3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 7:30 PM by A.T. Romano

How to delete a file of existing project from the PREL 12 editor?

erics98459358

I started a new project and saved it under a wrong name or did something wrong. I started again a new one. How to remove the previous from users\....\documents\Adove\Pre...\12\my project.prel ?

• 1. Re: How to delete a file of existing project from the PREL 12 editor?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

erics

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 12? Some version of Windows?

What is the name of your new project? What is the name of the project that you want to delete?

At this point, do you have one or two project.prel files in the 12.0 Folder in the path that you gave?

You may have overwritten the old when you created the new. I do not want you deleting "my project.prel" in the 12.0 if it is really your new project.

To double check, right click the "my project.prel" in the 12.0 Folder, select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 12. What opens, the old or new project?

Let us start here and then, as indicated, move on to be sure that you have removed the old project file (.prel) and all of its associated project files. Under no conditions delete the source files that you imported into the project for editing and export. We will talk about that next.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...if you have not already, please update 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

• 2. Re: How to delete a file of existing project from the PREL 12 editor?
            erics98459358 Level 1

Dear A.T.Romano,

To answer your question, I have a MAC.

When going Help Menu> updates, it says that my 12 version is up-to-date.

I have several projects as .prel files: Lessons from “Classroom in a book” for PREL 12 (I do not want to delete them now), a couple of my finished projects (which I finished, uploaded on hard-drive and on DVD and prefer to delete from .prel) and a couple of new attempts.

One if those two includes “my project.prel” file, which is an empty file. I decided to check the setting of PREL, went File>New>Project (Expert view) and then clicked OK. I did not import there a single clip. But now when I go to File>Open Recent, I see it (my project.prel) in the list of my files in PREL. How to eliminate this useless file as well as other files of completed projects in the PREL folder?

I have additional question to you about setting. I am going to use in my new project video clips shot in 2008, as I think, in DV NTSC format. The tutorial tells me that, when I start a new project, Adobe PREL automatically presets the right setting format corresponding to format of the first clip I imported. And if this automatic setting is right or optimal I should not see the orange line above content in the timeline and should see no letterboxes. I dragged into the timeline only the single clip (still one clip in the project) and expected that the program will find a preset that would give me optimal setting. There really were no letterboxes, but the orange line still appeared. I had to render to eliminate it. Could you comment? Is something wrong with the setting?

Thank you,

Eric

• 3. Re: How to delete a file of existing project from the PREL 12 editor?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Thanks for the follow up with additional information.

When you start a new project, either you (manually) before you import the source video in the project or the project (automatically) needs to set a project preset to match the properties of the source media.  The project does the automatic set based on the properties of the first file drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. And, if it cannot analyze the file correctly, it does not give you the closest fit, rather it gives you its default 1080i. You can confirm what the project has set automatically by going to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and looking at the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out). If the project preset is not correct, then you start a new project and set the project preset manually using File Menu/New/Project. The scheme for doing this is

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

In your setting of the project preset manually, be sure to know the properties of your source media. For example, you say that you have DV NTSC format. Is that standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9? If 4:3, then  you will set for NTSC DV Standard, and, if 16:9, then NTSC DV Widescreen. Keep 16:9 project settings with 16:9 export settings - 4:3 project settings with 4:3 export settings.

If there is agreement between the video properties and the project settings, there should be no colored line over that Timeline content when you drag the file to the Timeline for the first time. That no colored line is not forever. Once you start editing the file, then the Timeline rendering concept comes in...orange line over content means Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview...green means no Timeline rendering needed or available...you already have the best possible preview.

I will work on the project prel deletion in the next post.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR