2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 4:15 AM by jvc-mv

What are the best PE9 project settings for making the best quality 720 x 480 DVD from a 1440 x 1080 video

jvc-mv

Hello, 

Using a JVC Everio GZ HD3U shot in 1440 DBR, very fine, max quality mode, & cam uses the .TOD file format.  When that .TOD file is uploaded/dropped in PE9 to edit, the .TOD file properties are then: picture size 1440 x 1080, 29.97 fps, mpeg movie, pixel depth 32, pixel aspect ratio 1.3333.  Project settings would be: edit mode= HDV 1080i, frame= 1440 x 1080, pixel aspect ratio= HD anamorphic 1080 1.333, upper field first, capture= HDV, render max. depth, optimize stills.  (The popup of asking to match the TOD file to proper settings di not show up).

-Even though blu-ray is not the same as a regular DVD, still what should be the best Premiere Elements 9 project presets & preferences for this particular file, in order to make the best possible quality non-blu-ray regular DVD?

-And what should be selected in either project or burn settings, to make the DVD play wide-screen on wide-screen TVs w/ no black bars, and also fill the whole screen on regular 4:3 TVs-no black bars, both sized automatically w/o having to adjust TV screen preferences?  For some reason when HDV 1080i 30 is selected in the beginning for the project settings where it says anomorphic, & when burned to a DVD, regardless if I select NTSC widescreen or the regular NTSC DVD selection at the share/burn menu, it does not fill the whole screen on a 4:3 regular square TV automatically on the finished DVD. 

-What would be causing diagonal lines to appear in certain areas of the finished DVD (for example, the tops of shiney railroad tracks on the DVD makes diagonal lines down the whole rail, also shown in the middle of the picture w/ certain orange colors, & along the horizontal handrails on moving locomotives.  These appear whether on an older 4:3 tube monitor, on the computer, or on a newer flat screen TV (seems to possibly show up on the camcorder's preview screen as well- but hard to really tell since that screen is very small).  Seems the best settings in Field Order (when right click the clip in timeline mode) is nothing selected.  Even tried selecting Flicker Removal and it makes it worse.

I have noticed when selecting starting project preferences of:  edit mode= DSLR, 1080p (not 1080i), 1920 x 1080, square pixels (1.0), Progressive Scan, 29.97 fps, Capture Format HDV, & Max Bit Depth check marked in Video Render all seems to help smooth those slanted lines down the railroad tracks much better.  (By the way- when I dropped the same video TOD clip into PE w/ this different project & settings of DSLR, it showed the popup asking to change to match the video to proper settings- I clicked no).  I also noticed when selecting these project settings, it seems to make the screen captured pic taken from this same clip as a .bmp not have jagged edges or horizontal lines as much if at all, as compared to the original settings stated above. 

Would that DSLR setting be ok for DVDs played on most TVs out there?   If that DSLR setting made it look better, what actual setting inside there may have caused the better change?

Would still like to know the best possible project settings suggested for DVD besides the DSLR that I happened to try.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: What are the best PE9 project settings for making the best quality 720 x 480 DVD from a 1440 x 1080 video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jvc mv

Sorry for the delay. Detours along the way in thread traffic in my email notifications.

From all that has been written, all points to you facing interlace issues related to an interlaced video source. Most players (computer and DVD player) would be expected to deinterlace the exported interlaced end product for display.

If your video source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, then your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project preset should be either

If the JVC TOD video is your only Timeline content

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i 30 (60i)

or

If you have other video formats besides the JVC TOD video on that Timeline destined for burn to, then

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

and once the file is on the Timeline, then right click it, select Field Options from the pop up menu, and then select Reverse Field Dominance in the Field Options dialog. Do that for each of the JVC video TOD files. Instead of Reverse Field Dominance in Field Options, you could explore Always Deinterlace.

The burn to DVD disc for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is going to be

Disc

DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

The playback of this disc is governed by the TV DVD player's or standalone DVD player's settings. If you have a TV DVD player which offers only 4:3 and no opportunity to set to another display format, then I see that as a "it is what it is" situation.

All the above is by the "book". If you have devised a way to get a better result, then go with what you have put together.

An alternative possibility(idea) might be to import the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 into a 9.0/9.0.1 new project set for

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

and then export it using

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone

iPod and iPhone - High Quality

then under the Advanced button of that selected preset, customize the Video Tab settings as per the following

which includes 1920 Width, 1080 Height, Target Bitrate 32 Mbps, Maximum Bitrate 40 Mbps

JVC.JPG

Then import this H.264.mp4 (deinterlaced) export into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 for Share/Disc/DVD disc NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

This may resolve your interlace issue.

Please review and consider and then let me know the outcome.

More comments based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What are the best PE9 project settings for making the best quality 720 x 480 DVD from a 1440 x 1080 video
            jvc-mv Level 1

Hi ATR, to the best of my eyes & knowledge the following is what I came up w/ trying what you suggested (answers in bold below your orig. posts):

From all that has been written, all points to you facing interlace issues related to an interlaced video source. Most players (computer and DVD player) would be expected to deinterlace the exported interlaced end product for display.

If your video source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, then your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project preset should be either

If the JVC TOD video is your only Timeline content

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i 30 (60i)

I used thise settings- please see below

or

If you have other video formats besides the JVC TOD video on that Timeline destined for burn to, then

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

(I did not do these project settings since I only used TOD files)

and once the file is on the Timeline, then right click it, select Field Options from the pop up menu, and then select Reverse Field Dominance in the Field Options dialog. Do that for each of the JVC video TOD files. Instead of Reverse Field Dominance in Field Options, you could explore Always Deinterlace.

The burn to DVD disc for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is going to be

Disc

DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

The playback of this disc is governed by the TV DVD player's or standalone DVD player's settings. If you have a TV DVD player which offers only 4:3 and no opportunity to set to another display format, then I see that as a "it is what it is" situation.

All the above is by the "book". If you have devised a way to get a better result, then go with what you have put together.

I did the above, burned the DVD (Render at Max. Depth, & Optimized Stills), made seperate clips on the same DVD w/ "None" in Field Order in Timeline, "Reverse Field", & "De-Interlace" (not all selected at the same time however).  For the still RR tracks that have diagonal lines, seems it may look better in either None or  De-interlace on both the wide screen TV & 4:3, but hard to tell between the 2.  For the moving train, the horizontal and verticle parts (such as handrails) seem to be the same in both widescreen TV & 4:3, and seems "None" is better than "De-interlace".   "Reverse Field" in all of this was either w/ bad results, or did nothing.  The main background pic in the Menu screen of General, "Grid" was ok- no horizontal lines in the photo.  Also note that when this DVD was played in 1 type of DVD player, it showed up as wide screen on a 4:3 regular TV, but when played in a different DVD player, it filled the whole screen on the same TV screen (including the menu photo also filling the whole screen).

An alternative possibility(idea) might be to import the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 into a 9.0/9.0.1 new project set for

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

and then export it using

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone

iPod and iPhone - High Quality

then under the Advanced button of that selected preset, customize the Video Tab settings as per the following

which includes 1920 Width, 1080 Height, Target Bitrate 32 Mbps, Maximum Bitrate 40 Mbps

JVC.JPG

Then import this H.264.mp4 (deinterlaced) export into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 for Share/Disc/DVD disc NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

This may resolve your interlace issue.

Results of these project settings were:  (burned w/ Render Max Depth & Opt. Stills) the railroad track diagonal lines seemed to be better, or not as many, but no real change between None, Rev. Field, & De-interlace when shown as 16:9 in that particular DVD player.  When shown in other DVD player at 4:3 on the same TV as above, seems the diagonal lines were slightly better on None or De-interlace, but both about the same.  For the moving train, on the 4:3 DVD player, diagonal lines showed up all over the places of verticle & horizontal handrails on the moving cars, in None or Reverse Field, but smoothed out better in De-interlace.  However a slight flicker seems to show on De-interlace where the lines use to be.  When played in the widescreen 16:9 DVD player, seems the moving cars were not really affected much in None, De-interlace, or Reverse Field, or if it was, None seemed to be best. 

The clip fills the whole 4:3 TV screen on the one DVD player, & shows only as widescreen on the other player.  No issues w/ background pic of same menu as used above.  Also note- I noticed that when burning this as a seperate H.264 file to the computer, then re-uploading that file to PE, & burning that to a DVD seemed to take a longer than the average time.  The most time spent was when burning the H.264 file to the computer first, even tho this experimental clip length was only 10 minutes or less.   On the computer screen in Widows Media Player Windows 7, the DVD shows the still tracks with lines seems to be better at None or De-interlace.  The car movements show no lines on the handrails, but w/ a slight flutter in De-interlace.

My original experimental PE9 project settings (talked about in the previous message), with the DSLR, 1080P, 1920 x 1080, square pixel (1.0), progressive scan, 29.97 fps, HDV capture format, max bit depth, seemed to be best out of all the experimenting if I remember correctly.  I will look again & let you know to be sure (would help if I had more RW DVDs).

Thanks in advance for any feedback, ideas, or info.