11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 1:09 PM by JoeKostoss

Need help with basic printing

Blueridger

Friends,

I'm a new user to LR CC and have what I am sure is a basic question.  I'm trying to print a 4x6 picture.  I cropped the image I want to 4x6 and went to the print module and selected the 4x6 preset.  I see a preview that has huge borders that, even after manual adjustment, come out too large and crooked.  What am I doing wrong?  I checked the tutorials but I didn't find them helpful.

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Need help with basic printing
          JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

The large borders means that you have selected a paper size much larger than 4x6, probably the default size of 8.5x11.  Click "Page Setup" (Lower left corner of the screen) and select 4x6 paper.

In what way did it come out crooked?

• 2. Re: Need help with basic printing
            Blueridger Level 1

That's helpful. How do I change the default size?  Every time I go to page set-up the paper size defaults to 8-1/2 by 11.

As for the crooked, it looks like it went through my printer crooked, but several copies came out with the image skewed within the borders, so I'm skeptical of a printer problem.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

• 3. Re: Need help with basic printing
              SausalitoDog Level 2

When you are in the Print Module, in the lower left there are two boxes:  Printer Setup and Printer Settings. Before you print  be sure that you check these settings and the paper size will then reflect the size you want.

Tom

• 4. Re: Need help with basic printing
                Blueridger Level 1

I've done that.  What I can't do is get a standard border on the prints. The border is always really big, despite my efforts to specify a "regular" border.

Steve

• 5. Re: Need help with basic printing

In the settings slot, click to get the drop down menu; choose Save as Default.

Screenshot 2015-06-29 06.48.53.png

• 6. Re: Need help with basic printing

Blueridger wrote:..As for the crooked, it looks like it went through my printer crooked, but several copies came out with the image skewed within the borders, so I'm skeptical of a printer problem.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

A printer feed problem is the most likely cause.  You can try cleaning the feed rollers.

• 7. Re: Need help with basic printing

Blueridger wrote:

I've done that.  What I can't do is get a standard border on the prints. The border is always really big, despite my efforts to specify a "regular" border.

Steve

After setting up what you want for the first time, save it as a user preset.

• 8. Re: Need help with basic printing
                        SausalitoDog Level 2

Joe-

Let's be sure we are talking about the same thing.

By "border" do you mean the unprinted area on the paper around the image file itself? Or do you mean the "stroke border" printed at the edge of the image?

If you have the paper size right, go to the Print module>Layout and select the margin size you prefer.

If you are talking about the printed Stroke Border, go to Print>ImageSettings and check or uncheck the Stroke Border box and set the size of the border you want.

Tom

• 9. Re: Need help with basic printing
                          Blueridger Level 1

Good distinction.  What I mean is the blank area surrounding the image, not

the stroke border.  I see in the module an option to modify the border size

but zero is not an option (for borderless prints).  Even when I reduce the

border size to 0.10, which is the smallest the program will accept, the

border is still quite laarge.

I'm confident that I'm missing something simple, I just can't figure out

what it is.

Steve

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM, SausalitoDog <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: Need help with basic printing
                            SausalitoDog Level 2

Steve-

I know stuff like this can make you CRAZY :-)

The only other thing I see that might affect it from LR is to set the margins to the paper size and then see that the aspect ratio of your image is the same size.

If this isn't it, the problem is possibly some other setting in your print driver. I have an Epson 4900 that does funny things when you change templates - it seems that I have to really check the epson settings carefully for some template changes and not others. I'm tempted to delete all of my templates and create new ones but I usually need my fix immediately so I don't get to that. Somehow or other you have to start from completely fresh settings..both printer and LR to get this right. And since it sounds like you've gone through pretty much everything in LR I would go back to the printer driver - maybe reinstall it - and see what you can find there to tinker with.

Good luck,

Tom

• 11. Re: Need help with basic printing

First, make sure your printer is capable of borderless printing on a 4x6 sheet of paper; not all printers are.  In "Page Setup" you may have to create a custom paper size at 4x6 and set the borders to zero in that setup in order to have that option in the Print Module.