14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 6:53 AM by Laubender

Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

Help Tutor Level 1

Hi, Please anyone give me an answer to this problem.

Adobe Indesign won't package my pasteboard images. Without increasing slug value, I want the solution for this.

• 2. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign
          Help Tutor Level 1

Thanks for your reply sir.

I have already seen these answers. Any other script based option is there for this problem?

• 4. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Eugene,

just tried Kasyan's script, at least the simplified version 4.1 since I had trouble with the *normal* version extracting the jsx-file from the downloaded zip archive file:

Images on the pasteboard are neglected and not packaged. Tested with InDesign CS6 v8.1 on Mac OSX 10.7.5.

Uwe

• 5. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well that obviously didn't work. I didn't test it myself.

• 6. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using OSX try this AppleScript after you package. It will duplicate any pasteboard links into the chosen folder:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

--choose the destination for the pasteboard links

set thePath to choose folder with prompt "Select a destination folder"

tell active document

set lnks to every link

repeat with theLink in lnks

--check for link status and parent page. Parent page of nothing means pasteboard

if status of theLink is not link missing and parent page of parent of parent of theLink is nothing then

set theLinkPath to file path of theLink

--copy to selected folder

tell application "Finder"

duplicate theLinkPath to thePath with replacing

end tell

end if

end repeat

end tell

end tell

• 7. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

The script could also include the packaging. I haven't thoroughly tested this, but it seems to work. It packages the front document with all of the options set to true, then copies any missing pasteboard items to the Links folder inside the package:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

--choose the destination for the pasteboard links

set thePath to choose folder with prompt "Select a destination folder"

set linkspath to thePath & "Links" as string

tell active document

--package with everything true

package to thePath with copying fonts, copying linked graphics, copying profiles, updating graphics, including hidden layers, ignore preflight errors and creating report

set lnks to every link

repeat with theLink in lnks

--check for link status and parent page. Parent page of nothing means pasteboard

if status of theLink is not link missing and parent page of parent of parent of theLink is nothing then

set theLinkPath to file path of theLink

--copy to selected folder

tell application "Finder"

duplicate theLinkPath to linkspath with replacing

end tell

end if

end repeat

end tell

end tell

• 8. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

Hi Rob,

thank you for this. Still have to test this in my very special case:

For some reasons in one of my student's projects I will rely on a script I have still have to write, that is *explicitly* not using InDesign's packaging functionality.

This has to do with a missing plug-in once installed, leaving its traces in documents and will not allow to use the packaging command at all.

One solution would be to IDML everything to clean the documents.
                    But I'd prefer a method for packaging, that would mimic InDesign's ability to package files (including IDML and PDF Export), also doing this with placed images on the pasteboard and perhaps with images (and other assets) that are used with the Overlay Panel (DPS and DPS(2015) related) and not showing up in the Links Panel.

At univerity recently I also met a problem with InDesign CS6 v8.1 on Windows where some fonts were not packaged as they should.

I still have to find out the reason.

WIW: I will send Kasyan a note. In the meanwhile I'll check the code of his version 4.1 of Package for Archive 4.1-simplified.jsx

Uwe

• 9. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

This has to do with a missing plug-in once installed, leaving its traces in documents and will not allow to use the packaging command at all.

I assumed you tried packaging via a script to check that it's not GUI thing?

• 10. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

My Javascript skills are a bit sketchy but it looks like the Kasyan script is using the packageForPrint command, which would explain the missing pasteboard items. If you are building something without the package command, the copying the links part should be easy  app.activeDocument.links[i] or set lnks to every link obviously includes the pasteboard—the rest maybe not so easy.

• 11. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

Yes, Rob, Kasyan's script indeed is using the method packageForPrint() in line 82 and line 85.
                          That will explain the fact, that all images on the pasteboard are dismissed. And maybe, that fonts used in text frames on the pasteboard only, will not be packaged*.

What is interesting in the ExtendScript method packageForPrint() is, that documents, that fail packaging through the GUI because of a missing plug-in can be packaged in the limits of that feature. I tested that. So I will write a script, that would not use packageForPrint() or only some of its features (font packaging maybe) and doing the packaging for all images, be them placed on the pasteboard or not with a custom function.

Uwe

* Still I have to verify that.

• 12. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign
                            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

I'm late to the party but I have a solution that I've tested repeatedly.

To package an InDesign file but keep all of the links on the pasteboard, do the following:

1) Make a new InDesign book file (an indb)

2) Put the file you would like packaged in the book panel that will show up after making the book file

3) In the book panel, click Package Book for Print

4) Follow the package process.

Once the file is packaged, navigate to the newly created packaged folder. The indb file can be trashed, and the InDesign file opened. All links on the pasteboard should still be in the links folder.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 13. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

Hi Colin,

thank you for this.

Package Book for Print is working great.

Just tested this with InDesign CS6 8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.8

The one thing that irritates:

when it comes to images on the pasteboard these images are not listed in the Overview and therefore are not recorded in the Report.txt you can save.

Thanks,
                              Uwe

• 14. Re: Packaging Graphics on the Pasteboard from Indesign

Here some screenshots from CS6 to illustrate this. The Package for Print dialog of the opened book is present. Plus the document that's stored in the book shows up in the background:

ImageOnPasteboard-PackageBookForPrint.png

Here the packaged folder showing the Links folder with the packaged image:

ImageOnPasteboard-PackagedFolderFromBook.png

Regards,
                                Uwe