5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 7:40 AM by trshaner

How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15

Damian W

Help!  Can someone please tell me how to delete the camera calibration profile I created in Lightroom CC using the X-rite ColorChecker software?  I have exhausted my resources looking for info online and have had no luck.  I would appreciate any help, thank you.

• 1. Re: How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15
          richardplondon Level 4

I haven't yet tried making these (though I do use the Passport). But I have added other kinds of user camera profile to LR.

So I would suggest trying the following: in LR Preferences, Presets tab, click on the button "Show Lightroom Presets Folder..."

A file browser window opens with the location for all LR's user defined presets (but not the built-in ones) highlighted.

User made Camera Profiles are not inside this "Lightroom" folder - but they are inside another one called "CameraRaw", located within the same parent folder.

Inside "CameraRaw" is a subfolder "Camera Profiles". Both lens profiling and camera calibration profiling, are shared in common across both LR and ACR/PS/Bridge - which for one thing, ensures that the same selections are always automatically supported whenever images are passed between these two.

If the relevant profile file is there (.dcp filetype) I would suggest in the first instance: rename to a different file extension (or delete it to Recycle / Trashcan in the knowledge that you can always get it back again - just in case this is not the profile you thought it was). Then after restarting LR, see whether that profile has now gone from your list of available choices in Develop.

Alternatively: the presence of an installed camera profile does not mean that you have to use it! It may be simply a matter of changing the LR defaults, and settings of existing images, so that a different chosen profile is used instead.

• 2. Re: How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Renaming OR removing  CCPP camera profiles will cause all image files assigned the CCPP profile to revert to Adobe Standard and may look different (tone, color, and white balance). If the CCPP file has not been used or has been removed from all images then go ahead and delete it. I updated my CCPP files and deleted the old ones only to find this out the hard way! Now I keep every single CCPP and rename new CCPP profiles so they can be clearly identified from the old profiles.

The X-Rite DNG Profile Manager is a better tool for removing or renaming CCPP camera profiles. Just remember that removing or renaming a custom camera profile will cause all image files assigned that profile to revert to Adobe Standard and may require re-editing the images.

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1257&Action=Support&SoftwareID=1345

• 3. Re: How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15
              craigwallphoto

Thanks trshaner, I'm also trying to find a solution to this problem.

I had a look at the Camera Profiles folder that you mapped the path to & can only find all the standard camera profiles that come with LR CC, not the ones I've created through exporting the profile through Colour Checker Passport.  Perhaps they are kept somewhere else?

This is the profile list I'm trying to manage:

Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 1.07.10 pm.png  Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 1.07.21 pm.png

• 4. Re: How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15
                craigwallphoto Level 1

trshaner.... sorry, ignore my last message.  I see the dng profile manager will do the job for me.  Its a shame that by deleting the profile it detaches itself from the image file.  I guess the way to work around it is to export the colour corrected file as a tiff so the profile is embedded.  thanks again.

• 5. Re: How to delete custom camera calibration profile in LR CC15
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ColorChecker Passort (CCPP) and other "custom" camera profiles are installed in a separate folder location away from the Adobe supplied profiles. You'll find them here:

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

craigwallphoto wrote:

Its a shame that by deleting the profile it detaches itself from the image file.  I guess the way to work around it is to export the colour corrected file as a tiff so the profile is embedded.  thanks again.

Camera profiles are only used with raw image files to allow processing them in LR or other raw editor. LR never modifies the raw image file data and the camera profile is not embedded into it (except DNGs). The LR catalog contains your editing information including the camera profile. If you remove a specific CCPP camera profile assigned to an image the LR catalog database detects it is "missing" and automatically assigns the "default" Adobe Standard profile. As explained this can cause the image to take on a slightly different tone, color, and white balance.

Why do you want to delete these custom camera profiles? If you updated a camera profile for a specific shooting condition (i.e. Sunny Daylight) simply use the same name with a date stamp (20150629). This way you can use the new profile with newly imported images and update the old files when and if you ever edit them again. If you want to "find" and update ALL of the image files with a specific camera profile I can recommend 'Any Filter' by John Ellis. It's a great plugin for searching your image catalog for very specific image edits:

http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfilter.htm

Here's an Any Filter search filter I created to find image files a specific camera profile: