1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 5:42 AM by The Patina

Movies not previewing in InDesign CC 2015 Publish Online Preview and vid quality question

The Patina

Hi all

Two issues here, one worse / more pressing than the other:

1. No matter what I do, vid files placed in InDesign CC2015 are not previewing as playable via the Publish Online preview option. What I get is the container and poster load with a generic controller underneath in the POP web view but the video will not play. Same video works fine if the doc in question is output as an Interactive PDF. NB: video is .MP4 file / H264 codec. Movie settings are: Poster from current frame, Controller: SkinAllOverNoCaption

2. (and this has been bugging me for a while) video playback quality. If I output a version of a video at say a quarter of HD res (e.g. around: 480x270) and place that at 100% size on the page, why does the resultant playback (say if the doc is exported as an Interactive PDF) look lower res than the same file played back in QuickTime? I have noted that if I place a larger movie file and scale it down in size in InDesign, that looks better, but not the size-for-size placement.

Any insights on the above appreciated.

PS: I'd have uploaded a screen shot but kept getting the 'that image type is forbidden' warning..for either JPEGs or PNGs. Meh! lol

• 1. Re: Movies not previewing in InDesign CC 2015 Publish Online Preview and vid quality question
          The Patina Level 1

OK, well things have started working with the first part of my query, that of the movies not playing. Magically, they now have. All by themselves.

I'm going to guess that the reason for them not playing when I initially tried them as soon as the upload preview was available was that either the Adobe Preview site wasn't working properly, or the site has to create some kind of internal streaming link to the video asset.

Bottom line, I tried yesterday's uploaded previews today, and the movies they contain are working.

Part 2 of my query is still open, so if anyone might want to chip in on that, it'd be much appreciated.

TP