7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 2:21 PM by alpshiker

Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?

alpshiker Level 1

Hi,

This is more a wishful remark aimed at developers than a question.

I have started to use the time-lapse app developed by Sony, on an A7R. The AVI files are located in an invisible subfolder, 3 levels deep inside the PRIVATE folder. For now, I have to copy those AVI files manually into the LR6 catalog (Mac). It is certainly annoying and it can lead to erasing those files from the card without having copied them. Could support for those files be considered in a forthcoming update? That would be great, thanks!

Paul

• 1. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

An AVI file is just a Movie file format. Nothing special about it. The Time Lapse feature in the camera is just making a Movie out of the consecutive shots taken instead of having them as individual image files. LR can work with these AVI files. As to your statement about erasing the files, that is the camera or you doing that not LR. You will need to Manually Copy those files off the cameras memory card using a Card Reader. Then once they are COPIED (Not Moved) from the card to your Mac hard drive you can import them into LR. No Added features needed in LR and no Added software to install or use.

• 2. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
            alpshiker Level 1

Thanks for your tips, but I must apologize for the lack of clarity in my asking !

In fact as I think more about it, this is a possible issue with Mac OS-10.8.5, which I still use. I have just started using the Sony apps, so these are still new to me.

Here is how it works (or rather don't): I do copy a paste of the global PRIVATE file from card to disk as I usually do. I can then import the contents in LR6. All the standard movie clips are there, but none of the AVI files which are contained in another hidden subfolder. In fact these hidden folders contained two levels deeper in a SONY subfolder which stands beside the AVCHD subfolder, are not even taken into the copy paste action. LR 6 doesn't do any better if I use the import action: it only sees the AVCHD subfolder.

I did assume that LR should have seen the SONY folder, but perhaps the issue is else, with OS or wrong root formatting of the card?

• 3. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I think neither. It is up to you at time of copying or importing using LR to include those extra Sub-Folder found on the card.

Sorry I don't use a Sony camera and have never seen the software you are asking about. So I may be way off base.

• 4. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
                alpshiker Level 1

Shootistbond007 wrote:

I think neither. It is up to you at time of copying or importing using LR to include those extra Sub-Folder found on the card.

… I should have instead labelled the question as: "Support for the Sony folder hierarchy in LR 6 for Mac"

This would have been more explicit.

My point is that LR 6 does not see the sub-folder containing the images produced by the Sony apps, at least on my system.

• 5. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
                  alpshiker Level 1

In answer to Bob for : "Why should Lightroom look for files in HIDDEN folders.  They are hidden for a reason.  Maybe you should contact Sony and find out why they are using hidden folders.”

Again, I apologize for the lack of accuracy in the way I formulated my post. The files are not HIDDEN in fact, but they are part of a packet. You have to right click on PRIVATE to "display the packet contents" in order to view them.

As for who does what, in a way you are right, and I'm a bit sick too of all the specialities that some killjoys feel clever to introduce to make our old ways impractical. But I reckon that Sony can probably live without LightRoom, but LightRoom won't go very far without an extensive camera support. Which was first: the egg or the hen. That's just the way it is.

And again, I'm still with Mountain Lion and those using a more recent operating system, and of course windoz, might perhaps not encounter the same problem. That's another reason I posted here, to have maybe another sound from someone.

Cheers

Paul

• 6. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

I guess I misunderstood you when you said the folder were HIDDEN.  I thought you meant the hidden attribute was set in the OS.

Do you have "Include Subfolders checked on the import dialog box?  If they are in a 'PACKET" Lightroom probably won't be able to see them anyway.   Apple puts things in PACKAGES where you have to right click to see the contents so I see what you mean.  It would be interesting to know why Sony does this. 

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 3.09.51 PM.png

• 7. Re: Can support for Sony Time-lapse app files be considered?
                      alpshiker Level 1

Bob Somrak wrote:

I guess I misunderstood you when you said the folder were HIDDEN.  I thought you meant the hidden attribute was set in the OS.

Do you have "Include Subfolders checked on the import dialog box?

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 3.09.51 PM.png

Yeah, some technical things are a bit difficult to explain from my dilettante point of view, and there's also the language barrier.

I tested the depth of folders that LightRoom can search, and I have to bring those files up right into the PRIVATE packet to import them. Maybe it's due to incompatible or not referenced folders names, I can't say.