4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 1:52 PM by operaflute

Catalog File Path glitch when moving to new computer

operaflute Level 1

Hello!

I recently simultaneously moved from LR3 to LR CC 2015 and moved to a new laptop with Windows 8.1. I've got a glitch in the file paths that I think happened because of the computer switch, not the version switch or OS switch.

On my old laptop, my photos were stored as follows:

C:\Users/name/Pictures/Specific Folder

On my new laptop they are stored as follows

C:\Users/Name/Pictures/Specific Folder  (note the change in capitalization in "Name")

When I mouse over folders in LR the old path is shown, even though the photos are actually stored in the new, capitalized file path.  When I import anything new or edit an existing photo in Photoshop, LR puts the new photos in a different directory using the new file path. Consequently, the catalog may show two different folders for photos that are, in reality, stored in the same folder.  In other words, the LR hierarchy is not reflecting reality.

How do I safely tell LR of the correct (capitalized) file path for all the older photos without losing my edit history?  (Step one, back up catalog. That much I know!)

(Hope this makes sense)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Catalog File Path glitch when moving to new computer
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You've tripped over a very old LR bug that Adobe has never bothered to fix -- LR doesn't properly handle case-insensitive file paths (i.e. Windows and Mac paths).  To fix this, first backup your catalog (as you know).  Then in the Folders panel, right-click a top-level folder and select Show Parent Folder.  Keep doing that until you see "users" (any case) at the top level.  Then follow the steps described here: Re: Importing Problem.

• 2. Re: Catalog File Path glitch when moving to new computer
            operaflute Level 1

Do you mean these steps?

Thank you!

1. Backup your catalog, just in case something wrong.

2. Create a dummy (i.e. new but empty) folder at the root of your MacintoshHD drive, call it something like "Dummy Images".

3. In the Lightroom Folders Panel right/ctrl-click on "My Lightroom Images" and in the resulting context menu select "Update Folder Location". A file browser window will open, use this to navigate to and select the "Dummy Images" folder. Don't be alarmed when "My Lightroom Images" disappears from the panel to be replaced by "Dummy Images", and all the sub-folders will have the "?" mark to indicate they're missing.

4. Next, right/ctrl-click on "Dummy Images" and again select "Update Folder Location".This time browse to and select the "MY LIGHTROOM IMAGES" folder, and if all goes to plan you should now see everything back as it should be, with "2014 Photographs" showing with the other year sub-folders. One thing to note, there MAY be a "Merge" warning message, i.e. along the lines of "This folder already exists in the catalog, do you want to merge", if so choose "Merge".

• 3. Re: Catalog File Path glitch when moving to new computer
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Right.  Substitute your folder "Name" for "My Lightroom Images" in those steps.

• 4. Re: Catalog File Path glitch when moving to new computer
                operaflute Level 1

Thanks for this. I need a small respite from doing battle with my computer, but hope to give it a try this week!