5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 7:52 AM by marq5.1

custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015

marq5.1 Level 1

Hi,

I have been testing CC 2015 and the biggest problem I am having so far, is that the custom keyboard shortcuts that I painstakingly wrote into the "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" document, located (similar to in CC  2014) in Volume/Users/User/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/13.5 is being written-over at Ae launch. So, no more custom keyboard shortcuts for me at the moment.

I am surprised that there are no recent posts about this, so I'm wondering if I am the only one having this problem.

Any ideas why my Ae is replacing my modified "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" document. Everything in the modified document is identical to the default "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" document (except for my modified keystrokes). No error message, just replaced at Ae launch. I tried write protecting the modified "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" but that did cause an Ae error.

Thanks for any help,

DK

• 1. Re: custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015
          Nir Cohen Level 1

Exactly the same problem for me.

• 2. Re: custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015
            marq5.1 Level 1

I am amazed that there has been no reply to this question from anyone from Adobe. As far as I can tell, myself, and one other person is having this problem. Can anyone confirm that it is still possible to change the "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" document in CC15 like in CC14?

Thanks

DK

• 3. Re: custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015
              marq5.1 Level 1

It would be nice if this thread would show up in the "recent" List.

• 4. Re: custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015
                marq5.1 Level 1

OK, so since no one has had anything to offer, I figure I'll have to spend some time on this on my own. Here is what I have discovered:

The new Keyboard Shortcuts text file for After Effects, Ae, Creative Cloud 2015 is named "Adobe After Effects 13.5 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" as apposed to 2014 being named "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt". For the last few updates all one had to do was rename the previous text file with the name of the newer text file and replace it in the newer preferences folder.

However, this wasn't working for the newest update. The header of the old text file and the text file are exactly the same, so I was assuming that the rest of the text was the same except for the few pieces of text I changed for my personal shortcuts... But of course this was wrong.

I did a closer comparison of the previous text file and the one for CC2015.

At line 203 - "major_version" = "80" is now "major_version" = "85"... That was it. That was what was causing the copy and pasting of my previous shortcuts text to be rejected by Ae CC 2015.

So, I copy and pasted everything after "major_version" = "85" at line 203... the text file is now no longer being replaced when Ae launches, and all of my shortcuts are actually working... however, some of the preset shortcuts that used to work are now no longer working. That means Adobe has changed some of the other basic key mapping in CC 2015.

Here are two major changes I have found so far:

at line 402 - "TimePlay" = "(Space)" doesn't exist anymore in CC 2015 and is now at line 405 - "TimeSpacebarPlay" = "(Space)",

also in the new CC 2015 "Preview" = "(Pad0)(PadInsert)(macControl+0)" is now "PreviewNumpad0" = "(Pad0)(PadInsert)(macControl+0)" at line 437

These two shortcuts effect preview rendering, and should not be changed.

I guess you have to decide if its worth your effort to go back into the text file and only change the keys you want to be modified, and leave the rest alone. Or, if doing some precision copying and pasting is better. A pain either way, but its good to know that the custom keyboard shortcut mod does actually still work.

• 5. Re: custom keyboard shortcuts in CC 2015
                  marq5.1 Level 1

Hi,

some update of CC2015 has caused a new folder in the After Effects Preferences Library to be created. This one is 13.5 (for some reason). Unfortunately not only having to manually transport my "ModifiedWorkspaces" to the new preferences folder, also the new "Adobe After Effects xx.x Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" needs to be modified (by hand) as well. This is actually time consuming, and very user unfriendly! But since complaining is pointless here is something that will hopefully help others facing this annoyance, and save them some time.

There are a few new lines in the "Adobe After Effects 13.5 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" document, so the "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" won't work if you just change its name to "Adobe After Effects 13.5 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" and put it in the 13.5 folder. One method would be to change the following entries to your modified "Adobe After Effects 13.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" text and then change its name to "Adobe After Effects 13.5 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" and replace the .txt file with that name in the 13.5 folder. The lines that need to be added are:

line 405: "TimeShiftSpacebarPlay" = "(Shift+Space)"

line 419: "TimeShiftSpacebarPlay" = "(Shift+Space)"

line 582: "AddItemsToNewComp" = "(Option+Backslash)(Option+Yen)"

line 598: "CompTrimToWorkArea" = "(Cmd+Shift+X)"

line 599: "CompViewOptions" = "(Cmd+Option+U)"

line 600: "Compify" = "(Cmd+Shift+C)"

line 601: "Copy" = "(Cmd+C)"

line 602: "CopyExpressionLinkedInstance" = "(Cmd+Option+C)"

line 603: "CopyExpressionLinkedInstanceRelative" = "()"

line 604: "CustResNoDialog" = "(Cmd+Option+J)"

line 605: "CustResNoDialogRecurse" = "(Cmd+Option+macControl+J)"

line 606: "Cut" = "(Cmd+X)"

line 607: "DebugDroverCreateNewTab" = "(Cmd+Shift+Option+D)"

I used TextMate to modify the text file. It shows the line numbers, and doesn't cause the messed up quotation marks problem that the Mac tex edit program does.

Good Luck

Cheers,

DK