underneath this, is an option to have this happen in the form of new virtual copies - instead of adding the masters of these images to the Collection. Was this what you were referring to in the OP?

• 2. Re: convert images to virtual copies in a collection
            QR CD 0.1 Level 1

Thank you Richard for your reply, This was my suspect, I could not find any direct support in Adobe docs.

Regards, Jerry Sutherlin

• 3. Re: convert images to virtual copies in a collection
              QR CD 0.1 Level 1

Yes, I will be creating virtual copies for collections, thank you for the insight.