6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 12:49 PM by A.T. Romano

Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?

arthurs59039472

I have made an HD video with my camera and need to edit it, but when I import it to Adobe Premiere Elements 13 the quality drops. How do I maintain the optimal quality of the video when importing it?

• 1. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help - click the links about setting up a new project to be sure you have optimized your project for your video

• 2. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

arthurs

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video? What is the file extension that goes along with the file? What is the bitrate of the file that is imported?

Is the quality drop only at import and when you are viewing the video in the Edit area monitor? Or do you see loss of video quality when you view the export of that Timeline content? When you view the video in the Edit area monitor, are you looking at Timeline rendered or unrendered content? No colored line, orange line, or green line over the Timeline content?

What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source video? Please tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General?

Lots more questions about the dating on your video card/graphics card driver version and other, but let us review and consider the above and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask so that we can customize a reply for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
              arthurs59039472 Level 1

Hey there,

I use Premiere Elements 13.

My camera is the Sony DSC-TX30, shooting in FX AVCHD 16:9 13M Movie Mode

The file is AVCHD and the bit rate is 256 kbps

I only noticed the quality drop at import and when I view the video in the Edit area monitor. I havnt tried to export it yet.

I tried to render it but it just started the video from the beginning... I think thats because I literally did nothing to the video, just imported it.

Here are the readings:

Editing mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Frame size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Aspect Ration: square pixels (1.0)

I really appreciate this in depth help. I can tell you know what your doing. I can readily admit that I am very new to video editing so it is all a learning process for me.

Thank you very much,

Arthur Stashak

• 4. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Arthur Stashak

Thanks for the following with important information on your Premiere Elements video quality issue.

I have done some reading on the camera and, based on what you wrote and what I believe your video to be.....

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264 video compression, probably with a .mts file extension by the time it gets to your project's Timeline.

It looks like 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (sometimes referred to as 60i which represents 60 fields per second).

If your project preset is as described and you are not getting any orange line over the video content when it is dragged to the Timeline for the first time, I believe that your project preset is set correctly, that is, to

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30.

All this means is that what you should be seeing in the monitor at playback is the best possible preview of what you have imported into the project. So where does that good news leave us if you write that the quality of what you are seeing is really poor?

1. In what way is it poor...blurring or ghosting in areas of higher motion in the video? Interlace problem or something else?

a. right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then select Highest instead of Automatic. Did that make a difference?

b. go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that the Timeline Rendering Quality is set to the choice for "High quality, Slow speed"

c. or, consider a maneuver where you force render the file in the hope of improving its performance in the Timeline previewing....to do that, right click the Timeline video, select Time Stretch, set the Time Stretch's Speed % to 99, click OK to get out of there...then render that Timeline content by pressing the Render button above the Timeline. Does the Timeline video play back better?

2. Video card/graphic card driver version needing updating? If so, please verify with web site of manufacturer of the card. Also check Device Manager/Display Adapters to determine if your computer is using one or two cards.

3. Export you video Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30, and let us know the quality of the export. Also name the player that you used.

Please review, consider, and let us know the results. Then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
                  arthurs59039472 Level 1

Hello again,

Ok I am starting to think it was just a problem with the Edit area video monitor. Because when I changed the playback quality to highest it looks like the original quality. For now I will continue to edit my video and keep in my your exporting tips when I am finished. If I come by any more problems I will be sure to contact you again.

Your professionalism and your willingness to help is outstanding. Do you have a boss or manager I can talk to because I would love to tell him/her of you great customer service.

Thanks again,

Arthur

• 6. Re: Quality loss when importing video to editor. What do I do?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Arthur

Wonderful news that you are moving forward in your projects. Great job in following through on all the suggestions.

We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

We are not Adobe. And, I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. I am just a visitor here like yourself. I come and go at my own schedule and do not have a boss or manager, just me who has an overactive troubleshooting gene.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions on your workflows.

Best wishes

ATR