Yes! Thank you so much (For some reason I had to create a new document to make the style work)
Spent so many hours on this issue, very thankful for your help.
I have opened CC gone to apps and my menu does not include a menu that allows me to change language preferences. I have changed my language in my profile to see if that helps but to nothing! Spent the last 2 days trying to find a way to download MENA version of InDesign. I now have 2017 but still no way to work with the Arabic text I have.
The basic English version InDesign will handle RTL text just fine. The only problem is there is no actual menu option to tell ID that text is RTL. So I went into an old job I did on an old machine with arabic InDesign, grabbed a basic RTL style, and dragged it off into a simple right to left snippet that I keep handy. I don't have to do very much RTL, but when I do, I can just grab that snippet and base all my syles off of it.
I just looked a little closer at the exact bits that define text as RTL and came up with this simple way to create your own snippet with a basic Right to Left paragraph style:
- Make a new document.
- Make a small text box.
- Type something in it.
- Make a new paragraph style called "Right to Left" using a font that supports arabic (Arial, for example) and apply it to that text.
- Drag that textbox to your desktop to create an IDMS (InDesign Snippet) file.
- Open that file in a text editor.
- Find the line towards the top that starts <ParagraphStyle Self="ParagraphStyle/Right To Left" ... (this is the line that defines all the aspects of your paragraph style)
- At the end of that line, add these tags inside the closing ">" symbol: Composer="HL Composer Optyca" Justification="RightAlign" ParagraphDirection="RightToLeftDirection" (In addition to setting the text direction to RTL, this also modifies that style to turn on the World Ready Paragraph Composer and right align the paragraph)
- Save and close.
Now, when you need to create some RTL text in regular InDesign, just drag that snippet into your doc and it will add the basic Right to Left paragraph style on which you can base all your more complex RTL styles!