4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 7:03 AM by ComicHouse

After Effects Creates a new Adobe User Preference folder every time its opened!?

ViperJPB Level 1

After Effects CC 2014.2 takes forever to open and creates a new Adobe folder in users/username/AppData/Roaming with an After Effects preference folder in there everytime AE is opened. I had an extra Adobe folder for every time it was opened all the way back to January!? The extra folders usually have some random symbol or square in front of the name "Adobe". I deleted them all and changed the Read/Write Permissions on the main Adobe folder to Read/Write from Read. Seemed to solve the problem only temporarily. Now it's doing it again. Any way to stop this, fix it, or explain it?

Also in general since we purchased this workstation from BOXX the performance in AE has been rather sluggish and disappointing. Interface seems to drag, previews seem slower, and sliding the playhead for adaptive preview feels much more sluggish than lesser systems in the building.

Specs are: Dual Xeon 2687W v3 with 40 cores

128GB of memory

3xTITAN Blacks

RAID 1 SSD boot drives

Dedicated SSD for caching

RAID 5 Media array running at 1600MBs

• 1. Re: After Effects Creates a new Adobe User Preference folder every time its opened!?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, given how AE works, your system is less than ideal. You know, most stuff still runs single threaded, so your processors have nothing to do. Conversely, those Titans only make sense, if you actually use a CUDA-driven plug-in like Sapphire, but even then you have over-specced. Unless you also use the machine for 3D work, you have an Edsel where AE is concerned. That prefs folder issue is another matter, but without knowing more about your setup impossible to decipher. Simply sounds like you have some domain controller and different user contexts or something like that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Creates a new Adobe User Preference folder every time its opened!?
            ViperJPB Level 1

I have mentioned this before in other posts....but yes the machine is used for heavy 3D work and Color Grading in Resolve using a lot of GPU power. Even with all the threads of the system disabled in bios or windows, AE behaves the same way.

I am more concerned with the odd long process of opening and the constant recreating of that Adobe folder. What more info is needed to troubleshoot this?

Plus I find it ridiculous that you could over build a system for AE....sounds like AE's problem and not the machine . Slow computer equals fast AE? Hmmmm. Can't wait until the MP is re-engineered and added into the new 2015 CC. Lots of potential there. Anyhow my machine still renders much faster with MP on then with it off regardless of plugin threaded coding.

• 3. Re: After Effects Creates a new Adobe User Preference folder every time its opened!?
              ViperJPB Level 1

Anyone have any ideas why AE would create a new preference folder every time it opens? Really think this is the cause of some of the initial sluggishness upon opening AE.

• 4. Re: After Effects Creates a new Adobe User Preference folder every time its opened!?
                ComicHouse

Hi ViperJPB,

We just installed a brand new machine and have exactly the same issue. A random number of Adobe folders are constantly being created in de AppData/Roaming folder, all containing an After Effects folder with a AfterFX11.ini file inside. These folders are named with small differences in the filename to make them unique I guess:

֝Adobe
                ֟Adobe

֟Adobe

֡Adobe

ׇAdobe

And so on...

SPECS:

Windows 10 Pro

Dual Intel Xeon CPU 2.6 GHz

128 GB RAM

Any thoughts on this after a year? I would really appreciate you sharing any developments on this.

Thanks,

Hans