9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 7:17 AM by Jeff Almasol

"?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error

GoofyMuse

I am using Surface Pro3 with Character Animator.  I tried to replace the head and the body of the nutcracker girl which appears as my default character and I get this error:  "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error.

My first question is how to I get around that error?  My 2nd question is, how can I just open a new character file without going through the "New Puppet In Illustrator/Photoshop" option?  I am asking this 2nd question because every time I try to replace anything in the character file, I get the error above.  When I click on "New Puppet in Illustrator" again, it keeps creating the next sequential My Illustrator Puppet file.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error
          GoofyMuse Level 1

I tried to replace some body elements and head features in the My Illustrator Puppet.ai file and as soon as I open the file, I get the same error.

• 2. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error
            Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

What version of Photoshop/Illustrator are you using? Is it CC 2014 or CC 2015, or some earlier version? If an earlier version, can you send us a download link to your modified file?

Also, what's the full file path for your project folder?

What's your OS version and OS language?

• 3. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error
              danjfrancis

I received the same error, it seemed to be on a loop so I had to use Task Manager to exit the program.

After doing that I decided to move my project into the default Character Animator folder (I had originally designated my own folder on a different drive).  Closed out Illustrator & re-opened Character Animator and the updates I made were there and the error went away.  I further created a new project in a different folder location again, and as soon as I made any modifications I received an onslaught of errors.  I closed everything out, moved back to Adobe's default location & the errors went away.

It seems that in the Preview version all files MUST be in the default file location.  I also always open the program as an administrator on windows, and the errors have seemed to not be as frequent.  Not sure if this will solve your issue, but it was the work around I used.  I however am not using Surface Pro3, so there may be something additional in your situation.

• 4. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error

Hi Dan,

What is the full file path to the project folder when it causes this error? (e.g., C:\my\path\to the\Ch projects\)

Does that path include any accented/Unicode characters or dashes/underscores?

You shouldn't need to run the program as administrator. What version of Windows do you use (as shown in the System control panel -- if on Windows 7, click Start, right-click Computer, then choose Properties)?

Also, what is the OS language (English, other)?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error
                  danjfrancis Level 1

Hi Jeff, thanks for the fast reply.

My path is E:\Dropbox\Adobe Character Animator\Test\Character Animator Project - Test, so yes, it does have a dash it in.  I will try again without using the dash as from your answer perhaps that is the issue.

I am using Windows 8.1 Language English.

Today was the first day of experimenting with the program, and I am very excited with it so far.  As an animator, I love new tools when they have a real world purpose like this seems to so far.  Very glad to be getting going with it as it is fine tuned.  I am leaving town for a couple weeks and have printed the documentation with the file structure and plan to create a character from scratch & see what I can do with it when I get back.

Thanks again for the quick reply and info on not using dashes or underscores.  I use the underscore a LOT in naming conventions as a separator so I will be sure not to do so with Character Animator at this time.

Blessings!

• 6. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error

Hmm, it might not be the dash, but it being in your Dropbox-synced folder? If you turn off Dropbox sync, does the problem go away? If so, it's possibly due to Character creating/updating a bunch of temp files in its project folder as part of normal operation, and maybe Dropbox sync is keeping a lock on it when Character wants to update it. Let us know if that works around the problem.

Thanks for kind words.

• 7. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error

Did temporarily disabling Dropbox (or similar backup) sync for the folder that contains the Character project work around the problem?

• 8. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error
                        danjfrancis Level 1

Yes, that did resolve the issue.

Sorry for the late response, once I got back into town life was hectic catching back up.  I see today there is an update taking us to preview 2... can't wait to play with it some more.  Thanks again for your assistance in my situation.

• 9. Re: "?:0 att3empt to index a nil value" Error

OK, thanks for the confirmation. We have it as a task to investigate a solution for this issue.