4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 6:24 AM by Just Shoot Me

Recover Moved Files

l;aksjdf

I have a MacBook Pro running Yosemite and Lightroom 6. I recently moved files via Lightroom to an external drive. The external drive crashed. I went to look in my MacBook's trash to retrieve the files (the same day) and they were not there - not sure what type of operation Lightroom takes to move the files. How can I recover the files from my hard drive? Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Recover Moved Files
          dj_paige Level 9

If you performed a MOVE, either using Lightroom or your operating system, the files are no longer on the original drive. That's how MOVE works. It's not like COPY, where now the file is on both disks.

The first thing you should do is to recover the photos from your backups.

If you don't have backups (why not?), then as far as I know, the only remaining choice is to try something called an un-delete utility to recover the files from the original drive ... note: I know this can work on Windows, I assume it can also work on Mac computers but I don't really have enough knowledge to be sure it can work on Macs.

• 2. Re: Recover Moved Files
            l;aksjdf Level 1

I have all my files backed up with the exception of those I moved that day as it did not have enough time for the scheduled backup to occur. Any suggestions for a utility to undelete?

• 3. Re: Recover Moved Files
              dj_paige Level 9

I do not use a Mac, so I cannot offer a suggestion. Maybe someone else can.

Are these lost files still on the camera card?

• 4. Re: Recover Moved Files
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

l;aksjdf wrote:

I have all my files backed up with the exception of those I moved that day as it did not have enough time for the scheduled backup to occur. Any suggestions for a utility to undelete?

If these files you Moved were originally on your internal drive then the backup you have may contain those files.

If these were new image files then I am sorry to say those files, images, are gone unless you use some type of Recovery software or a Recovery service.

If the Physical drive really failed then only a Recovery service will be able to retrieve them.

But it has been my experience that most of the time when an External drive fails the actual physical drive/disk inside the external enclosure is still fine and working. It is the Enclosures electronics that has failed. If you remove the physical disk/drive from that enclosure and put it in another enclosure or a SATA to USB adapter you can access the files on the drive.