9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 10:48 AM by dissidently

HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape

dissidently Level 1

Create a new shape layer.

Create a rectangle.

Size rectangle to desired size...

Now, how do I drag out a guideline and snap it to an edge or midpoint of this rectangle shape?

All snaps are on, nothing snaps.

Holding down modifiers as I drag the guides also doesn't seem to help.

• 1. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Guides don't snap, only layers.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
            dissidently Level 1

And that's a feature, right?

Todd K nods vigourously. "Yes, that's how we intended it, cause we have no idea how people might use guidelines..."

• 3. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to see something implemented, file a feature request.

• 4. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                dissidently Level 1

How often has that been successful? For whom? To do what?

How many feature requests have been filed for this same feature already?

Why is it on me to inform Adobe of the obvious and waste my time?

And do you have these phrases in a notepad file ready to copy-paste on everything that looks like disquiet and discontent?

• 5. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dissidently wrote:

And do you have these phrases in a notepad file ready to copy-paste on everything that looks like disquiet and discontent?

Haha! I actually do have the bug report/feature request form in a notepad file for quick pasting, because I believe both bug reports and feature requests are extremely valuable. Adobe folks can't read every forum post in a user-to-user forum like this, but they DO see every bug report and feature request. And it's important that they hear our voices.

dissidently wrote:

How often has that been successful? For whom? To do what?

I have seen a number of things specifically introduced due to feature requests! For example, AE's current rewrite is in response to user feedback. The Copy With Property Links feature, rapidly followed in the next version with the Copy With Relative Property Links were both a direct result of feature requests. Compositing options on each effect? Feature request. Better expression error handling? Feature request. The new keying tools? Feature request. Expression controls? Feature request.

MOST of the changes we see in AE are due to feature requests.

dissidently wrote:

How many feature requests have been filed for this same feature already?

I don't know; I don't work for Adobe, but probably less than you'd think.

dissidently wrote:

Why is it on me to inform Adobe of the obvious and waste my time?

Some things that seem obvious to us (designers/artists/etc.) may not be so clear to the folks working at Adobe as programmers, so feature requests from the community are vital! I think snapping guides to things would be useful and that's why I suggested the feature request.

• 6. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                    dissidently Level 1

If you don't work for Adobe, and find this a potentially useful feature, and believe in the feature request process, why don't YOU file a feature request?

While you're at it, file a feature request for a transparent feature request feature.

• 7. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Feature request forms are easy to find with a google search. Developing software for Adobe has always been a democratic process. Customer feedback is looked at and they try and implement as many features as they can. It's unreasonable to expect updates and feature requests to be instantaneous and free. I give away tens of thousands of dollars worth of free support annually on this and other forums. So do many non-employee contributors to this forum like Szalam. I get asked for free private lessons all the time because the entitlement mentality that is preached by so many and believed by so many has given way too many people the mistaken idea that everything should be free.

If you have a feature request to make then make it. If all you want to do is complain and be sarcastic don't expect much help.

I'll still give you some help. You can use the info panel to precisely position guides by simply dragging, You can create an extra layer in Illustrator then draw your guides with a single point stroke and use that layer as a snap to object in AE.  You can set snap to grid on and use that for positioning. You can put all of your guides on a separate layer inside Illustrator, release the guides, set the stroke to 1 point or 1 pixel and import your AI file and snap anything to those guide layers in AE. I do that all the time and it even works for odd shapes and diagonals. I set the layer to a guide layer in AE and it works all the time. I do that all the time for animated infographics. There are dozens of workarounds to precisely layout your graphics. In more than 20 years of using AE i've never found a need to snap a guide to a layer, I snap a layer to a guide.

If you really want that feature then make a request and carefully word the request so the developers can understand your idea. If enough people want the same  or similar thing then the AE team will put it in the list with the other features requests and work on a plan to implement it. Personally I've seen dozens of my feature requests implemented in one form or another and all it cost me was a little time, but it wasn't free.

• 8. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                        dissidently Level 1

% of things Adobe does is free.

% of things does is transparent.

% of things does is democratic.

<> 10%?

This forum isn't even free of obfuscation, misdirection, deletion and other nonsense.

Rick, you're an exception. A freak of nature, and good hearted man of enormous talent and understanding.

Being empathetic to a corporation and its policies is a complete waste of all that is you.

• 9. Re: HOWTO: Snap a Guideline to a Shape
                          dissidently Level 1

"If you really want that feature then make a request and carefully word the request so the developers can understand your idea. If enough people want the same  or similar thing then the AE team will put it in the list with the other features requests and work on a plan to implement it. Personally I've seen dozens of my feature requests implemented in one form or another and all it cost me was a little time, but it wasn't free."

There's no need to ask for something like this. Only a need to shame and admonish anyone that thinks it shouldn't have been part of AE the moment they introduced shapes and guidelines. It's utterly ridiculous to have guides that don't snap to the entities and components inherent to creativity in a creative application.

Everyone understands that. You're deflecting, needlessly.