Unlike graphics which can be linked from a CC library in InDesign CC 2015, paragraph and character styling is coming from the "snippet" in the library. There is not a link so you can't edit the original to re-apply it.
So it's not as easy to do the update. In a simple example. I created three files which has the same Paragraph Style which I applied from CC Libraries.
To change the color of the type, I had to edit the paragraph style in one of the documents to the new color. Then I clicked Add Paragraph Style at the bottom of CC Libraries. This added a new paragraph style with the same name. I deleted the first paragraph style which I had used originally.
To apply the new version to the other two files, I had to use Redefine Style in the Paragraph Style panel to give the new color to the text in those files. Otherwise, I would have had to select the text to apply the new version of the style.
Hi Steve, So it sounds like you're using the document's paragraph styles to actually style text within the document and then using the CC Library paragraph style to pass the formatting between documents and manually update the individual document styles. That makes sense. Thanks for your help!
Is it possible to do it cross application?
i.e. InDesign -> illustrator / Photoshop
Is it possible to do WHAT cross-platform? Please be specific about what you're asking here.
That is an annoying workflow. I would have hoped I could update a style between docs more easily.
It's a developing technology. It will continue to add new features over time. Stay tuned.
We are beta testers now
New features require beta testers. So do new software versions and updated OS versions. It's the nature of software. Created by humans, it's imperfect.
Not sure if this will help but I had a similar need to be able to apply a different colour to a style across multiple documents.
- I created two folders, a "colour" and a "paragraph" folder in my CC libraries
- I then applied a colour from my "colour" folder in the cc library to paragraph style
- The Paragraph style should now be imported into your paragraph styles
- No, go to your "colour" folder in your CC library, find the colour that you applied to your Paragraph style and double click to change to your desired colour
- Once you have done this, click okay, then right click and select 'set colour'
- Go back to your paragraph style and you should see a + next to your style, redifine your style and this should apply to your document
If you look at your swatches panel, it will automatically save the two colors yous have as different versions.