18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 4:22 PM by trshaner

Sigma fisheye defish in LR

nickpearse

I want to use lightroom to defish my images taken with my Sigma 10mm f2.8 EX DC for Nikon but can only do so if i shoot in RAW as there is no lens profile for images shot in Jpeg with this lens. Should i not want to shoot in Raw would it be ok to shoot jpeg and just use a very similar lens profile to correct my fisheye...does anyone know the best one?

• 1. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do that for sure. The correction will work best with raws but there is nothing wrong with trying to do it with jpegs. I couldn't find a profile for jpegs for that lens but it is fairly trivial to make a profile yourself. You do that with lens profile creator available here:

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Creator : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Creator 1.0.4

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Creator : For Windows

• 2. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
            nickpearse Level 1

Thats great thanks for the response.

I shall try that later

Do you know if there are already an lens profiles for fisheyes that will do just as good a job?

Cheers

Nick

• 3. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

You can try a profile for another fisheye like the Nikon 10,5 mm one. I don't know whether any of those will work well for this lens.

• 4. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can copy and rename the existing RAW profile and convert it to a non-RAW ... at your own risk with no guarantee for its performance.

Here's a guide: Better Family Photos: Lightroom - Creating a JPEG Lens Correction Profile

• 5. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                  nickpearse Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for that info, thats very interesting.

I will have to try that out!

Not sure if it's that easy why LR would'nt have done it in the first place.

Cheers Anyway

Nick

• 6. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

The RAW and JPG do not have to be identical in a way that the same profile can perfectly correct both. The camera firmware creates the JPG from the internal RAW data and may already correct some parameters.

For a perfect operation, the profile needs to be created for both formats separately.

However, since the RAW profile for your lens is available, I'd give it a try. It's quickly done and the best you can get without generating a completely new profile.

• 7. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since this is a non-OEM lens (Sigma vs Nikon) no in-camera corrections should be applied. You can convert the currently installed Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC FISHEYE HSM raw lens profile as outlined at the link F. McLion provided.

BTW- We had this same discussion a few months ago: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

If you're having trouble converting and installing the existing raw profile for this lens just tell us. We'll also need top know what version of LR you are using (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, CC 2015). The location of lens profiles changed in LR 4.3 and later.

• 8. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

... we're always having the same discussions over and over ... The #1 Forum Tip here seems to be too small

• 9. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                          nickpearse Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am using LR 5. Are the location of the lens profiles still in the same place as you listed in the article you posted?

• 10. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

The Adobe installed lens profiles in LR4.3 and later versions can be found here:

Mac

Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom X/Right-click Show Package Contents/Resources/Lens Profiles

Win

X:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom X\Resources\LensProfiles\

You need to open the current RAW profile SIGMA (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ) - RAW.lcp in a text editor such as Windows Notepad or Mac TextEdit (change Format> Make plain text). Find ALL instances  of:

stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"

and Replace with:

stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False"

Do NOT Save the modified file to the same location. Rename the file by changing - RAW to - JPEG and save the file to the below "user" location:

Mac

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles /

Windows

C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Close and reopen LR to load the new lens profile.

• 11. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

I'm not sure, I don't have a LR5 installation around. On my CC 2015 it's:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\Sigma\Nikon\NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ) - RAW.lcp

that I would copy and rename to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\Sigma\Nikon\NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ).lcp

and then modify as mentioned.

• 12. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

F. McLion wrote:

I'm not sure, I don't have a LR5 installation around. On my CC 2015 it's:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\Sigma\Nikon\NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE )

I left out the \1.0 folder name...that's where they are located in LR5 as well: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0

F. McLion wrote:

that I would copy and rename to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\Sigma\Nikon\NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ).lcp

and then modify as mentioned.

That will not work. LR only recognizes and uses the program installed profiles at that folder location.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/lightroom-5-default-locations/

Your custom Camera Raw & Lens Profiles should be installed to the User folders…

Lightroom 5 no longer uses the shared ProgramData (Windows) / Application Support (Mac) folders for Camera or Lens Profiles. Instead, it stores the built-in profiles with its program files.

When you create camera or lens profiles, they must be stored in the user locations listed below. If you previously stored custom profiles in other locations, you’ll need to move them to these user folders, otherwise Lightroom won’t be able to find them.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

For the lens profiles, substitute the LensProfiles folder for the CameraProfiles folder.

• 13. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                                  nickpearse Level 1

Hi Guys,

I think im sort of there but frustratingly it still doesnt appear in lightroom.

The new JPEG format; NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ).lcp.txt

is now saved in Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \

I've changed all th ''True'' to ''False'' in notepad but still it won't show up in LR.

Any ideas?

• 14. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

Oops .. missed that. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 15. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

nickpearse wrote:

Hi Guys,

I think im sort of there but frustratingly it still doesnt appear in lightroom.

The new JPEG format; NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ).lcp.txt

is now saved in Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \

I've changed all th ''True'' to ''False'' in notepad but still it won't show up in LR.

Any ideas?

One minor detail. The text editor adds the plain text file extension .txt when you save the edited lens profile. Rename the file without .txt and it should show up:

NIKON CORPORATION (Sigma_10mm_F2.8_EX_DC_FISHEYE ).lcp

• 16. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR
                                        nickpearse Level 1

Thats great,

Thanks for that help!

It seems to have worked.

Can you now tell me the disadvantages of what i have just done in terms of loss of picture quality...de-fishing...etc?

Many Thanks guys

• 17. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

I don't think there are many disadvantages except for that it is highly

likely that the vignetting correction will be incorrect if you use the raw

profile on jpegs, so you might have to play with the amount slider on that

one in Lens corrections -> Profile.

• 18. Re: Sigma fisheye defish in LR

nickpearse wrote:

Can you now tell me the disadvantages of what i have just done in terms of loss of picture quality...de-fishing...etc?

This is explained in detail at my post #10 in the earlier thread along with alternate solutions:

Re: How can i add the Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye lens profile from the camera profile in windows to lightroom 5?

100% rectilinear correction of fisheye lens images causes extreme corner elongation with "softening" of image detail in the stretched areas.

Canon 8-15mm FE @ 15mm (full-frame)

Fisheye Correction - 100 Percent.jpg