14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2015 11:35 AM by A.T. Romano

MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10

Frances Adrienne

When I tried for the first time to down load  Videos in MP4(LPCM) Format from my Lumix GH4 to Premier Elements Organizer on Windows 7 the Programme crashed. Now when I open Premier Elementes I get `Premier Elements Organizer does not work´. Can anyone help.

Thanks

OldBirder

• 1. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

On the off-chance the file you added corrupted the Organizer, go to Windows Explorer and remove the MP4 from your computer. (Or at least rename it so that the Organizer can not find it.) See if that fixes the Organizer so that you can start it. If not, try holding down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys on the left side of your keyboard as you launch the program to clear the preferences.

If things still don't work, you may need to look into something more drastic, like reinstalling the program or even cleaning out your registry or rebuilding your Organizer catalog.

Meantime, your Lumix shoots in a variety of formats, including 4K. Premiere Elements 10 really doesn't support MP4 video, and it definitely won't know what to do with 4K. If you're going to work with 1920x1080 4k from the camera, I'd recommend you at least upgrade to version 11 of the program. And, if you're going edit 4K, you'll definitely need to upgrade to version 13.

• 2. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

If the keyboard shortcut for deleting the Elements Organizer preferences does not work, then please look at going to the specific file named psa.prf.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it to psa.prfOLD.

Make sure your computer is set to show hidden files and folder. See Folder Options.

Also, I have not found that there is a generalization that Premiere Elements 10 does not support ".mp4" video.

There is a known problem with display issues and other performance issues related to Premiere Elements 10 being run on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, but that is another story.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? I will see if I can find a sample video from the Lumix GH4 and look at it on my Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit.

ATR

• 3. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
              Frances Adrienne Level 1

Hallo AT,

have done all suggested.

Also tried deinstalling and reinstalling but this doesnt  work either. I cannot remove the videos from the organizer. (see attached screen shots) although I have removed all video files from the hard disk. To make it clear: even after deinstalling everything and reinstalling the videos are still in the organizer.

Have paid a professional IT Consultant regarding this problem but he also cannot help further.

What now? I would update to 13. but without a working 10 this is not possible.

Now I am thinking about scrapping Premier Elements altogether and going for an alternative Video Software.

We are both (+IT Consultant) very interested to find a answer to this.

Adrienne Schmezer

Von: A.T. Romano [ <mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com> mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com]

Gesendet: Montag, 29. Juni 2015 17:54

An: Adrienne Schmezer

Betreff:  MP4(LPCM) &amp; Premier Elements 10

created by  <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements -  <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7702737#7702737> View the full discussion

• 4. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Thanks for the reply. Let us go back and review the situation and try to find the solution with Premiere Elements 10.

1. What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses? From what you wrote, you are working with Windows 7 64 bit. Is NVIDIA GeForce card involved?

2. What are the properties of your Lumix GH4 videos that you are trying to import into the Elements Organizer 10? Are you working with

4K (3840 x 2160) 30p

or

4K (4096 x 2160) 24p

or

Other

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 10 and its Elements Organizer 10? And, are you running your programs as administrator?

3. Can you import your video directly into a Premiere Elements 10 project, but not the Elements Organizer 10? Or, can you not import your video directly into either Elements Organizer 10 or Premiere Elements Editor?

4. Important....I was able to find and download a sample from a Lumix GH4 camera. It was 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 29.970 progressive frames per second (AVCHD.mov file). I had no problems importing that into Premiere Elements 10 Editor or Elements Organizer 10. When I imported the file into the Elements Organizer 10, it presented as a gray thumbnail. After I right click the thumbnail, selected Update Thumbnail from the menu that appeared and waited a few seconds, the thumbnail now contained a video image within it. Double clicking that thumbnail allowed me to playback from the thumbnail the video in the Elements Organizer 10 player.

5. There are now project presets or export presets for 4 K in version 10. But, I found that I could import 4K into Premiere Elements 10 and Elements Organizer 10.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                  Frances Adrienne Level 1

Hallo AT,

thanks for replying so quickly. Please see the attachment.

I really need these Videos, they are from a group of  Audi Apprentices who worked a whole week on a Nature Conservation Project.

Frances Adrienne

Von: A.T. Romano 

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2015 16:25

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7733323#7733323>

• 6. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Thank you for the reply but for some reason the attachment was not included. See if the following how to on posting screenshots helps.

The specified item was not found.

I hope that you can post the additional information as mentioned in my post 4.

As I mentioned in that post, I was able to get a sample 4K video from your camera and import it into Premiere Elements 10 without issue.

So, we need to find out why you could not.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                      Frances Adrienne Level 1

Hallo AT,

its not a screeen shot, but a word file.

Frances Adrienne

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2015 20:31

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7734605#7734605>

• 8. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Thanks for the reply.

You can ask in the Adobe Forum Comments Forum, but I do not think that you can post word documents.

Forum comments

If problem, then could you write the information into your thread? What is the major focus points in what you planned to send?

Right now the major information needed to sort out the issue is in post 4.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Just writing to find out how you are progressing. I am eager for you to success and am looking forward finding a solution for your issue with your help.

Key information is more of a description of what you are recording with the camera

4K 3840 x 2160 @ 30p, 25p, or 24p

or

1920 x 1080 @ 60p, 30p, 24p, or 60i which is 60 field per seconds that counterpart of 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

I tried the 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 29.970 progressive frames per second from your brand/model camera and had no problems with it using Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit (video card/graphics card = Intel HD Graphics).. In the details that you will be posting, it might be a good idea to summarize your computer resources in the likelihood that you are running into a problem with computer resources if you are trying to work with 4K video.

Please refer to my post 4.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                            Frances Adrienne Level 1

Hallo AT,

Sorry I’m new at this didn’t realise that attachments can‘ t be posted.

NVIDIA NVS310

4K is OFF                                                                                Rec Mode MP4(LPCM)                                                                                Rec quality 1920X1080 25p 50Mbps

QuickTime 7                                                                                I am the Administrator for the PC   and I presume that  I am running the programs as administrator.

MP4 Videos will not import into either Premier Elements Editor,  or Organizer or Photoshop Elements Organizer or Elements . Previously I have had no problem importing MOV files into both Programs.

Frances Adrienne

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2015 16:25

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7733323#7733323>

• 11. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Thanks for the latest post. It was a great help and lead. The key to understanding was when you wrote

Previously I have had no problem importing MOV files into both Programs.

That sent me on an afternoon search of the Internet looking for samples of GH4 .mp4 video recorded with video = AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) and audio = PCM or LPCM samples. Whether I used Premiere Elements 10 or Premiere Elements 13/13.1, the result was the same, with .mov files from that camera OK, .mp4 not OK - the not OK to be defined in a post coming later today. What was the motivation for recording .mp4 instead of .mov? I did some quick research on that. Based on what I have read online, the results (quality wise) are "supposed" to be the same, with an edge going to .mov even though it was supposed to give a larger file size.

Full details to follow within the next few hours today or sooner.

ATR

• 12. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

This is what I would like you to do with one of your GH4 1920 x 1080p25 (50 Mbps) videos as a quick feasibility study.

Download and install the free HandBrake program.

https://handbrake.fr/

Import your 1920 x 1080p25. See Source/File and wait for the program to scan the video.

Destination. Browse to and set computer desktop for the save location of the file to be created.

Output Settings. Container MP4

Leave the Settings under the Picture Tab as is.

Under the Video Tab, set

.....Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

.....Framerate (FPS): 25

.....dot the Constant Framerate choice

Click on the Start button at the top left of the workspace and watch for "Queue Finished" in the bottom left of the workspace, indicating export completion.

Try to import that HandBrake export into the Premiere Elements 10 project set with the project preset

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

We can talk about exporting that Timeline if necessary after we know that we can import video into the project.

If this works, then moving forward please set the GH4 to record to .mov format if you want to use Premiere Elements as your video editor. Moving to 13/13.1 does not appear to be a consideration at this time.

So far, I have been able to find only 4K samples online for my testing. The 4K AVCHD.mp4 (not the 4K AVCHD.mov) choice presented all sorts of problems in Premiere Elements 10 and 13/13.1 - red frames and such. But, I was able to import these files without the programs crashing. Tried all sorts of maneuvers to avoid HandBrake. But in the end, HandBrake coversion was the answer. I have extrapolated these findings to your camera's 1080p;. yet to find a 1080p25 AVCHD.mp4 from your camera.

At this point, I am looking at this issue as a GH4 AVCHD.mp4 file format compatibility issue specific to Premiere Elements. I have seen these red frames before with regard to HD files with .mp4 file extension.

More later.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                                  Frances Adrienne Level 1

AT,

I need a bit of time to do this and I am wondering whether it is worth the effort because it seems to me that you are saying that MP4 and  Premier Elements are not compatible. If this is so it is ridiculous situation.

My previous Camera  Panasonic DMC FZ50, bought in 2006 did not offer MP4, I used MOV.

After reading various reports and buying books I decided on  MP4 because in `GH4 MENU System Simplified´ by David Thorpe he suggests that MP4(LPCM) offers very high quality settings with losslessly compressed sound. More suited to editing, the higher the original quality the better the quality after rendering and he gave the exact camera settings.(he also says that MOV is very similar to MP4).On the camera and in Nero Video the Videos look really good. 

You should know that I have downloaded a test version of Nero Video.  My Videos from GH4 loaded quickly and without problem into this program. I wanted to see whether there was a problem with the Video settings that I used, obviously not. I would prefer to use Premier Elements as I have done some editing with it and with a new program I will have to start from scratch.

The point is how can I get my Premier Elements Organizer into working order because even if I decide to change back to MOV I still can’t use the Organizer? Since the organizer went haven’t tried to use Projekt.

I will be travelling next week so it may be some time before I can see your next info. Thanks

Frances Adrienne

Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Juli 2015 02:25

created by  <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements -  <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7739991#7739991> View the full discussion

• 14. Re: MP4(LPCM) & Premier Elements 10
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Frances Adrienne

Thanks you for the reply. I will offer the following to be discussed when your schedule permits.

I am at no time making the generalization that all files with the .mp4 file extension, or specifically AVCHD.mp4, are not compatible with Premiere Elements. My comments are directed to your GH4 situation.

I do find (first hand) that I  am having a problem with GH4's 4K (3860 x 2140) AVCHD.mp4s in Premiere Elements 10 and 13/13.1. At the same time, I do not see these problems if I am using 4K (3860 x 2140) AVCHD.mov from the GH4. In my case, these problems exist without crashing the program/project.

I do not have access to 1920 x 1080p from the GH4 to determine if the problem profile that I have seen for GH4 4K mp4 here extends to its 1920 x 1080p. I have searched the Internet and find only 4K samples from this camera.

For troubleshooting purposes only, I requested that you look at your 1920 x 1080p as the HandBrake's H.264.mp4 in Premiere Elements. If it would not invade your privacy, could you send a sample of your problem 1920 x 1080p (.mp4) via Dropbox or Google Drive link in your thread so that we can compare the same sample.

The sample sending should be considered since it has the advantage of same source extensive testing which is being offered as a favor...testing while you are away on other business.

There are instances where manufacturers work with a proprietary codec. I am not saying proprietary codec concept applies here, but we need not to take anything for granted. One of the symptoms presenting in my 4K .mp4 studies is the presence of red video frames in the project. I have seen that before under different circumstances involving HD .mp4 files and other programs.

More later.

ATR